New User
GoMaizeNBlue
0 Kudos

Wi-Fi problem ("unable to stop")

Been on the road, and tried to connect via a hotel network to shop for some new books. I'm not getting Wi-Fi connectivity at all; going to the Wi-Fi setup page, I'm seeing a message "Unable to stop Wi-Fi" in the box to check it on or off. There are no networks showing. I've tried resetting the unit repeatedly, and running out the battery as much as I could, to no avail. I can't reset to factory settings since it needs Wi-Fi connectivity. I even tried to manually download and install, per the site's instructions, the last update, which was already installed, to see if that fixed it, but nothing.

Any guidance is appreciated; I'm not finding anything regarding such a message anywhere online.

New User
GoMaizeNBlue
0 Kudos

Re: Wi-Fi problem ("unable to stop")

To add to it... it does look like it is trying to do something... the charge isn't held very long, about 12 hours will mostly drain the battery sitting in sleep mode.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

This is what I'd try first.

Power it off (hold the power button until it asks you if you really want to turn it off, then tap OK and let it shut down). Then start it up again.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Just in case you don't know... "power off" means to press and hold the button on the BACK (the shiny one at the top, not the "n" one on the front at the bottom) for about 20 or 30 seconds.

New User
GoMaizeNBlue
0 Kudos

Tried the power thing multiple times.

I've since found out how to do a factory reset, and did that. It does not appear to be a software problem as I first thought; during setup, it hangs (well, refreshes about every 10 seconds, but on the same screen) on "Enabling Wi-Fi". So, my thinking is that it is actually a hardware issue that can't get the Wi-Fi to function.

Frequent Contributor
Rainfall00
0 Kudos

I just took my NST into a B&N today for battery drain issues and the tech guy thinks my wifi switch was faulty. He was having issues connecting to wifi in the store and it froze up a couple of times on him. When he was finally able to turn wifi off, it connected. He said my battery issues must have been because the wifi was trying to turn on and off randomly, even though the setting was turned to off all of the time. They replaced my unit with another one. It was a very quick diagnosis and fix. Sounds very similar to what you're describing though.

I was also having to charge my Nook every several days (at least once a week) with moderate reading, so something very screwy had been going on.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 1,287 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: