New User
laebeth89
0 Kudos

unresponsive touch screen

I got my nook about a week ago (1.2 software already installed), and I noticed that quite frequently my touchscreen does not respond when I touch it. The problem mainly occurs when the screen has gone dark and I am trying to turn it back on. This problem includes the home "n" button. During these times, I am also unable to swipe my finger across the touch screen to change pages. I have tried turning the nook completely off and back on again, but the problem only seems to have gotten worse.

At first I thought it was just user error, but after owning an ipod touch and trying to troubleshoot on my own, I'm stumped.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: unresponsive touch screen

laebeth89 wrote:

I got my nook about a week ago (1.2 software already installed), and I noticed that quite frequently my touchscreen does not respond when I touch it. The problem mainly occurs when the screen has gone dark and I am trying to turn it back on. This problem includes the home "n" button. During these times, I am also unable to swipe my finger across the touch screen to change pages. I have tried turning the nook completely off and back on again, but the problem only seems to have gotten worse.

At first I thought it was just user error, but after owning an ipod touch and trying to troubleshoot on my own, I'm stumped.

Thanks!

I haven't seen the problem on my nook.  I have an iPhone and one thing to keep in mind is the swipe is more of a swoosh, you have to use a much lighter touch on the nook.

I never use the "n" to get the touch screen to light up, I just double tap it and it works everytime.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

no mines very responsive, perhaps just a bad unit, one thing you could try is to hard restart it, hold the power button down 20 seconds till it restarts OR I'd return it & get a new one...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

laebeth89 wrote:

Thanks!

The people who have the most problems with the nook screen are iPod/iPhone owners.

(I know, I'm in this category, and had to relearn).

A quick tap tap anywhere on the screen will light it up if it goes dark when you are reading.  You don't have to hit the "n".  

As for the swipe, that too is different the the iTouch. 

Learn the thumb swipe.  Is easier.  It will save you from cracked buttons.

Start with thumb resting off the touch screen, on or near the the right side pg-forward button.

Swing the thumb down in its natural arch such that it crosses the touch pad DIAGONALLY from upper right corner to bottom edge, exiting the touch screen at the word Noble.

To turn back, swing thumb from the word Noble toward the upper right corner.  Works with either hand on either side of the nook (Word Barnes toward Left side button = PgForward).

Play with it.  Keep other fingers away from the solid black bar around the touch pad.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I have noticed the same problem periodically, where the "n" is unresponsive the first time, or the swiping doesn't work.  100% of the time, I've realized that it's because my hands are particularly dry, which can affect the conductiveness necessary for the touch capacitive screen.  I expect it to happen less often as the weather gets less cold and more humid here in the northeast.  

New User
readerAO
0 Kudos

i sRe: unresponsive touch screen

My nook is 7 hours old and had the frozen screen.  the arrows on the sides are unresponsive.  the touch screen is stuck also.  the clock is frozen.    does anyone know how to fix it?  i've tried shutting it off and the unit won't turn off.    frustrated...

thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: i sRe: unresponsive touch screen

[ Edited ]

Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.  Then let up, and tap it again. It will reboot.

Then go charge your nook till the light goes out.  Use the time while its charging to read the FAQ: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: i sRe: unresponsive touch screen

Try searching the boards for frozen Nook.  There's a post somewhere from one of the moderators that gives steps to fix this.  Or call customer service, they can walk you through it.

New User
laebeth89
0 Kudos

Well I restarted my nook again and that seems to help quite a bit, but I still am unable to use the touchpad to change pages

New User
jetset777
0 Kudos

I ahve found that when my hands are cold it does not work as well....

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

jetset777 wrote:

I ahve found that when my hands are cold it does not work as well....

Well, you do have to take the mittens off...  :smileywink:

New User
ramioch
0 Kudos

I just got a nook touch yesterday (early father's Day gift) and it has happened twice. Once it selected a word instead of turning the page, and then became completely unresponsive to further attempts to touch or turn pages...the seond time I was just reading and suddenly could no longer turn pages using the touch feature (although the buttons still worked). Maybe I should have gotten a Kindle like the one I got my wife. She has not had these sorts of glitches with the Kindle user interface. Getting rid of the keyboard is all well and good...as long as the replacement is reliable!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ramioch wrote:

I just got a nook touch yesterday (early father's Day gift) and it has happened twice. Once it selected a word instead of turning the page, and then became completely unresponsive to further attempts to touch or turn pages...the seond time I was just reading and suddenly could no longer turn pages using the touch feature (although the buttons still worked). Maybe I should have gotten a Kindle like the one I got my wife. She has not had these sorts of glitches with the Kindle user interface. Getting rid of the keyboard is all well and good...as long as the replacement is reliable!

It's a brand new device, new technology, there's going to be glitches.  I've seen it on mine.  If it continues to happen, take it back and exchange it for a new one.

As far as no glitches on wife's Kindle, if you think Kindles are perfect and never have a problem, you might want to take a peak at the Kindle forums.  I've had my N1E for a year+ and haven't had any glitches with it, others have had lots of problems.  There's always going to be some products (any, not just Nook)  that, for whatever reason, don't work right from the beginning. That's why you have a warranty.  But if you're unhappy with it, return it and get a Kindle, each device has it's positives and negatives, you need to find which one works best for you.