Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
hollygNJ
0 Kudos

3G disconinuation?

Since I have a K and a Nook ( I bought the Nook, and inherited the K) I read both boards. There was just a posting that BN has dc'd the 3gs. Tell me it ain't so!

I love the 3G's, and will never give up my Nook for the ST or the NC because they don't have it. I use the K for downloading feee things on amazon that BN doesn't have, but I vastly prefer my Nook.

Holly in south jersey

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: 3G disconinuation?

If you already have a Nook using 3G it will still work.  It is still questionable as to whether or not new devices will have 3G on them.  Only time will tell but it looks like wi-fi only seems to be winning.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
Devlish
0 Kudos

No way they really need to keep the 3G. I am already praying for it since my 1st gen 3g died and all I could get was a 2nd gen.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Devlish wrote:

No way they really need to keep the 3G. I am already praying for it since my 1st gen 3g died and all I could get was a 2nd gen.

It's doubtful they will add 3G to the existing N2E, it would most likely have to be a hardware upgrade.  With both Verizon and AT&T eliminating unlimited data plans for new customers, I can't see free 3G being available on new devices, it's simply going to be cost prohibitive.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I think it's a nonissue cause nooks have WiFi anyways 3G network will one day eventually cease working but nook won't die like many cell phones that don't have 4G network. The 2E nook and nook color are WiFi only anyways.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

As long as AT&T continues to provide edge cellular service for free to original Nook owners you will still be able to download books over edge. You do not not need 3g service to download books but you do need edge.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What I think many phone companies are counting on is that users that need wifi for devices will opt for plans that allow their phones to be mobile hotspots or that they will buy standalone mifi type devices. Verizon has come out with a new 4g one. Why give away what you can charge for? It also makes sense that in order to maintain or improve the infrastructure for such things with the increase in demand, they would have to pay for it. There also are many free wifi spots out there, but most likely the establishment helps defray the costs. Well, actually consumers do by buying things sold there. Using the cell network for devices is becoming impractical. For the nook, it is only used for buying and downloading books, but not even for all books. Larger ones need wifi. No one would pay for a data plan that limited, nor would they pay more to access the limited web browser on the N1E. The N2E doesn't have a web browser as such and few would want to pay much more to use the NC with a dataplan. Consider the numerous complaints about the cost of ebooks. Just imagine a $35 a month charge for limited 3g or $60 or $70 for unlimited.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader 2
Amanda_L
0 Kudos

I just noticed when I was trying to download a book over 3G that it now says that you must connect to Wifi to actually download the book to your nook.  That wasn't the case before, if I'm not mistaken.  I know that I've been in many an airport and downloaded books without connecting to the Wifi because they charge for it.

Can anyone tell me if you've had the same message?  We can browse over 3G now but we can't download books onto our nook without Wifi?  The entire reason for me not upgrading to a Wifi only device was because my old nook had 3G and I could download and read anywhere.

RHWright
0 Kudos

@Amanda_L:

What was the particular title? There are some titles with file sizes large enough that B&N only allows them to be downloaded via Wi-Fi.

If you're buying from the device, the details for the book clearly states this in the shop. If you are on a connection with bn.com it just says "Note: This product may take a few minutes to download."

Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Amanda_L wrote:

I just noticed when I was trying to download a book over 3G that it now says that you must connect to Wifi to actually download the book to your nook.  That wasn't the case before, if I'm not mistaken.  I know that I've been in many an airport and downloaded books without connecting to the Wifi because they charge for it.

Can anyone tell me if you've had the same message?  We can browse over 3G now but we can't download books onto our nook without Wifi?  The entire reason for me not upgrading to a Wifi only device was because my old nook had 3G and I could download and read anywhere.

There has always been a limit (I believe 10MB) for books that you are allowed to download using 3G. Perhaps this was the case with the book your tried to download?

This often happens with books (especially classics) that have a lot of illustrations or photos.

Reader 2
Amanda_L
0 Kudos

It was Jane Lynch's Happy Accidents.  I've not seen the book itself to know how long it is, and I didn't pay attention to the file size on the bn.com site.  I just have never encountered this before.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Amanda_L wrote:

It was Jane Lynch's Happy Accidents.  I've not seen the book itself to know how long it is, and I didn't pay attention to the file size on the bn.com site.  I just have never encountered this before.

That NOOK Book is 77 megabytes. Why, I don't know — that's about 100 times as large as a typical e-book.

The 10 MB limitation began with the 1.4 firmware update.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

77MB?

That is one LARGE book.  Maybe a lot of illustrations or something.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Amanda_L wrote:

The details on the book page mention "Note: This product may take a few minutes to download.".

Which means that this is a large file. So this was probably the reason you had to use Wifi to download the book.

Reader 2
Amanda_L
0 Kudos

Okay, I didn't know there was a limitation on what you could download over 3G. Now I know.  Thanks for you all your help!