Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

@h2oskierc

Great discovery -- thanks!  I'm renaming my card to make the distinction clearer.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

FrogAlum wrote:

Anyone who does this needs to be aware that you will have some cleanup work...  I showed many "missing" on both drive, the SD no longer seeing the B&N epub files and the primary drive no longer seeing the epub files other than B&N...  I had a lot of deleting to do but it is well worth it to me...

That ADE saw my B&N books always seemed to annoy and worry me. 

So much so that I never use ADE anymore other than to authorize my nook and download those few books I can't find in any other format.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

Anyone who does this needs to be aware that you will have some cleanup work...  I showed many "missing" on both drive, the SD no longer seeing the B&N epub files and the primary drive no longer seeing the epub files other than B&N...  I had a lot of deleting to do but it is well worth it to me...

That ADE saw my B&N books always seemed to annoy and worry me. 

So much so that I never use ADE anymore other than to authorize my nook and download those few books I can't find in any other format.  

I can't say it worries me, it does annoy me because I have to deal with all the error messages...  Now I won't have to unless I click on that drive for some reason...

New User
silverwolff
0 Kudos

I have tried all of the steps recommended, but ADE will not see my nook. 

I've deleted the folders I was told to delete. I tried unplugging/replugging, quitting/restarting, everything. But every time I open ADE and the nook is plugged in (either before or after), and ADE does not see the nook at all.

HELP!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

silverwolff wrote:

I have tried all of the steps recommended, but ADE will not see my nook. 

I've deleted the folders I was told to delete. I tried unplugging/replugging, quitting/restarting, everything. But every time I open ADE and the nook is plugged in (either before or after), and ADE does not see the nook at all.

HELP!!!

Please be specific as to which folder you deleted (there is only one you need to delete).

Power off (all the way off) your computer and reboot. Then try again.

Make sure you us EJECT and not Safely remove as documented on page 149 of the manual when disconnecting the nook.

Make sure you plug the nook directly into the computer, and not a hub.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

And if you would rather have your ADE stuff only on your MicroSD card can you delete those folders from nook main memory?

Or are they needed there as well?

Not saying this is a good Idea, just asking...

OK, I just found a flaw with this.  I have checked out two library eBooks this afternoon (my account just got setup, yay!), and it seems, for me at least, that these books only work on the nook's main storage, and not if they are on the microSD.  When I put them on the microSD the author comes through unknown, and the book will not open.  I get no error, but instead it says "opening your document" and then brings me back to the My Documents area.

Is there anybody else that can test this out and see what you find?

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

How to download library ebooks

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your NOOK.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “NOOK” icon.

4.  Undock the NOOK from your computer.

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Michael-V

There are people begging for help with battery and 3g and rapid drain problems.

No disrespect intended, but to waste B&Ns time weighing in on this exhaustive thread with cut and paste which is less clear than Frogs is, well, a waste of time.

What can you tell us about the Rapid Drain issue.  How can we avoid that?  

(And yes, I fully realize I'm setting my self up for another digital smackdown)...

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@icebike,

To ensure consistency, detailed and accurate information is posted and reposted. 

We are looking into the 'rapid drain' issue. 

Thank you for your feedback.

New User
beachboundsoon
0 Kudos

Ok, I have gone through this thread bit by bit and I also just spent an hour on the phone with B&N support and I STILL can't read my library books!

I have ADE all set up, authorized and it recognizes my nook.  I have clicked and dragged the books to my nook, ejected my nook and they show up in My Documents on the nook.  When I try to open any of them I get the error of "User not Authorized".  My ADE username is the same email as my B&N username/email.  Tech support went through everything with me, deleting the books from the nook, deleting Digital Editions folder, rebooting the nook, rebooting the computer and still no success.  They said to re-download the books from the library, which I did (in PDF and EPUB, just to check) and still NO.

The only thing I can think of is when my nook is plugged into my computer and I click on my nook to open it, the books show up only in my Digital Editions folder, not My Documents folder.  If that makes a difference, how do I get them in My Documents.  I tried moving the whole Digital Editions folder into the My Documents folder but that didn't work either.

BTW, I am working on a Mac OS 10.6.4.

Please HELP!!!  I am going on vacation in two days and if I can't get these books to open I need to get going on some other books!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You are sure you can read these books on the Mac?

In other words, is it possible the download is using a different ADE id-name than the Nook?

New User
beachboundsoon
0 Kudos

I'm not sure about a different ADE id name, but I can open the content on ADE and read them on my computer.  Does that make sense?  Sorry if I don't know completely what you are talking about, still trying to figure out all this tech stuff, I just recently got my nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

beachboundsoon wrote:

Sorry if I don't know completely what you are talking about, still trying to figure out all this tech stuff, I just recently got my nook.

There's no reason to assume I know what I'm talking about either.  

I was just "top-of-my-heading" you, to make sure the ADE account you authorized the nook with was the same account you borrowed with and the same account your mac is authorized with.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

beachboundsoon wrote:

I'm not sure about a different ADE id name, but I can open the content on ADE and read them on my computer.  Does that make sense?  Sorry if I don't know completely what you are talking about, still trying to figure out all this tech stuff, I just recently got my nook.

Things went wacky with 1.4 regarding ADE also...  Trying deleting both digital editions folders from your Nook.  Reboot it then plug it back into your computer, reauthorize it and drag the books to the nook again.  This has worked for others that had this same problem.

New User
beachboundsoon
0 Kudos

Thanks Frog.  I did that a couple different times with the B&N support guy and also just did it again.  No luck.

Also, my bad, the error I am getting is User Not "Activated" (not "Authorized" as I originally posted).

Any other ideas?  I know my Adobe ID is same for the authorization of the nook and for the computer, too.  The same email is on my library account, but it is not my user id, should that matter?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

If your computer was not authorized when you downloaded the books to ADE, the user of the books will not match with your Abobe ID (the books will be encrypted with some kind of anonymous user).

If you are sure that you computer and Nook are both authorized correctly now, try deleting the books in ADE and download them again from the library. This way you can be sure that the books are encrypted with your Adobe ID.

New User
beachboundsoon
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input.  I actually have already deleted the books from ADE and downloaded them again from my library account.  It is still saying "User not Activated".

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Is there a way to change the user for ADE?

I have two different accounts and the one I want is the one on my work computer.

BTW: Frog thank you so much for the link, it helped a lot today.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I suspect if you delete the .adobe_digital_editions folder on the nook's main drive you could re-authorize it with a different account.

I don't know if ADE allows two authorizations on the same device but you could try that as well.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I don't think I can handle the stress! I'm OK with easy stuff, once I get into deletions I get frustrated. I was doing it so I could download stuff that I got to a friend's nook from my laptop.