Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

50,000 Free Copies of thriller, The End of Marking Time

[ Edited ]

Since Christmas I've given away 1,650 copies of  The End of Marking Time  . Help me reach out and offer this book to 50,000 e-book readers this year. The book is available free at http://www.22wb.com

(57) 5 star reviews can't all be wrong.

"... West has brilliantly portrayed a world gone crazy where the rule is there are no rules, or are they.  Crime fiction meets science fiction in this awesome thriller." 10/10

--Book Bitch

"Powerful, thought provoking and massively entertaining...

I loved this book and the way it made me root for someone who I knew I shouldn't like." --CrimeSquad.com

Michael O’Connor is trapped in a Plexiglass cube facing a darkened window. He speaks to you as if you know him because he believes you’ve been watching him for months and are tasked with deciding his fate. The mystery of this book is not only who Michael thinks you are, but who is behind the window and what fate they will choose for Michael.

Please give it a try.

CJ

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Re: 50,000 Free Copies of thriller, The End of Marking Time

The link you've given does not go through.  Please advise.:smileysad:

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Secondarily wrote:

Remove the period after "com"

LisaB

Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Correct Lisa. Thank you.

I have a hard time finishing a sentence without a period. I have now fixed the link in the original message.

The link is http://www.22wb.com

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

Secondarily wrote:

Remove the period after "com"

LisaB

Sorry.  Didn't notice the period when I clicked!

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

@CJ_West this books looks interesting. It kind of sounds like the TV show Persons Unknown that was on last season.

Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

@Kathylcsw,

Lots of people have compared it to 1984. And some people have compared it to the television show where the man was being filmed his whole life and everyone in the town knew but him. I can't remember the name of the show.

I hope you'll give it a try.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

CJ_West wrote:

@Kathylcsw,

Lots of people have compared it to 1984. And some people have compared it to the television show where the man was being filmed his whole life and everyone in the town knew but him. I can't remember the name of the show.

I hope you'll give it a try.

The truman show was the name of the movie or tv show i don't know which.

Your book sounds really good! I'll have to check it out!

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Why is it so difficult to get the book requiring an email be sent to you?

Why not simply provide a download link?

I like the story concept.  I'd probably like the book.  I probably won't read it because I'm not going to email for a book from a unknown to me author... even a free one when there are many other easier options for freebooks.

I see no reason to require an email at all and it's just another barrier to getting your work distributed, plus it's hella time consuming, time that could be put into writing.

If you are trying to build a mailing list, this is not the way to do it.  There are free services that let you build a mailing list and provide a download link.  Google analytics also let's you track downloads. 

Sorry if this comes off a bit harsh, but really.. why add in that simple extra step that's completely unneccesary?  People like myself won't bother (and maybe you don't want people like me either :smileytongue:

Adding a guide to sideloading wouldn't be a bad idea either.  Many people do not know how to do this even though it is pretty easy, this might be their first experience with it.  Don't make it harder than it has to be.  Advertising on review sites and blogs that deal with sideloading traditionally attract those people who know how to sideload and are savvy.  These forums really aren't that place for the same treatment and, yes, you need to dumb it down.

So that's the not-so-bad.  The very-quite-good is that I like that you seem to run regular contests and have online-only versions of your adventures and almost everybody loves a contest. 

I, quite frankly, do not know if amazon or B&N would let you post a book for free.  Perhaps you should inquire if this is not an option normally available to self-published but asking never hurt. Both run freebook sections of their websites.  It'd be easier to track 'sales'. (though I do see you are still selling it at $2.99 on B&N)

I like what you are doing very much overall however.  I just can't be arsed to send an email, and while it may seem petty, it's a very real sentiment in the internet age.   Hosting costs a concern?  ipage.com provides cheap and easy hosting.  I also typically use a blogger for my sites, but I have an ipage account for downloads and flash that can't be hosted through blogger. 

Best of luck and warm wishes.

Max

edit:  Why post a long diatribe about something I could have done 30x over during the time it took me to post this?  Erm, I'm fickle.  If you really want to meet 50k this year, this is how to do it... along with everything else you are doing.

Plus, I simply like giving advice when I see something 'wrong' on the interwebs :smileytongue:

Requiring an email be sent is a senseless waste of time for both you (especially you) and the user.  Internet = Instant gratification.  Simplify and let the 50k flow.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Theriot_Publishing wrote:

Requiring an email be sent is a senseless waste of time for both you (especially you) and the user.  Internet = Instant gratification.  Simplify and let the 50k flow.

It's also a way to create a mailing list... Just a thought...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Author
CJ_West

Now tell me how you really feel.

I initially began doing this because I cannot offer this book free on Amazon.com. Kindle accounts for 99% of my free books and book sales. I have a website, so it is not a matter of hosting cost. Sending books via email was the simplest way to get this up and running.

So far about 2,000 people have taken advantage and many of them have told me they've sent the book to 20 or more friends.  Users have posted this book for download on several sites. I assume you could find them with Google.

In your case, if you are so averse to sending me an email you can ignore me or purchase the book. Your choice.

Thinking this over now, it may make sense that I don't want to give this book to people like you who aren't REALLY interested in reading it. If you aren't excited enough about my work to spend 5 seconds sending me an email, why are you going to spend 10 hours reading my book?

I want to get my work to people who will really enjoy it. That is why I spend countless hours writing.

Contributor
Melissa89
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It took me 10 seconds to send an email and I thought it was worth the effort. I think I will like this book a great deal! Like the author says, maybe he doesn't want to encourage a bunch of people who have issues with completing a simple task to read his book anyway. They would probably spend more time complaining about the book on message boards than they spent actually reading it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Theriot_Publishing wrote:
Plus, I simply like giving advice when I see something 'wrong' on the interwebs :smileytongue:

How about you write a book, try this out, and get back to us.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

@CJ_West,

I downloaded your book yesterday (yes, I sent an email) and just started it.  So far it seems like a good read!

Thank you.

Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Alan and Melissa. I hope you both enjoy it.

This is a book many people feel compelled to talk about. I hope you'll want to tell your friends about it when you are done.

CJ

Contributor
cms1171CS
0 Kudos

I sent an email (1o seconds max), got the book, transferred it to my Nook and look forward to reading it. I will also probably send the file to a few other people who I think might be interested in it.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@CJ_West:

How long does it usually take from the time I send my e-mail to the time I should expect to receive the ebook?  I guess I was expecting something fairly automated and quick, but I sent my e-mail on Saturday and still haven't gotten a response.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I got mine fairly quickly - an hour or so. You may want to e-mail again.

Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie
0 Kudos

I got this back in December, I think, and really liked it.  I would encourage everyone to check it out! Also, I haven't received any spam mail or anything like that, and it took about 15 seconds to put it on my nook and start reading!

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

CJ_West wrote:

Thanks Alan and Melissa. I hope you both enjoy it.

This is a book many people feel compelled to talk about. I hope you'll want to tell your friends about it when you are done.

CJ

I AM actually enjoying it!  I want to see how it ends, though, before I say anything.