Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Using eInk with Nook Hd+?

When I got my HD+ I unregistered my eInk. I'd like to take my eInk to work but I'm not sure I can have all the books I have on my HD+ on my eInk reader as well. Is this possible? That way I can leave my HD+ at home and keep my eInk at work. Thanks!
´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

Re: Using eInk with Nook Hd+?

I'm pretty sure all your purchased books will automatically sync across both devices (ie: your B&N library should be available on both device library screens).  You can even pick up right where you left off in a book on both devices.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

There are some enhanced/PagePerfect eBooks and magazines that won't be available on your NST. Also, the NST has A LOT less internal memory. So, if you have a large library of NookBooks they may not all fit. Since you unregistered your NST before, I think it'll only automatically download your last few purchases and then you'll have to manually indicate which of the rest you want downloaded.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I have both devices as well and all my books do go over. As stated, some of the magazines will not be compatible with the NGL so you won't see them.  I continue to have sync issues though so be prepared to spend some time keeping the two in tune with each other. Best bet is probably to stop at a chapter break.  It's crazy that it should be this way but it is what it is I guess. One thing I did discover which I'm not particluarly happy about is that not all wish lists are created equal. I have a three different ones it would appear. One on each device and one on the web site. According to what I read, they should all be the same with the exception that the devices should only show those items which can be purchased and downloaded to the device. If so, this is NOT the case.  I have approx 10 books in my Nook wish list on line (ALL Nook Books) and only 4 on my HD+. There are ZERO books in the wish list on my NGL.  I love my Nooks but I continue to be disappointed by the way they interact with each other and the web site.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Syncing is trickier than most folks think it is, because of services like Netflix.

Netflix syncing-

you connect to them for content, when you stop watching it your account is flagged for where you stopped.  You connect on a different device on the same account and it just picks up where you left off.

There can be issues with that if you suddenly and unexpectedly lose your connection, your sync will be a bit behind where you actually were.

B&N syncing

You have your content on your device, and sync (I believe) when you 'close' the ebook by say going to your homescreen.  But you need wifi as well, and it needs to be an ok connection at least. 

So if your Nook can't sync at that time you may hit some issues. 

A different problem is keeping wifi on does consume battery. 

Page numbers should be a fairly close match, you may need to go through a bit since the HDs can display more text than the eink Nooks, but they should be close. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I was kind of playing with this this weekend, I had both devices with me at home (excellent wifi signal) and I was going back and forth between the two to see how well they did. I did kind of expect some difference given that the HD+ has bigger pages but without exception, when it synced on the NGL, it ALWAYS seems to sync to the farthest point on the page instead of the beginning of thepage but I guess there's just no way to really know. I can accept that. What bothered me was that when I purposely stopped at the end of a chapter on one device, often times the other would not even realize that I was now two chapters ahead. More disturbing were those occasions when I would have both devices turned on but reading on one and then turned them off and on again to find that both devices synced to the device that had NOT been read on putting me two chapters behind on both devices.  Do these devices sync on the fly if you are reading in a wifi area? Is there some magic trick to having the one you ar reading sync right when you're done because I just can't seem to get this technique down.  I have even tried to manually tell them each to sync when i'm done reading and still I seem to have issues.  I do seem to find that when reading on the NGL, I am far more apt to see the HD+ offer to sync to furtherest page. Conversely, if I am reading on the HD+ and then go the the NGL, it is not nearly as apt to ask to sync to furthest page

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone! :smileyhappy:
´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I think I figured out that I have far better luck if I sync the device when I'm done reading but BEFORE I exit the book.  It doesn't seem to be able to figure it all all the time if I exit the book and then tell the Nook to sync.  Whatever works I guess.  Loving my HD+ and NGL  :heart:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

ConnieL4193 wrote:

I think I figured out that I have far better luck if I sync the device when I'm done reading but BEFORE I exit the book.  It doesn't seem to be able to figure it all all the time if I exit the book and then tell the Nook to sync.  Whatever works I guess.  Loving my HD+ and NGL  :heart:

You can trying doing both also.  Sync, then close, go to the library, then sync again.  Or, not sure how it is exactly on the NGL, but you may have most luck just always syncing from the library (I find having the library open helps on the NST).

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I try syncing every way I can but find that if I can get it to sync while the book is open, that is the best bet. That's easy to do on the NGL, not so much on the HD+ (that I know of). If there's another way, I'm open to suggestion but when I have the book open (HD+), I need to turn wifi off and on again to get it to start syncing. I can do this while I have the book open.  The only other way I know to sync is to go to the library but then I'm not sure if the book is open.  ???