New User
tmpuid
Accepted Solution

WHY can't I open any .jpg file in Nook STR?

I get this error " This NOOK cannot read this file. It may be an unsupported format." and all .jpg files show up as icons with a "?" in the center.

I'm not talking about setting up screensavers. I simple have a few comic books that are in .jpg format and I would like to read on Nook STR.

If I load the same set of .jpg files into the "Screensaver" folder, then these .jpg files do show up as screensaver when Nook goes to sleep. But these files themselves just won't open in any way when I click on them no matter where I put them in Nook.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: WHY can't I open any .jpg file in Nook STR?

I don't think you can open any jpg or png files unless they are in the screensaver.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

The only suggestion I can offer is that there are a bunch of applications that can convert a set of jpgs into a PDF file, which the NST can read.

New User
tmpuid
0 Kudos

the problem is i CAN'T open those .jpg files even if I put them into the \screensaver folder, however the same set of .jpg files do show up as screensaver after the unit went to sleep.
RHWright

The "why" is that it is not designed to. Now, the why behind that design decision is a different story, one we will probably never get from B&N.

Best bet, as suggested, convert to a pdf.

But even then, without pan/zoom capability, you will need to make sure they are readable on the small (relative to a normal manga/comic's page size) screen.

New User
tmpuid

...THEN i think it's FALSE advertising to say that it supports .JPG file format as a e-READER.
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

It's not FALSE since they don't say the graphics are for reading.  I do agree they should put a note on their specs-page that graphic formats are for screensaver to be clearer.

However, they also give you 14 days to return if you don't like it or if it doesn't do what you want..  Feel free.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I found it puzzling that they display these files in the library even though the NST isn't designed to display them outside the screen saver. I suppose it was easier to program it generically, but then these type of question will arise.
New User
gfor9988
0 Kudos

I share you frustation and agree that is misleading claim.  I thought I could email jpg photos and then view them in Nook email appliation. so far no luck and very dissappointed

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

gfor9988 wrote:

...I thought I could email jpg photos and then view them in Nook email appliation....

There is no email application on the Nook Simple Touch (which is where you posted).  Either you're in the wrong place or you're VERY confused.

RHWright
0 Kudos

tmpuid wrote:
...THEN i think it's FALSE advertising to say that it supports .JPG file format as a e-READER.

I think it's pretty clear on the specs page. (As of 11/5/12)

It supports ePub and PDF for reading and JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP for graphics.

Since it doesn't support apps or call out any kind of graphics viewer as a feature, logic would say that those graphics are there primarily for book covers, screensavers, etc.

New User
JAMnook
0 Kudos

Does anyone know how to delete these unrecognized .jpg files off of the Nook Simple Touch?  I guess they come in with my library books through ADE, but then they remain.  When I connect to my PC to attempt to delete them, they don't show up in the Nook drive in Windows explorer, but they remain on my Nook.  They keep accumulating and are quite annoying!

Thanks.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Make sure you have Windows set to show you hidden/system files.  I don't know if ADE sets them that way but that's the most common reason for "I can't see a file" in Windows.

And make sure you are looking at the right drive.  The nook internal memory will be one drive letter and the SD card (if you added one) will be another drive letter.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

I found it odd that there wasn't an picture viewer at least in the library view to open the file and view it.  That said my old Sony PRS 505 had a viewer/gallery app and it was an early eInk reader and it actually did a decent job rendering images.  16 shade eInk looks pretty good with JPEGs