New User
Marie2311
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I am hoping you will be able to help me. 

I have just checked out my first book from the library.  I downloaded them to ADE on my computer and transferred them to my Nook.  Before I did this I got my computer authorized on ADE and I got my Nook recognized on my ADE.

The books show up in my documents on my Nook.

BUT.....Now when I go to read one of these books, it won't open it.  I get an error message on my Nook that says "User not activated".

What did I do wrong??  Please help!!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

This is a known issue with ADE. The Authorization file becomes corrupted, usually because the Nook has not been properly ejected from the computer. The fix is to hook up the nook to the computer and open the Nook drive, find the Adobe Digital Editions folder and delete it. This will allow you to reauthorise the Nook with ADE. Then always make sure you eject the Nook drive from your computer.

Marie2311 wrote:

I am hoping you will be able to help me. 

I have just checked out my first book from the library.  I downloaded them to ADE on my computer and transferred them to my Nook.  Before I did this I got my computer authorized on ADE and I got my Nook recognized on my ADE.

The books show up in my documents on my Nook.

BUT.....Now when I go to read one of these books, it won't open it.  I get an error message on my Nook that says "User not activated".

What did I do wrong??  Please help!!

New User
Gravity_Crashing
0 Kudos

Hi -

I still I have issue with the error : no permission to copy.

The NOOK appears in ADE and I have tried all the different steps and "fixes" and I still get "no permission to copy"

One step states: 

• “Device Setup Assistant” box should appear.
  • Click “Authorize Device”

How do I ask ADE to authorize my NOOK, I think that the problem. The box does not appear. Thanks

New User
kellyx6
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the easy to follow instructions--I was pulling out my hair trying to figure this one out!!!

Contributor
Beebs62
0 Kudos

Yay! New to this board (this is my third post) and was excited when I got an elibrary card from another library, but didn't try to open the book until today. Thank you, thank you, thank you for these instructions. I can finally read my book and don't have to see "unauthorized user".

I realize these posts are nearly six months old, but thanks once again!

Reader
AlliKitty
0 Kudos

I have downloaded ADE onto my PC, deleted the ADE file from my Nook, authorized both the PC and the NOOK in ADE, downloaded public library books onto my PC and sideloaded them to my Nook using ADE, checked for new content, and the books are showing up on the Nook.  My usernames and passwords are the same for both my BN.com account and my Adobe account.

HOWEVER, when I attempt to open the ebooks on my Nook, I'm asked to "unlock" them using the credit card number I used to purchase them.  Obviously, since they were borrowed from my public library, there is no such number; I tried using my library card number, just for fun, but that got me nowhere.

Can someone please help me with this?  I bought the Nook because it was supposed to be able to read public library books; if I can't make it work for this purpose, it's going right back to the store.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlliKitty wrote:

I have downloaded ADE onto my PC, deleted the ADE file from my Nook, authorized both the PC and the NOOK in ADE, downloaded public library books onto my PC and sideloaded them to my Nook using ADE, checked for new content, and the books are showing up on the Nook.  My usernames and passwords are the same for both my BN.com account and my Adobe account.

HOWEVER, when I attempt to open the ebooks on my Nook, I'm asked to "unlock" them using the credit card number I used to purchase them.  Obviously, since they were borrowed from my public library, there is no such number; I tried using my library card number, just for fun, but that got me nowhere.

Can someone please help me with this?  I bought the Nook because it was supposed to be able to read public library books; if I can't make it work for this purpose, it's going right back to the store.

It's an ADE issue, not a Nook issue.  

Just to be sure, when you connected your Nook, inside ADE, you saw a shelf that said "Nook".  And you copied the book to that shelf from within ADE?  Not using Windows Explorer or any other program, but ADE?

Can you open them in ADE?

And I'm reading a book from the library right now, I do it all the time, so the Nook does what it says and lets you read books from the library.  Somewhere, something is missing in your setup.

Reader
AlliKitty
0 Kudos

Yep, I opened ADE, plugged in the Nook, authorized it when ADE asked me to, then dragged and dropped the books (in ADE) into the Nook, ejectecd the Nook and checked for new content and there they were.  I can read the books in ADE and I can see the books on the Nook, just can't "unlock" them.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

It sounds like your NOOK isn't authorized in ADE, even though you authorized it.  Apparently ADE isn't recognizing it?

Try deleting the Digital Editions folder and the .adobe-digital-editions folder from your NOOK. 

Unplug, reboot and try to reauthorize.

New User
barbsnookbw
0 Kudos

Hi -

I have been following the trouble w/adobe ADE and Nook - what if you have a Mac and a Nook and the ADE won't autherize the Nook? 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Your problem is that the finder on the Mac will not display the .adobe-digital-editions folder because it considers any folder name starting with a dot to be a restricted system folder.

Follow this link to Apple support for instructions on how to find the folder which you can then delete to authorize your NOOK.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20623?viewlocale=en_US

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Here's another link if you are using Snow Leopard:

http://www.macworld.com/article/142884/2009/09/106seehidden.html

New User
sgrlstar1
0 Kudos

I was able to download the books from the library onto the adobe digital editions but it still does not see my nook color reader, any tips? and when I tried to put the books from my computer onto the nook then I tried to read the book and the error dialog said user not activated? and my nook is activated and registered so i dont know what to do.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

sgrlstar1 wrote:

I was able to download the books from the library onto the adobe digital editions but it still does not see my nook color reader, any tips? and when I tried to put the books from my computer onto the nook then I tried to read the book and the error dialog said user not activated? and my nook is activated and registered so i dont know what to do.

You have to copy the books from your computer to the Nook from within ADE, that's what the user not activated error means.  Did you read all the instructions at the beginning of this thread, which explains step by step how to get ADE up and running. I'm pretty sure they're essentially the same for the Nook Color.  You could also try posting your question on the NookColor technical support forum, that's where most of the NookColor users are.

New User
sgrlstar1
0 Kudos

Oh thank you, it worked!

New User
mimi2lrmc
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help, Frog!  Your instructions were very easy to follow!  You're the bestest!  :smileyhappy:

New User
steveh2
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks for this article!  But I have a problem.  I installed ADE, downloaded a book from my library, authorized my Nook in ADE, then dragged & dropped the book onto my Nook.  ADE sees it on my Nook, but when I unplug my Nook from the PC, the book doesn't show up in "My Library".  Just to be sure, I went back to ADE and dragged & dropped to my Nook again, and it says the book is already there.....but I can't see it on the Nook.  Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

steveh2 wrote:

Hi, thanks for this article!  But I have a problem.  I installed ADE, downloaded a book from my library, authorized my Nook in ADE, then dragged & dropped the book onto my Nook.  ADE sees it on my Nook, but when I unplug my Nook from the PC, the book doesn't show up in "My Library".  Just to be sure, I went back to ADE and dragged & dropped to my Nook again, and it says the book is already there.....but I can't see it on the Nook.  Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Library books and other sideloaded books are found under My Documents on the Nook.

New User
cyrambo
0 Kudos

Hey, I have followed the directions on this thread and am still having a problem.  I just got a new computer, so when I bought a new book from Borders, I downloaded ADE, signed in with my Adobe account, registered my computer, "opened" the download in ADE, plugged in my nook, had my nook registered, "authorized" it through ADE and dragged my book from my library to my nook shelf.  The little green plus sign showed up and the book copied.  I am able to see it on my nook, but when I try to open it, it says "Sorry, unable to open this book."

So, I deleted the relevent folders, tried to repeat the process and got the same result.  Also, when I authorize the nook, I get another message saying that some file is licensed to another account, but I can't figure out if it means the book I just bought (which I can open and read through ADE) or some other file I've got on my nook. 

So, any suggestions for reading this or future books on my Nook?

Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

cyrambo wrote:

Hey, I have followed the directions on this thread and am still having a problem.  I just got a new computer, so when I bought a new book from Borders, I downloaded ADE, signed in with my Adobe account, registered my computer, "opened" the download in ADE, plugged in my nook, had my nook registered, "authorized" it through ADE and dragged my book from my library to my nook shelf.  The little green plus sign showed up and the book copied.  I am able to see it on my nook, but when I try to open it, it says "Sorry, unable to open this book."

So, I deleted the relevent folders, tried to repeat the process and got the same result.  Also, when I authorize the nook, I get another message saying that some file is licensed to another account, but I can't figure out if it means the book I just bought (which I can open and read through ADE) or some other file I've got on my nook. 

So, any suggestions for reading this or future books on my Nook?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about your first question, but the 2nd one, Document is licensed for a different user account, that one normally relates to the B&N books on your Nook.  ADE is trying to read them and it can't, so you get that message.  You can tell which book it is, the number in the epub file name is the ISBN number.