Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
kritter217
0 Kudos

10 days less in my two week return period - help?

I just received a Nook for my birthday.  I had been tossed between Kindle and Nook for months and finally decided on the Nook for the folloiwng reasons:

- abilty to borrow library books

- abilty to share books (although is it true that you can only loan a book ONE time?!)

- cover flow

- it just looks nicer.  There is something industrial looking about the Kindle.

I new there were issues but was willing to make the trade off for the above features.  SInce purchasing my Nook I have been exploring all the boards so as to get hte most of my new "toy".  I am generally not terribly swayed by all the nay sayers. My Nook, so far, has been behaving. I had a couple of screen freeze issues but I was able to fix it farily easiliy.  However, just the sheer amount of negative Nook reviews from actual Nook users is giving me pause and making me second guess myself.  I have 10 days left to return my Nook.  Should I keep it???  I guess the biggest thing that is bothering me is the increase in ebooks from Barnes and Noble.  I just did a quick comparison of some random titles and, on average, BN is much more expensive. Also concerned about the customer service issue.

I would like to hear some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback from happy Nook users as well as unhappy Nook users.  What do you all thing? I am not unhappy with my Nook at the moment, but neither am I convinced that keeping it is the best decision.  Help me out here, please!

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Fellowship of the Ring
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Re: 10 days less in my two week return period - help?

Keep in mind that this is a support forum.  The majority come here looking for a solution to problems and to voice complaints, so the ratio of negative to positive comments is bound to be large.

On the positive side, I have had my nook since Jan 19 and have experienced no problems other than a shorter than promised battery life and a delay (a whole 15 minutes) in downloading one book purchase.  Overall I am a very satisfied customer.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Ultimately, you are the only one to make that decision.  

I just got a Nook on 14 February.  I spend a lot of my time in the Bahamas, so when I'm here I can only use the Nook as a reader.  

Why didn't I buy a Kindle?  Even though it advertises a more liberal international policy, I have a long relationship with Fictionwise for ebooks and B&N for "real" books, and did not want to go with yet another provider.  Also, I don't care for the look of the unit with the keyboard.

I'm a hard book fanatic, but with all my traveling, I'd been doing a lot of reading on my iPod Touch and have been quite happy.  There was no way I was going to order something, hope I could be at the location when it came, hope it wouldn't have any problems requiring a return, and so on.  But walking into a B&N (one I do not usually shop in) and finding in-store Nook availability made me add the Nook to my reading arsenal.  I check prices between B&N and eReader (Fictionwise) and buy accordingly, not necessarily the latest books.  I personally have no issues with having to sideload my books to the Nook and don't particularly care that the list is not in cover flow.  My goal is to have something to read.

Customer service - there was a very nice lady at the store that helped me unpack & register the Nook in the store.  I walked out with a registered and working Nook.  When it comes to solving problems, I tend to check forums first and would probably only resort to calling customer service if I have an issue that I cannot find an answer to.  

So, why did you get a reader?  Would you care if you didn't have one?  If you're not having any problems and the Nook is performing as you anticipated, that may be your answer.  You also have to remember that having a problem or complaint is what drives most people to an online forum.  

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Agreed.  I've had my nook since x-mas week, and I love it.  95% of the time.  But every thread that I've started on these boards has been to detail (and hopefully get help on) specific problems that I've had.  Other than the first problem (the 1.1.1 update actually got corrupted and bricked part of my nook, requiring an RMA to get a new one, which I got in a few days), they've all been minor and I've done workarounds until they were fixed.  But if you were to look at the threads I started, you'd think I was perhaps a dissatisfied customer, which couldn't be further from the truth.  I'm not running around starting threads about how much I love my nook, because that's just a waste of everyone's time, including my own, which is better spent actually reading my nook.  

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

I agree with other that the decision is yours.  But to look at it from your list of deciding factors...
Do some research on the lendable books.  Not all were given that ability by the publishers.  If the books/authors you would buy are available then that is a positive factor for keeping it.  If not, then it is (as someone else said) a neutral factor and should have not bearing on your decision.
Same goes with borrowing from the library.  Check out their selection.  While most libraries are expanding all of the time, it should be an indicator of what they do currently have as well as possible wait times for more popular books.
Coverflow works only with those that provide a cover.  There are ways to get covers on for outside sources but it would require using additional software.  If this isn't a big deal for you, just as many use Calibre, then you are covered there.
If pricing is a deciding factor, you should know that prices fluctuate all the time at all sites.  It is true that overall, Amazon is known for having the lowest prices. B&N did match them for a while but it seems that time period is over for now.  Really, it is up to you to determine If pricing is more important than the product itself. 

Inspired Contributor
BlueHairBob
0 Kudos

I have had nook for 6 days - no way will I return it.  It works and I enjoy reading with it.  No one on the boards is going to be able to give me sufficient arguments to get me to return it - I like the thing.  

You have had nook for 10 days - and you are not sure you want to keep it yet.  Apparently there is no compelling experience for you.  You are not unhappy with it, but neither are you convinced to keep it - I would say spend more time reading with it and the decision should become clear.

Frequent Contributor
kritter217
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone.  I think I just need to stay off the forums unless I have an issue.  All the negativity was making me second guess my decision even though I have had no tangible negative issues with my Nook personally.  I am going to go enjoy my new device, play with it and get to know it. 

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Fellowship of the Ring
Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

Kritter, from reading the forums, you have a better idea of what could happen, not necessarily what will happen. You are armed with the information that if you ever do have a problem, chances are someone here has already been through it and you can find the steps you'd need to take to have it taken care of.

Personally, I've only had some minor issues that were fixed with the update (bookmarks and such). I still visit the forums to find links to ebook sites and accessories, and other helpful info.

Sue

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
New User
ahc1
0 Kudos

I say return it now and get a Kindle!  My husband urged me to get one, but I thought the design was nicer on the Nook--and the books were SUPPOSEDLY the same price.  Now I can't find anything to download for the price they promised ($9.99 for most new releases).  I feel like a fool for buying it.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

The hard part is weeding out the malcontents, whiners and pathological complainers to get to the real issues. The real test is your nook, in your hands and how well you like it.

I've had mine since early January and wouldn't trade it for the world. Add me to the list of nook lovers.

I was at the vet today and was reading my nook in the waiting room. A man sat down next to me and pulled out his kindle. We sat there comparing our devices. The end result was that his kindle fit his needs and my nook fit mine. Other than that, there wasn't much of a difference between the two devices. Same screen in fact.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

You are aware that you can purchase books from other vendors. This solves the problem with B&N's pricing. the only book I have purchased so far I bought from Sony's Reader Store. The price was what B&N was selling it for before they raised their prices. It requires a little extra work but so what. It teaches you how to really use the nook and its fun.

Correspondent
statomattic
0 Kudos

Keep it, keep it, keep it!

The pricing issue right now with ebooks is incredibly fluid. It's a new market, a new frontier, and nobody is certain how it will eventually shake out - not Amazon, not B&N, not Apple, not the publishers. The price fluctuations right now are absolutely crazy; they're changing on almost a daily basis. As the coming weeks and months play out, the market will establish itself and the price point for ebooks will become much more consistent and stable. The publishers and sellers will eventually charge what the market will bear, namely what we the customers decide is a fair price by voting with our wallets. It's tough for me to envision a scenario where Nook prices settle in at a permanent rate significantly higher than Kindle prices - B&N simply has too much invested in this device's success to sabotage it in such a way.

As for the devices themselves, I narrowly opted for the Nook over the Kindle two months ago and am totally convinced it was the right choice for me (this also coming from someone who previously bought most of his books from Amazon), The key positives have been detailed by other posters so I won't rehash them... but I agree they are positives. I don't believe you can go wrong with either product.

I say keep the Nook, enjoy the device as it will only improve with further updates in the coming months, and thank the person who gave it to you for a great gift!

Frequent Contributor
LeilaniLK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have owned both a Kindle 2 and a nook.  I love my nook.  For my purposes there is nothing that the kindle offers that the nook doesn't.  I have had absolutely no problem with the nook.  I have had it since the beginning of February and it has not malfunctioned once.  The only time that I have had to call customer service (to ask a question about my order) my call was answered quickly, the agent was extremely helpful and I was off the phone within 15 minutes.  Overall, I am happier with the more streamlined look of the nook, the ability to add extra storage, the touch controls, and wifi access (although 3g works great for me).  It is also nice to be able to add my own screensavers (without using a hack) and replace the battery.  In fact I was so happy with my nook that I gave my Kindle away.  This is just to give my opinion as someone that has experience with both readers.

Oh, and let me add, that as an early adopter of the Kindle 2, I also know that it also experienced many problems when it first came out, and those were fixed overtime with updates just as I'm sure the nook's will be.

Frequent Contributor
la_writer
0 Kudos

As others have stated, only you can determine if the nook is the right reader for you.  I think you should ask yourself a few questions:

• How important is the sudden rise in prices?  With a Kindle, you are locked into Amazon's prices, while with the nook you have the ability to shop around more.
  • How important is the Lend Me feature?  Yes, you can lend a book once.  How much lending do you expect to do?  Unless you know a bunch of people with nooks (or e-reader software on their computers) I'm not sure if lending is a useful feature.
  • Have you had any problems with the nook?  Are you willing to hunt around for solutions or deal with Customer Service?
  • Do you travel a lot?
  • Do you need ten days of battery life or can you charge it frequently?
  • Do you mind paying a restocking fee?  (I don't remember if they charge a restocking fee if you return itwithin the 14 day period.  Someone else here will know.)

For what it's worth, I had one problem with my nook.  One of my books got stuck on "Formatting," but with the 1.2 update, everything was fixed, including the one book.  I haven't had a problem since the update.  I'm not happy about the sudden price change, but I think it will stabilize.  Until then, I'll shop around.  If I had doubts about the nook, I would send it back and get something I was crazy about.  You could order a Kindle and compare the devices.  Amazon has a good return policy, so if you're not satisfied, just return it. 

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

la_writer wrote:

• How important is the sudden rise in prices?  With a Kindle, you are locked into Amazon's prices, while with the nook you have the ability to shop around more.

This is not true.  With the Kindle, there are many places you can get books including Gutenberg, Fictionwise, and WPL.  In addition, it is well known that Amazon has a much broader selection of ebooks, magazines, and newspapers.

Contributor
kmoeller
0 Kudos

I got my nook a couple of weeks ago.  Absolutely love it, have already read three books.  It came with the 1.2 update, I charged it then it registered in a few seconds, no problems.  It has worked so far nearly flawlessly.  Only problem I encounted is occasionally I see half of a letter cut off at the edge of the screen, no big deal though, It is still easy to tell what the letter is.

Just tried it at the store, More in Store worked just fine.  Tried it outside away from wifi, 3G worked as well.  I haven't tried purchasing with 3G, but I am confident in the rare event I needed, it would work just fine.

The software seems a bit slow at times but I am sure with time that will get better, the developers are no doubt concentrating on features, bug fixes and stability, efficiency is generally last on the list, at least thats the way I approach things, get everthing working then go back a run the profiling tools and find the slow code.

Love my nook, will never return it.

Kirk.

Correspondent
Princess_V
0 Kudos

Kritter217,

As most have said, the final decision is up to you!

I've had my nook since 12/23/09 and have enjoyed reading on it!  I've not had any issues that could not be solve by either reading the manual or searching the board here.  (I disregarded the negativity!).  Yes, the battery life is questionable, but I'm in the habit of charging most of my portable electronics every night. 

As far as ebook pricing is concern:  ***PUBLISHERS WANT MORE MONEY FOR eBOOKS****.  When B&N announced the nook, some of their books were a little higher.  But I saw a competitive trend between B&N & Amazon, at least for the types of books I read.  Then the Amazon/Publisher's debate started.  And there has been increase in prices at B&N AND Amazon!

I don't blame B&N's for this, nor do I remember B&N "promising" $9.99 price.  I have just made up my mind as to how much I'll pay.... and I understand that B&N is not the only source for ebooks!

Take a look at what you want the nook to do for you!  And look at all the ebook sources for the titles you enjoy reading! 

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

kritter217 wrote:

I would like to hear some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback from happy Nook users as well as unhappy Nook users.  What do you all thing? I am not unhappy with my Nook at the moment, but neither am I convinced that keeping it is the best decision.  Help me out here, please!

Constructive feedback is in the eye of the beholder.  You will find some people in the forums who have had problems with their nooks (this is a support forum, after all), but you not hear from the vast majority who use the nook without problems and don't visit the forums.  There are also the shills for Amazon whose advice has be be viewed through that lens (e.g., Alley415).

The answer really lies within.  Is your nook working?  (The most recent software upgrade has solved most of the problems for most of those who experienced issues.)  Can you get the books you want to read from B&N or the many other sources that nook supports?

Everything else seems to be background noise.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Large_Marge wrote:

kritter217 wrote:

Constructive feedback is in the eye of the beholder.  You will find some people in the forums who have had problems with their nooks (this is a support forum, after all), but you not hear from the vast majority who use the nook without problems and don't visit the forums.  There are also the shills for Amazon whose advice has be be viewed through that lens (e.g., Alley415).

The answer really lies within.  Is your nook working?  (The most recent software upgrade has solved most of the problems for most of those who experienced issues.)  Can you get the books you want to read from B&N or the many other sources that nook supports?

Everything else seems to be background noise.

Actually, if you did your research, you would know I had purchased a nook and returned it due to extremely bad customer service.  I have also stated numorous times that if and when the nook works as advertised and all stated features are up and running I would repurchase one. 

On a side note, it everything else is backgound noise as you stated, when why even buy the nook over the Kindle or Sony?  Depending on the person and their needs they can get the books they want from all or other copatable sources.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

Actually, if you did your research, you would know I had purchased a nook and returned it due to extremely bad customer service.  I have also stated numorous times that if and when the nook works as advertised and all stated features are up and running I would repurchase one. 

On a side note, it everything else is backgound noise as you stated, when why even buy the nook over the Kindle or Sony?  Depending on the person and their needs they can get the books they want from all or other copatable sources.

Right. Background noise like that.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain