Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
truelies
0 Kudos

3G for web brower?

Will Nook has a plan to make the web brower working with 3G? Otherwise the 3G is not useful. This is the biggest function I hope for Nook.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: 3G for web brower?

truelies wrote:

Will Nook has a plan to make the web brower working with 3G? Otherwise the 3G is not useful. This is the biggest function I hope for Nook.

This is unlikely unless B&N wants to get into the business of selling data plans.  

New User
truelies
0 Kudos

I found that if B&N can put 3G for web browser like Amazon, the nook will be the best in market.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: 3G for web browser?

[ Edited ]

Amazon provides 3G for the kindle web browser, but since it is an e-ink device the browser's usefulness is limited.

My guess is that when B&N was in negotiation with AT&T for NOOK 3G access, AT&T quoted them an outrageous price to allow general web access (my opinion, I have no facts). AT&T's 3G network is getting overloaded by all the new devices coming out and they are actively encouraging users to use WiFi. This is why they offer free WiFi at AT&T hotspots - to take the load of the 3G network (and why NOOKcolor doesn't get free AT&T WiFi - no benefit to AT&T).

As it now stands, the only device in existence that allows general internet access over 3G wireless, and does not require the user to purchase a dataplan from the carrier is the Kindle, and I wouldn't be surprised if that went away in future releases.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

The 3G as is is very useful but only for purchasing or looking for nookbooks, but that is all I care to use it for.  I can honestly say I have used the browser only a handful of times.  The e-ink makes it slow and all.  It is not worth it to pay more for a browser on an e-ink device.  Having the ability to use 3G for a browser is not going to place the nook as the A number one bestest ereader ever.  There are many more worthwhile things to have on an e-ink ereader.  I don't consider the browser that important at all.  So Amazon can have it, I would not be encouraged to buy a kindle because of it.  Kindle owners make their choices and nook owners make theirs and it's a happy world.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
truelies
0 Kudos

I think AT&T should give same price to nook or kindle for internet access. I don't think 3G is overloaded in current economy situation, a lot of people want to pay for that expensive plan.

3G for web browser in e-ink is important! When you are in a park, how can you get wifi?

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

If you simply must have constant connectivity, you can purchase a MiFi device :smileyhappy:  Web browsing with an eInk device is a pretty miserable experience though.  All of the major carriers have these devices available.