New User
truelies
0 Kudos

3G for web brower?

Will Nook has a plan to make the web brower working with 3G? Otherwise the 3G is not useful. This is the biggest function I hope for Nook.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: 3G for web brower?

truelies wrote:

Will Nook has a plan to make the web brower working with 3G? Otherwise the 3G is not useful. This is the biggest function I hope for Nook.

This is unlikely unless B&N wants to get into the business of selling data plans.  

New User
truelies
0 Kudos

I found that if B&N can put 3G for web browser like Amazon, the nook will be the best in market.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: 3G for web browser?

[ Edited ]

Amazon provides 3G for the kindle web browser, but since it is an e-ink device the browser's usefulness is limited.

My guess is that when B&N was in negotiation with AT&T for NOOK 3G access, AT&T quoted them an outrageous price to allow general web access (my opinion, I have no facts). AT&T's 3G network is getting overloaded by all the new devices coming out and they are actively encouraging users to use WiFi. This is why they offer free WiFi at AT&T hotspots - to take the load of the 3G network (and why NOOKcolor doesn't get free AT&T WiFi - no benefit to AT&T).

As it now stands, the only device in existence that allows general internet access over 3G wireless, and does not require the user to purchase a dataplan from the carrier is the Kindle, and I wouldn't be surprised if that went away in future releases.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

The 3G as is is very useful but only for purchasing or looking for nookbooks, but that is all I care to use it for.  I can honestly say I have used the browser only a handful of times.  The e-ink makes it slow and all.  It is not worth it to pay more for a browser on an e-ink device.  Having the ability to use 3G for a browser is not going to place the nook as the A number one bestest ereader ever.  There are many more worthwhile things to have on an e-ink ereader.  I don't consider the browser that important at all.  So Amazon can have it, I would not be encouraged to buy a kindle because of it.  Kindle owners make their choices and nook owners make theirs and it's a happy world.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
truelies
0 Kudos

I think AT&T should give same price to nook or kindle for internet access. I don't think 3G is overloaded in current economy situation, a lot of people want to pay for that expensive plan.

3G for web browser in e-ink is important! When you are in a park, how can you get wifi?

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

If you simply must have constant connectivity, you can purchase a MiFi device :smileyhappy:  Web browsing with an eInk device is a pretty miserable experience though.  All of the major carriers have these devices available.