Contributor
Sowy
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

windows 7 laptop won't recognize my brand new nook simple touch

I've tried plugging it into all 3 of my usb drives and the nook will charge but does not go into USB mode. It does not show up as a drive or device when I go to "computer" and does not pop up as a device I can even eject in the taskbar. The ONLY place it does show is when I go to "control panel", "hardware & sound",  "devices & printers". It is listed under unspecified, model = nook, category = unknown. If I right click on it the only options I have are: create shortcut, troubleshoot & properties. Clicking troubleshoot just tells me it couldnt identify the problem. I've tried to "add a device" and it searches but never finds that anything is plugged in.  I've rebooted both the nook & the laptop but still nothing. Other things connected to the same usb ports work fine.  I tried connecting to my husbands laptop and it went right into usb mode perfectly.  HELP.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: windows 7 laptop won't recognize my brand new nook simple touch

Sowy wrote:

I've tried plugging it into all 3 of my usb drives and the nook will charge but does not go into USB mode. It does not show up as a drive or device when I go to "computer" and does not pop up as a device I can even eject in the taskbar. The ONLY place it does show is when I go to "control panel", "hardware & sound",  "devices & printers". It is listed under unspecified, model = nook, category = unknown. If I right click on it the only options I have are: create shortcut, troubleshoot & properties. Clicking troubleshoot just tells me it couldnt identify the problem. I've tried to "add a device" and it searches but never finds that anything is plugged in.  I've rebooted both the nook & the laptop but still nothing. Other things connected to the same usb ports work fine.  I tried connecting to my husbands laptop and it went right into usb mode perfectly.  HELP.

If it connects to your husband's laptop but not yours, it's most likely some issue or setting your laptop. 

I would first make sure that I had installed on updates on my laptop.  I'm not sure what other information to offer, however, you should search the boards because I've seen other posts on this subject.

BTW, I had this happen with my camera earlier this week.  I'm not recommending this since I don't know the impact it would have on a Nook, but what worked with the camera was to go into device manager and uninstall the camera.  Then when I connected the camera, Windows found and it worked fine after that.  I don't know if that's a option with the Nook or what impact it would have.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

BTW, I had this happen with my camera earlier this week.  I'm not recommending this since I don't know the impact it would have on a Nook, but what worked with the camera was to go into device manager and uninstall the camera.  Then when I connected the camera, Windows found and it worked fine after that.  I don't know if that's a option with the Nook or what impact it would have.

That's pretty much S.O.P. in Windows for any hardware device that develops a driver issue.

You can uninstall just about any device in Windows and on the next boot if the device is still attached Windows will re-install the driver.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

That's pretty much S.O.P. in Windows for any hardware device that develops a driver issue.

You can uninstall just about any device in Windows and on the next boot if the device is still attached Windows will re-install the driver.

Yes, but since I've never tried it with the Nook, I didn't want to "recommend" it as a option, on the off chance it would make things worse.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Sowy
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting!

It doesn't appear to be an option with the Nook. The laptop has never recognized it so there is no program to uninstall. It just goes into "usb mode" and sits like a mass storage on my husbands laptop. I did poke around here (2 whole days online searching, actually on multiple sites) but never found any real solution. Most people say try a dif cable, or try a dif usb port or reboot both. A friend told me to go into BIOS and reset the factory defaults thinking that there may be something locking up my usb ports. (1st she had me check to make sure the ports weren't disabled in device manager.) I haven't done the default reset yet. I'm afraid I may wipe out something big. I did see a thing on you tube where if usb ports weren't working to uninstall the drivers for the ports, reboot & see if they work after the computer reinstalls them. I think I'm going to try that. After watching it, it seemed pretty basic. I'll post as I go but would appreciate any other ideas! THANK YOU!!!

Contributor
Sowy

FIXED! I saw somewhere to go to device manager and uninstall all my usb drivers, reboot and it would reinstall the drivers on its own. Well that in it's self didn't work but after searching more, someone said to plug in my nook, go to device manager and see if it was listed in with the usb's. I did and uninstalled it. I then unplugged it, rebooted my pc and then plugged the nook back in to my pc. It went through the whole "installing drivers" routine and poof, it installed what it needed to and I'm in business. I can now go into usb mode. I found the answer after I found something that looked like the error I originally got. OMAP 3630 driver failed to install.

New User
kimmiebeeaz
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting this!  I was running into the same problem and you just saved me a ton of time!