Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
pitbull42
0 Kudos

100 Free Classics w/ new Nook-Members Only

I am a B&N member and a just got a member exclusive e-mail stating if I by any Nook, I would get a SD card filled with 100 free books, listed below.  I am a little ticked.  I just bought a N2E last week.  While I have many of these titles for free, some I do not-Wizard of Oz for one.  I am going to check with customer service to see if I can get a free SD, though B&N will likely offer them free anyway during the summer.

Around the World in Eighty Days (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)
Oliver Twist (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)
Heidi (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)
Swiss Family Robinson, The (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)
A Christmas Carol (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)
Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, The (Sterling Edition)
History of the Conquest of Mexico (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Human Nature and Conduct (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Discourse on the Origin of Inequality (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Lady Audley's Secret (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, The (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Ethics and On the Improvement of the Understanding (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Praise of Folly (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
Fanny Hill
Dracula
Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The
Art of War, The
Anna Karenina
Arabian Nights, The
Babbitt
Beautiful and Damned, The
Beowulf
Call of the Wild
Candide
Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson
Common Sense and Other Writings
Complete Sherlock Holmes, The
Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II
Cyrano de Bergerac
Don Quixote
Emma
Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Fairy Tales
Federalist, The
Frankenstein
Good Soldier, The
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Heart of Darkness, The
House of Mirth, The
Idiot, The
Importance of Being Earnest, The
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Inferno, The
Interpretation of Dreams, The
Ivanhoe
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Jungle Books, The
Lady Chatterley's Lover
Last of Mohicans, The
Leaves of Grass
Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Writings
Les Miserables
Little Women
Madame Bovary
Main Street
Metamorphasis, The
Middlemarch
Moll Flanders
Odyssey
Of Human Bondage
Peter Pan
Picture of Dorian Gray, The
Portrait of a Lady, The
Pride and Prejudice
Prince and the Pauper
Pygmalion
Red Badge of Courage, The
Republic
Robinson Crusoe
A Room with a View
Secret Garden, The
Selected Stories of O. Henry
Sense and Sensibility
Sister Carrie
Sons and Lovers
Souls of Black Folk, The
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The
Swann's Way
A Tale of Two Cities
Tarzan of the Apes
Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Three Musketeers, The
Time Machine, The
Treasure Island
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Vanity Fair
Way We Live Now, The
Wind in the Willows
Wings of Dove, The
Woman in White, The
Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The
Wuthering Heights
Moby-Dick
Portrait of Artist As A Young Man, The
Age of Innocence, The
Great Expectations
Jane Eyre

Reader 2
LiziQOE
0 Kudos

Re: 100 Free Classics w/ new Nook-Members Only

Those are great classics!  Hook me up! :smileytongue:

Nobody is perfect - not even your Nook.
Frequent Contributor
techiegirl
0 Kudos

I got the same email and called c/s. I was told to return the N2E and reorder online. Sounds like a huge pain. I'm bummed out they can't just email me the sd card.
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Meh. Just go to guttenberg.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

My wife's got a membership but doesn't seem to get any promotional emails from B&N.  Is this a special web link for purchasing the nooks?  Is it only available by purchasing through the web?  Does it list an expiration date?  Is it something where it's only eligible for memberships purchase after the beginning of June?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

Is guttenberg handing out SD cards now? :smileytongue:

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:

Is guttenberg handing out SD cards now? :smileytongue:

Meh.LOL I bet its a small sd card that can be purchased for a few bucks.Guttenberg has all those books for free. I really dont see the allure. Meh. :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

Meh.LOL I bet its a small sd card that can be purchased for a few bucks.Guttenberg has all those books for free. I really dont see the allure. Meh. :smileytongue:

It may have something to do with B&N selling memberships and the promise of discounts and special deals to members only. Unfortunately missing out on a special is just like missing out on a sale at any other retailer.

Gutenberg does have all those books available. Some have better formating than the B&N Classic Series some are worse.

My guess is B&N came up with this promotion because of posts comparing the Nook Touch and Kobo touch. Kobo includes 100 free classics or at least the last model did.

There is also all the "Where is my memory?" posts.

If the above two are correct, we can't whine about B&N not reviewing these forums. :smileyvery-happy: 

Frequent Contributor
LAX_observer
0 Kudos

This is great, I'd already found half of the 100 titles on inkmesh and guttenberg but over the years you forget a few of the classics, like beowulf and the picture of dorian gray, thanks for this thread now ive gotten somethings to search again at PG:smileywink:

New User
suprbeast
0 Kudos

errr. Copy Kobo much?  

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

suprbeast wrote:

errr. Copy Kobo much?  

Got me. How do you copy a Kobo?

Frequent Contributor
pitbull42
0 Kudos

The offer is only good until 6/19,  Yes there is a special link to buy.  I also called customer service.  The SD cards are already pre-packaged with the Nook, so they do not have them seperate to send, Very limited amount.  If I wanted it, I could return my new nook and buy again.  Not worth the trouble.  I did express disappointment that B&N should reward members who just bought new Nooks that were also prior N1E owners,-

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee

I saw that and it was irritating, I just purchased 2 new Nooks, one for me and one for my daughter. I  guess that's what I get for jumping in and purchasing too soon. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

I saw that and it was irritating, I just purchased 2 new Nooks, one for me and one for my daughter. I  guess that's what I get for jumping in and purchasing too soon. 

Yeah, I agree. I jumped the gun and would live to have gotten these. I have a lot of the BN versions, but not all of them. And for others-these books have been professionally formatted, they often have additional content that gutenberg versions don't have, and as packaged save a lot of time for anyone wishing to have a decent collection of classics. This is a good deal. For that alone, I would like to get the card, and personally would buy it if offered. Others don't care about it, but it's nice it's free for others.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
robin-d
0 Kudos

this is probably overstock from the shopping network promotion...they got a sd card with books when they got it through the network not the store and if these are prepackaged in the devices then yeah it has to be leftovers from the shopping channel. it was nookcolors i believe right before the update came out..most of those titles if not all are free anyway. and its just like missing a sale....in fact last year BN did an awesome build your library promotion for two months each week offered 10 classics for free. it was an awesome promo.

Contributor
mrivera27
0 Kudos

Well that stinks, I just bought my fiance a Nook two weeks ago. The SD card would have been nice since most of the books I read are classics, and sometimes, the Project Gutenberg books are not formatted very well. 

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

2GB micro SD cards are about $4 on ebay.  NOT worth worrying over (or spending money on gas or shipping to return your Nook).  All the books listed are easily downloaded and, personally, I would rather load the 20 I want myself instead of having to delete or slog through the 80 I don't want.

Contributor
Michelle1221
0 Kudos

wonder if I join today I will get the email.....I was thinking of getting  a nook for my stepmom and with the $10 discount and the sd card with the books it might be worthwhile.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Michelle1221 wrote:

wonder if I join today I will get the email.....I was thinking of getting  a nook for my stepmom and with the $10 discount and the sd card with the books it might be worthwhile.

Offhand I would say no. You are going to pay $25 to get a $10 discount and eBooks that can be had elsewhere for free.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
This deal is good for BN bookclub members only. To everyone complaining you are all willing to get a $25 membership just to get free public domain books???

Again these are all free, some are free through BN and others (yes they may not be formatted as well) are free through guttenberg.