Reply
New User
rogingat
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎05-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I did everything as described in your procedure and it all worked fine until I got to opening the book on my Nook. I get a message "user not activated". even though I was able to connect the Nook to ADE and activate it. help.

Roger

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


rogingat wrote:

I did everything as described in your procedure and it all worked fine until I got to opening the book on my Nook. I get a message "user not activated". even though I was able to connect the Nook to ADE and activate it. help.

Roger


Try this:

 



  1. Plug your nook into your computer.
  2. Close ADE if it's open.
  3. Open your nook drive in Windows Explorer.
  4. Delete the folders .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions from your nook's drive.
  5. Disconnect the nook from your computer (using Eject).
  6. Open ADE on your computer.
  7. Plug your nook into your computer.
  8. ADE should prompt you with a query to Authorize the device. Select yes.
New User
rogingat
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎05-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

It worked. Thanks for your help. I did get an error during the authorization process, something about not being able to create a backup folder?

Anyway I was able to load the book that I purchased yesterday on to the Nook.

Reader 2
Mirager
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

[ Edited ]

I keep having these same issues.  I used to be able to download library books just fine with ADE, but it's not downloading onto the Nook properly.  The books will show up with a generic looking title, and they all say "unknown author".  The books show up perfectly on ADE, and I can read them through it, but they won't open on my Nook, even though they show up on the Document shelf.  And I notice when I look at the "item details" of these books on my Nook, that the Publication dates all come up as December 31, 1969.  I don't think that this is an issue with the library, but I can't figure out if it's my Nook or ADE.  I have deleted the folders that have been previously mentioned to see if that would help, but it doesn't at all. 

Reader 2
Mirager
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Ok, I don't know if this is what helped, but I deleted ADE, restarted my pc, and reinstalled ADE.  After about 4 hours of fooling with the problem, I finally did get my library books onto my Nook.  I was very concerned that my Nook was messed up, and that it possibly had a virus.  Thank you for all of the troubleshooting tips, even if they are months old!

Reader 4
fancyfrancy
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

 

Everything has worked form me, did the drag and drop and when I look at my ADE it shows the library books in my nook but they don't actually show up on the nook!  What am I doing wrong?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


fancyfrancy wrote:

 

Everything has worked form me, did the drag and drop and when I look at my ADE it shows the library books in my nook but they don't actually show up on the nook!  What am I doing wrong?


Make sure you're in "My Documents" not "My B&N Library" (assuming this is the white plastic NOOK) and then tap "Check for new contents."

 

If that doesn't work, someone smarter than me is going to have to assist.  :smileyvery-happy:

Reader 4
fancyfrancy
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Thank you so much.  I did have to delete and re-authorize but now it works!  Thanks a bunch!!

New User
Russell93
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-15-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Using ADE on Mac to fetch library books. All appears fine with book appearing on Nook, but it won't open. The Nook "drive" on Mac shows only a Digital Editions folder, but B&N support says I should have adobe.digital.editions folder as well. They couldn't help in resloving this. Any one else experience and know how to resolve?

New User
JulSki410
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-15-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I am having the same issues.  On a MacBook (but also tried on my windows vista PC).  deleted digital folder but didn't find the other one... deauthorized everything - reauthorized everything - downloaded the book again - transfers to the Nook fine but still gives me a user not authorized message.  I am SOOO frustrated !  Been working on this for 3-4 hours now.  uninstalled and reinstalled ADE - and have gone through all the steps several times to no avail.  If anyone has any updated information - please help! ThANKS!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


Russell93 wrote:

Using ADE on Mac to fetch library books. All appears fine with book appearing on Nook, but it won't open. The Nook "drive" on Mac shows only a Digital Editions folder, but B&N support says I should have adobe.digital.editions folder as well. They couldn't help in resloving this. Any one else experience and know how to resolve?


From what I understand the .adobe.digital.editions folder is hidden on the Mac.  Don't know how you find it, but there are some posts here on the subject, you may have to do some extra searching to find it.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
Posts: 864
Registered: ‎12-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

[ Edited ]

The ease of viewing hidden folders on a Mac varies depending on which version of OS X is installed.  This can make deleting the preinstalled, hidden Adobe folder a challenge.

 

Here's a link to a way to view hidden files:

 

http://www.macworld.com/article/142884/2009/09/106seehidden.html

 

"Snow Leopard offers a new solution to the hidden file dilemma: the ability to see hidden files quickly, but only in Open and Save dialogs.

In any Open or Save dialog in Snow Leopard, simply press Shift-Command-Period to display hidden files and folders. This command is a toggle; hidden files will be displayed as you navigate various directories in the Open or Save dialog.

To hide the hidden files again, just press Shift-Command-Period again. The setting is temporary, though—hidden files will always be hidden when the Open or Save dialog appears onscreen. (Somewhat obviously, this also only works if you’ve clicked the triangular button to expand the dialogs to show the folder browser.)"

 

There's another method here:

 

http://www.codejacked.com/view-hidden-folders-in-mac-osx-finder/
 

New User
JulSki410
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-15-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!  Deleting that other hidden " .**** directory  "  did the trick.  Mac users - this has to be the key - I tried everything else repeatedly for hours.  I just used to Terminal command explained in the link above - (It's under finder>applications>utilities>terminal) and then I just restarted the whole computer (not just finder).  connected nook, deleted both those folders, THEN opened ADE and it gave me the dialogue box to authorize nook.  I also took the extra step of deleting the library book from ADE altogether, then downloaded it again from my library ( not sure if this was necessary but I did it anyway - if I had gotten one more error message I would have gone searching for a cliff to jump off of).  My first clue that something was different was that the book showed up as an actual title on Nook in "my documents" and the author's name was there (things that were not happening before).   So YAY it works now.  I am so grateful for these boards because I would have given up a long time ago if you all weren't here helping.  If I can help anyone else, please let me know !

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
Posts: 864
Registered: ‎12-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

Glad to hear that you solved it.  

Reader 2
Steffie
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I have a nookcolor that is authorized on ADE, however  it tells me I need to repair Nookcolor any time I try to transfer any book from adobe to nook. Several times I don't even get it to recognize my nook is attached.

 

I've read through most of the responses here, but I'm not seeing anything that sounds like the issue I'm having with it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Reader 2
brandy42
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I've read through nine pages and can't find a problem like mine.

I've used ADE fine for the past four months or so, then two weeks ago, like usual I downloaded three books from my library, I put them on my nook and read them. When I went to return them, my ADE library was empty, so I re-opened them to return them early and checked out two new books. I put them on my nook and then decided to get another book...and the two books that I had just checked out were no longer in my ADE library.
I wasn't ready to return them but was still kinda irritated. Now, when I dl'd my third book I saw it in ADE and then accidentally closed ADE, when I opened it it was gone.

 

I know that all I have to do is go re-open it and it will show back up and I can load it on my nook
but WTF? Why are my books just disappearing?

It's really, really annoying. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,139
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


brandy42 wrote:

I've read through nine pages and can't find a problem like mine.

I've used ADE fine for the past four months or so, then two weeks ago, like usual I downloaded three books from my library, I put them on my nook and read them. When I went to return them, my ADE library was empty, so I re-opened them to return them early and checked out two new books. I put them on my nook and then decided to get another book...and the two books that I had just checked out were no longer in my ADE library.
I wasn't ready to return them but was still kinda irritated. Now, when I dl'd my third book I saw it in ADE and then accidentally closed ADE, when I opened it it was gone.

 

I know that all I have to do is go re-open it and it will show back up and I can load it on my nook
but WTF? Why are my books just disappearing?

It's really, really annoying. 


The books are saved in the My Digital Editions Folder on your computer. Have you checked to make sure your hard drive isn't damaged? Make sure that the books are being saved into this folder or ADE will not see them.

Frequent Contributor
EileenP
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

I have been getting library books on my nook since I got my nook in December 2009, and I get that the message about "the document is licensed for a different user" is about ADE attempting to open the books on my nook- but I am finding that it now takes longer and longer for ADE to cycle through this process as I get more and more books on my nook- Does anyone know if there is a fix on the ADE side to "don't ask me about this again" type of thing?  I don't have to click OK every time, but I get so many pop ups!!

 

Just venting and wondering if anyone else knows the answer to this...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.


EileenP wrote:

I have been getting library books on my nook since I got my nook in December 2009, and I get that the message about "the document is licensed for a different user" is about ADE attempting to open the books on my nook- but I am finding that it now takes longer and longer for ADE to cycle through this process as I get more and more books on my nook- Does anyone know if there is a fix on the ADE side to "don't ask me about this again" type of thing?  I don't have to click OK every time, but I get so many pop ups!!

 

Just venting and wondering if anyone else knows the answer to this...


You are correct, the more books you have on the Nook, and especially the more B&N books you have, the longer it takes ADE to cycle through all of them . There's currently no fix for it, since ADE doesn't know if it's a BN epub or an ePub that needs ADE.  If Adobe ever updates ADE for B&N social DRM, this problem "should" go away to some extent, but, it's still going to take awhile to read all the books on the device.

 

My solution, connect my Nook and then go away and do something else for a while.  When I get back, ADE is ready. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
Posts: 262
Registered: ‎04-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) - Library Books and Vendors other than B&N.

@FrogAlum.  Thanks for the ADE instructions.  All went well until I tried to download a book to the NC from ADE.  At first I thought that ADE was not seeing the NC. So I went through all of the various deleting adobe digital editions file and so on.  I even uninstalled and reinstralled and reinitialized ADE and my NC and restarted my pc. 

 

Well I don't know if anyone else has done this or not, but I realized I was on the wrong view on ADE, i.e. I was in reading view so when I scrolled down on the left I couldn't see the NC.  Well I just noticed at the top of ADE on the far left, little icons, one looks like a stack of books (Library View) and the other looks like an open book (Reading View).  I clicked on Library View and voila', at the bottom left was Media (my NC).  Drag and drop and all is good.  Book opened up with no problem.  Hope this helps someone.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.