New User
Knappy67
0 Kudos

Viewing PDF scanned image files

When I upload PDF files of scanned books, is there any way I can just view the scanned page images on a Nook Simple Touch?

Here's my problem: I want to view an old scanned copy of one of the Harvard Classics from the Internet Archive. They offer a PDF copy of the scanned pages. The page sizes are relatively small-- very close to the screen size of the Nook. However, when I upload it to the Nook, I get the OCR'd text on the screen (and it's barely readible with all the errors, crazy fonts and font sizes, etc.).

If I figure out a way to strip the OCR'd text from the file and reupload it, will it just show me the image instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Viewing PDF scanned image files

I'm inclined to suspect the problem is with your PDF.  Pretty sure the Nook has no OCR capabilities, which means your scanning software must have OCR'ed it, and that's what the Nook is trying to display.  It should be possible to scan to a PDF with nothing but the scanned images. 

Just a guess.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Also, if the PDF calls for a font that doesn't exist on the nook (and isn't embedded in the PDF), the Nook has to guess at what would be "close" and use that font instead.

That can cause incredibly bad formatting.

It's far better to avoid PDFs and find an epub version, if you can.

Mercury_Glitch

You can also try running the PDF through Calibre to convert it to epub.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines. - Spam/Solicitation

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines. - Spam/Solicitation

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

It appears our Chinese friends are at it again.  Both of the last two posts point to remarkably similar websites with different domain names.

New User
cathy345
0 Kudos

Knappy67 wrote:

If I figure out a way to strip the OCR'd text from the file and reupload it, will it just show me the image instead? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am more interested in your way to strip the OCR'd text from file. Would you please share it with me ?

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

cathy345 wrote:

Knappy67 wrote:

I am more interested in your way to strip the OCR'd text from file. Would you please share it with me ?

Kappy made one post and hasn't been back since March.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/588214

If the PDF is TEXT and not images of text, Calibre can convert it to another format (including plain text).  Formatting may be tricky so you'll have to play around with the options.

Otherwise, there are free OCR programs available.  Google for them.  Sometimes they work nicely, sometimes the results are insanely bad.  It all depends on the quality and complexity of your source material.

New User
palincss
0 Kudos

I've encountered two basic issues with PDF: page size and (hideous) OCR'd text.  I've solved both problems using k2pdfopt  http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/  There are versions for Windows, Linux and OSX. 

I won't say it will work for every PDF, but I was pretty desperate to get a readable copy of Haycraft's classic Murder for Pleasure and the archive.org epub has so many scanning errors it's essentially unreadable.  That left the PDF, but as you know, if there's a text layer in the PDF that's what gets displayed on the NST, and in the case of the archive.org PDF of Murder for Pleasure the OCR layer was gibberish that made ransom notes look good by comparison.  pdfopt stripped out the OCR'd text layer and also resized the pages so the book is readable.  

New User
pittypan
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I'm inclined to suspect the problem is with your PDF.  Pretty sure the Nook has no OCR capabilities, which means your scanning software must have OCR'ed it, and that's what the Nook is trying to display.  It should be possible to scan to a PDF with nothing but the scanned images. 

Just a guess.

So in your opinion, will Nook is the best app for reading scanned PDF file? Compared to other common pdf reader like Foxit and Adobe?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

the NST certainly wouldn't be my first choice for anything with pictures in it. If it's just text it does OK, but would still be better read off of a tablet style device or a PC or laptop.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716