Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

T-A
Contributor
T-A
0 Kudos

2nd Nook Cover? Yay or nay?

I had been obsessed with the orange and pink Kate Spade cover since last spring/summer, but just couldn't justify the price. So I went with a less expensive, but still girly and cute, Lilly Pulitzer cover instead. When the Kate/Jack Spade covers recently went on a 75% mark down, however, and the cover I'd been drooling over became $20 cheaper than what I'd paid for my Lilly one, I couldn't resist.

I just received my Kate Spade in the mail, and it is beautiful. However, I am beginning to get the pangs of buyer's remorse... Does anyone out there have more than one Nook cover? Do you ever change them out, or do you just use your favorite all the time? Is there any real purpose to owning more than one cover?

Basically I am trying to justify this purchase. My Lilly is still in good shape, is still functioning fine, and is still pretty. It's just not AS pretty as the Kate Spade (in my opinion - actually, it's not even that it's prettier, per se; it's more that it is a better reflection of my personality). I really wish I could keep the K.S. and return the Lilly, but unfortunately for me, that's not possible.

Anyone else out there have this fickle-cover problem? Should I keep my new cover, or return it and be happy with what I've got?

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Re: 2nd Nook Cover? Yay or nay?

If you are upset with the cover you are currently using and if there's another cover that you are comfortable with, then get the cover that you will be happy with. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

T-A wrote:

I just received my Kate Spade in the mail, and it is beautiful. However, I am beginning to get the pangs of buyer's remorse... Does anyone out there have more than one Nook cover? Do you ever change them out, or do you just use your favorite all the time? Is there any real purpose to owning more than one cover?

Keep it! I have a nook classic and a nook color, with 3 covers for each one. It's fun to change them out once in awhile. And you can't beat the prices with that 75% off sale. So I'd say you did a good thing.

Happy reading.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Contributor
moemac

I have the Kate Spade cover in black and red and I absolutely love it as well as the Jonathan Adler punctuation cover. I tend to get bored with a cover after awhile, so I like to rotate them.

"Don't parse the blurb"
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I have 3 covers, I really wanted the Kate Spade cover, but I like having one with a closure on it, so I'm probably not going to pick it up now, even with the 75% off.

Contributor
rorifuzz

I have 4 covers for my Nook Classic.  When I first bought the Nook I ordered the M-Edge Latitude jacket in orange and booklight.  During a sale at BN, I bought the white envelope case (do not remember the name) and an orange rear cover.  Just recently, I went into the BN store to look at and justify to myself why I should buy the NookColor, when I noticed the 75% off sale.  I ended up getting the Kate Spade Pink/Orange and the Librarian covers.  So much for the Nook Color right now!  I love customizing my electronics (Nook and iPhone) based on whatever mood I'm in, what I'm wearing that day, or what color my nail polish is!  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
kimmie3

I have 2 covers and enjoy being able to change them to fit my mood and need.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh, for sure keep it.  I splurged at the original price and I got my daughter one for Christmas when it was only half off and she had a cover.  The reason I love it besides that it is beautiful--great for traveling.  I keep in a side compartment of my purse and put my money and boarding pass in the pockets and my license and credit card in the slots if needed for bags.  So when checking in and buying food whatever you don't have to get out wallet.  Everything is handy.  Keep it!

ABthree

@T-A

If it makes you happy, that justifies the purchase well enough.  There are enough things out there that you can't control that will drain a little happiness from your life; if this one little thing adds to it, then you're entitled!  :smileyhappy:

If you don't like having a second cover around, you could give it to a friend or family member who's getting a Nook.  When I got my Nook I ordered the Madison Trifold in Crimson, but it was on backorder.  So to protect my Nook while I was waiting, I went to the B&N store and got the Alice.  When my brother got his Nook, I sent him the Alice until he got the cover of his choice,  Now, he and I just gave our sister a Nook -- and Alice is on its way to her!

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

T-A wrote:

Is there any real purpose to owning more than one cover?

Anyone else out there have this fickle-cover problem? Should I keep my new cover, or return it and be happy with what I've got?

The real purpose is... it makes you happy, and that's all that matters! Keep it! The LP cover could become your back up cover, or you could try selling it on eBay.

I love the cover I have for my Nook (M-Edge Executive Jacket, purple)  yet if I found one I liked even better, I wouldn't hesitate. The cover I have for my NookColor is the Paterson Quote, and I feel the same way there... if I find one I love more, I'll get it.

A gadget that has accessories, to boot?! It's a dream come true! :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
JackalopeKing

I don't think there's anything wrong with having more than one cover. Heck, I plan on buying my second cover later in the week myself. [that 75% sale is just too awesome]

Correspondent
KnitKicky
0 Kudos

@T-A, you wrote:

Basically I am trying to justify this purchase.

ABThree said it well.  I'm old enough to have learned that I don't need to justify any purchase I can afford without forgoing a necessity or incurring debt.  I am entitled to some fun stuff once in a while and so are YOU!  

Change them out once in a while as the mood strikes you; or give away your Lily Pulitzer if you want to--and praise whatever force you believe in that you are in the position to do so.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

Yay!  Of course keep it ...and only 2 covers???  I too couldn't resist the sale and just received the Kate Spade pink and orange Nook cover.  (How great will that be for summer with my new Dooney & Bourke orange purse???)  I have 7 covers:  3 MEdge, 1 Oberon, 2 B&N Jonathan Adler (so enjoy the quote one) and my new Kate Spade... and while once in a while I have little pangs of guilt I do like to change them around and I enjoy each one.  How many shoes do I have...and purses???  I love my Nook (best purchase I ever made) and read on it daily and seeing it when I pick it up, I enjoy the cover each time.  No hesitation... keep and enjoy both covers and change them off...and my heavens with the price of that Kate Spade...no gult whatsoever!  Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor
SuzW
0 Kudos

I bought the Bronte cover in black when I first bought my nook, and ordered the red Kate Spade during the sale. I love it! I also have two sleeves I've made for the nook that fit over the cover (so nothing sneaks in when I put it in my bag) - one's a coffee print lined with brown faux suede with a ribbon tie and the other a pink and brown quited pouch with a vinatge button. I also crocheted a spring sweater pouch out of cotton yarn... I like to have options!

And, on top of all the crafting, I'm reading more than I had in a long time, pre-nook.

Frequent Contributor
nook_rook
0 Kudos

Definately keep it.

I have 3 covers. Although my favorite gets the most use, the Jonathon Adler Punctuation, it also has pockets, and therefore is slightly bulkier. I have a 'water resistant' cover for the beach or any possible wet reading locations, and I also bought a Kate Spade on sale (50% off, not 75%).  I use the Kate Spade when I want something a little less bulky, or want a bright splash of color, and to say "Look at my Nook!"

Contributor
escape-reader
0 Kudos

I have more than one cover. I don't see a problem with it at all. IMHO your purchase was justified, especially since it was discounted! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
JEJ29
0 Kudos

I have 5 covers, including 3 kate spades.  I change them all the time.

Darkkin

I have 6 covers and change them as often as I change my mind...:smileytongue:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

T-A
Contributor
T-A
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input everyone! It's good to know there are others out there with more than one nook cover.

I think agree with those that think of a nook cover more as an accessory than a utilitarian item, and, by that logic, of course it's ok to have more than one!

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Not only do I more than one cover, but I just ordered a decalgirl skin as well; 0)
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!