Reader 4
Lady_Di_52
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I just got my Nook and want to be able to read 'library' books, too.  I haven't downloaded ADE yet, but where do you go to borrow library books on the web??

Thanks, in advance for your help.

Frequent Contributor
buckysrevenge
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

overdrive.com hosts a ebooks for a number of local libraries. It depends on if your local library participates.

Reader
JENNJENNTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would like to extend my gratitude from a new nook owner! Not all the books in overdrive are avalible but I wondered HOW I could possibly get a book to my nook,

THANK YOU SO SUPER MUCH!

One question I do have is, once its downloaded, and I need longer to read the book and want to recheck it out, would I need to delete the one I had first, then go back to library, recheck it out, then do the steps all over again because of the dmr? I think thats what you said?

:smileyhappy:

Reader
JENNJENNTX
0 Kudos

LadyDi the best thing to do is go to your local library location..i.e. Mine

Houston Public Library and look for OverDrive and they have something about netlibrary but i heard from all the posts it sucks. But if you have a library card you should be able to check them out in your area over the net if they are in the digital age, LOL. 

Then do the ADE thingy ma bob :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

JENNJENNTX wrote:

I would like to extend my gratitude from a new nook owner! Not all the books in overdrive are avalible but I wondered HOW I could possibly get a book to my nook,

THANK YOU SO SUPER MUCH!

One question I do have is, once its downloaded, and I need longer to read the book and want to recheck it out, would I need to delete the one I had first, then go back to library, recheck it out, then do the steps all over again because of the dmr? I think thats what you said?

:smileyhappy:

Yes, and then reborrow it.

Reader
JENNJENNTX
0 Kudos

Ty Reader :smileywink: :smileytongue:

Contributor
paranoidmother21
0 Kudos

New ADE question - frog, oh wondrous goddess of ADE, are you here?

I use ADE (successfully, so far...) for library books and books purchased from other sources.  DD is getting a nook, and I would like to add her nook to my ADE, rather than setting up a separate account.

Possible?  How?

Thanks!

Contributor
VMyers
0 Kudos

Did you ever solve the issue with the "user not activated" error message?  I have deleted the digital folder several times off the nook and have put the books back on after closing everything and restarting the ADE program but no luck.  The library books are in "My Documents" but don't open or look like the book on ADE - even the titles have been changed.  For example, the book Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton is showing as Pirate_Latitudes Unknown author.  At this point, I have done this several times and still keep getting the message.  Anyone have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them since I just got the nook 3 days ago and am ready to take it back...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

VMyers wrote:

The library books are in "My Documents"

How did you put the library books onto your NOOK? Did you use Adobe Digital Editions?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

VMyers wrote:

I have deleted the digital folder several times off the nook and have put the books back on after closing everything and restarting the ADE program but no luck. 

In addition to Doug's question above, precisely WHICH "Digital" folder did you delete from the nook.  (exact name).

After deleting said folder, (what ever it was) did ADE ask you if you wanted to authorize the nook when you next plugged it in?

New User
trobinson84

Thank You soo much!!! i have been trying to download my library ebooks, to my nook, for the past 3 weeks. I had to check them out again! Your instructions were easily understood! thanks again!!

New User
joyfulrdr
0 Kudos

This all sounds so complicated: borrowing from the library, purchasing from another source other than B&N, ePub, ADE, yadayadayada...

For those of us who just want to read a book from wherever it came how can the process be made simpler, i.e. purchasing e-books for dummy simple?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

joyfulrdr wrote:

For those of us who just want to read a book from wherever it came how can the process be made simpler, i.e. purchasing e-books for dummy simple?

If you want drop dead simple, just purchase from Barnes & Noble.  With 2 Million titles, hundreds of thousands of them free, what could be easier?

The only way to get current best sellers for free is the Public Library approach, and the only improvement I could see coming in that arena would be direct download of the ebook from the library's system over the air to your nook.  But really don't see a book seller offering that. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

joyfulrdr wrote:

This all sounds so complicated: borrowing from the library, purchasing from another source other than B&N, ePub, ADE, yadayadayada...

Once you get Adobe Digital Editions installed and your Nook authorized, it's really not all that complicated.

Find the book at the library.

Check out the book.

Download the file

Connect the Nook to the computer

Double click on it to open in ADE

Copy from ADE to the Nook in the bookshelf on the left of the ADE screen.

Eject your Nook from the computer using the eject option, not safely remove hardware.

Disconnect the Nook.

Go to My Documents on the Nook.  If you don't see the book, tap Check for New Content

Sounds like a lot of steps, generally takes about 2-3 minutes total.

Contributor
NanKR
0 Kudos

Hi!

Downloading library books to my Nook used to be a breeze, until my computer died.  Now I have a new one.  I've downloaded, authorized and activated ADE and authorized my device.  I'm still getting the "No permission to copy document here" message when I drag a book to my Nook.  Help?

Contributor
NanKR
0 Kudos

Hi!

I forgot to request and email when someone responds to this on my previous post so please ignore it and answer here if you have an answer.  Thanks!

Downloading library books to my Nook used to be a breeze, until my computer died.  Now I have a new one.  I've downloaded, authorized and activated ADE and authorized my device.  I'm still getting the "No permission to copy document here" message when I drag a book to my Nook.  Help?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NanKR wrote:

That usually means that you're trying to copy a library book using Windows Explorer or the like. Library books need to be installed using ADE, so that ADE can set up your NOOK to have the expiration date, etc.

Try copying the library book inside of Adobe Digital Editions.

New User
Rebeccas80
0 Kudos

Hello all. Ihave read this question a couple times in this board but when people ask follow up questions they do not answer...

I have downloaded book from the library (it is override) It was downloaded into ADE. I have activated my nook with ADE ( my nook shows up in ADE) and I can transfer books from ADE to my nook. I go into "my documents" on my nook and my transferred book is listed but with author unknown and when I open it I get an error message that  "user is not activated"  any suggestions. I have been working on this for the 3 days Ihave had my nook and I am getting frustrated.

Thank you

New User
Rebeccas80
0 Kudos

sorry it is overdrive

Contributor
NanKR
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what you mean.  It's all going through ADE.  The book is there in ADE, my Nook is authorized.  I'm doing everything I did before when I was able to download books.  I'm not sure what you mean by copying a book inside ADE.

Nancy :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

NanKR wrote:

That usually means that you're trying to copy a library book using Windows Explorer or the like. Library books need to be installed using ADE, so that ADE can set up your NOOK to have the expiration date, etc.

Try copying the library book inside of Adobe Digital Editions.