Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
dringer
0 Kudos

Re: 50,000 Free Copies of thriller, The End of Marking Time

AlanNJ wrote:

Theriot_Publishing wrote:

Requiring an email be sent is a senseless waste of time for both you (especially you) and the user.  Internet = Instant gratification.  Simplify and let the 50k flow.

It's also a way to create a mailing list... Just a thought...

And then sell it.

Sorry, but too much of that goes on.

Contributor
jsorvik

If you want the book, but are concerned about giving away your email address, the best option is simply to create a disposable, free email account (using hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc.) and after you receive your book, just delete the email account.

Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dang, all 50,000 must have been downloaded.  I can't get the download link anymore.  Am I doing something wrong??  :smileysad:

ETA:  Nevermind!  I figured it out. Duh!

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Ok, so how long does it take to get this book through email?  I requested the download through email at around 9:30 this a.m.  It's now 2 p.m. and I still don't have it.  Any thoughts?

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

Sorry for the delay Brandie. This isn't an automated system, this is me sending messages and sometimes I make mistakes. If you don't have a file, you should send me another request. You should also check your spam or junk folder. My message might be there.

I tend to send the messages out in the evenings. (I focus on writing in the mornings).

Thanks to all who requested the book.

CJ

Frequent Contributor
EagleEyez
0 Kudos

I sent an email and got the book emailed to me within 15 minutes.

Did you check your spam/junk mail folder?

Contributor
Hawkchucker
0 Kudos

Got mine about 24 hours later. Looking forward to reading a fellow Ma. residents stuff. !

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I just finished the book.  It was a good read and the ending was NOT what I expected.  I have to say, though, that I had to just accept some of the premises of the book and not question them... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

So newbie question...

I emailed the author, he sent me the file (.epub format).  Now how do i get it onto the Nook?  I know I need to connect nook to oc via usb cable, bt then what folder do I drop it in?  'My documents' folder on the nook?  Or do I need to use my ADE software first?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

My Documents.  No need for ADE since there's no DRM on the book.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Eeeps, I didn't realize how badly that came off when I posted it.  It wasn't meant to sound like a rant.  But fair enough, I emphasized how much I disliked having to email versus just getting a download link versus the praise I gave.

I do like what you are doing very much.  I may even buckle under and send you an email (don't hate me :smileytongue:)  I've found a few authors that I adore through a 'freebook' and have gone on to buy other books by them.  I very much 'get' why you are offering this (just want it to be easier).

To be more constructive, I'd like to offer a couple suggestions. 

feedburner.com - I don't know if this has the option to give a custom response message automatically, like a download link or not.  It's great for building mailing lists though, but if that is your goal, please make it clear and include some type of privacy policy.

wufoo.com - I've used their free version (I think it provides up to 500 'contacts' per month free.. with sub options for higher volume.. not sure that's what you want and it certainly won't fit your criteria of 50k, but it's still an excellent service.  It's basically a form service that is extremely well done and when people complete the form, even if it's just submitting an email, it sends you a copy to a designated email address you specify and has the glorious option of providing a custom response like a download link.   Perhaps even if not for this promotion, you might check it out for something in the future or just a general contact form for questions.  I've used it for contests and inquires myself and it dazzles.

Now, I'm quite frankly puzzled.  What is the point of having people email you?  I ask because I can only make assumptions, but don't know.  It is time intensive, It's disliked by some people who expect an 'immediate' response in today's internet age.   It seems I've forgotten a general rule that writer's are not necessarily internet savvy, so you may not have known of some of the options available or you may have your own personal reasons for setting it up so.  I apologize if I came off a bit harsh.  I myself seem to learn something new about the interwebs, or blogging, or html or that cute farting panda everday.

Suggestions: 

• If you keep that format, let people know a timeframe for a manual response and that it will take 'up to xx hours' and let them know to send you another request if they haven't received it by then with obvious instruction to check spam/junk as well
  • Provide some type of privacy policy letting people know what you are going to do with their email.  If it is to be used for a mailing list, say so.  If not, state it loudly so.
  • switch to either of the above services if they meet your needs or find a similar one that does
  • provide a guide on how to sideload the book (many people are new to this and this could be their first time, like a poster above in this thread.

Enacting any one (or all) of these above suggestions would make your site better. 

And I'll be in your shoes shortly though haven't officially published anything yet (we are focused on enhanced kid's books).  I am not an expert but have run several gaming sites and have some good feeling for what works and what doesn't.  Offering a direct download link would be the 'best' course of action with google analytics to track it (or any analyzing service)  Of course, your experience may vary from that naturally.  The bigger key is that I don't know what you want to get out of this other than 50k books distributed.  And rightly, that is none of my business.  Though I hope you do see some of the privacy concerns and what that email will be used for type issues.

Again, I apologize for coming off 'know it all' and brash.  It really was a poorly expressed desire to help.  I hope you can see that.

One of my most recent privacy policies was as follows.  While drab in some aspects and some boring legal, check out the 2nd to last paragraph for some fun (i never got a single request, but it's still important to have these things (especially if you integrate adsense ever).  You can find many generic privacy policies online

Best Wishes to you, and to all a good night!  (and dammit, yes, I'm buckling under the pressure and just sent you an email)

San Paro ATLAS Privacy Policy

This site will be referred to as San Paro ATLAS within this notice.

At San Paro ATLAS, the privacy of our visitors is of extreme importance to us. This privacy policy document outlines the types of personal information is received and collected by San Paro ATLAS and how it is used.

Log Files
Like many other Web sites, San Paro ATLAS.info makes use of log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol ( IP ) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider ( ISP ), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses, and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable.

Cookies and Web Beacons
San Paro ATLAS does use cookies to store information about visitors preferences, record user-specific information on which pages the user access or visit, customize Web page content based on visitors browser type or other information that the visitor sends via their browser.

DoubleClick DART Cookie
.:: Google, as a third party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on San Paro ATLAS.
.:: Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to users based on their visit to San Paro ATLAS and other sites on the Internet.
.:: Users may opt out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy at the following URL - http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html

Some of our advertising partners may use cookies and web beacons on our site. Our advertising partners include Google Adsense and may occasionally include other services.

These third-party ad servers or ad networks use technology to provide the advertisements and links that appear on San Paro ATLAS which are sent directly to your browsers. They automatically receive your IP address when this occurs. Other technologies (such as cookies, JavaScript, or Web Beacons) may also be used by the third-party ad networks to measure the effectiveness of their advertisements and/or to personalize the advertising content that you see.

San Paro ATLAS has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers.

You should consult the respective privacy policies of these third-party ad servers for more detailed information on their practices as well as for instructions about how to opt-out of certain practices. San Paro ATLAS's privacy policy does not apply to, and we cannot control the activities of, such other advertisers or web sites.

If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers' respective websites.  

By visiting this website, you agree to grant us a non-transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul. We reserve the right to serve such notice in 6 (six) foot high letters of fire. San Paro ATLAS will not be responsible for any incidental damage due to collection of our rightful property. If you dispute our clause to for ever more own your immortal soul, please contact us within 1 (one) day of your initial visit to this site for an exemption. No exceptions will be made after this notice period.

Our policies concerning children: We eat them, lightly braised with a side of steamed broccoli.  If you are age 12 or younger, you are not permitted to be on this site.  Please go to Free Realms for age appropriate gameplay.

T

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Ok, I still haven't gotten the download.  I checked my spam - its not there either.

I just tried again to email my address and when I click on the "email us" link, it wants me to open a gmail account or Yahoo.  Why can't I just use Outlook to send an email? Yesterday it at least opened Outlook.  Help!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Contributor
goddessqueen
0 Kudos

Just sent my request for the book. Looking forward to reading it.

Reader 2
dringer
0 Kudos

jsorvik wrote:

If you want the book, but are concerned about giving away your email address, the best option is simply to create a disposable, free email account (using hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc.) and after you receive your book, just delete the email account.

I appreciate the suggestion, but that's not what the author wants.  For whatever reason he has made an offer - send me your e-mail address and I'll send you my book.  That's a fair offer  I (or whoever) am free to accept or decline.  If I (or whoever) don't like the offer, then the ethically correct action is to figuratively walk away, maybe while voicing my concerns.
It is not ethically correct to mislead the author.  And while I don't accept the offer, it is an interesting marketing technique.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

dringer wrote:
It is not ethically correct to mislead the author.  And while I don't accept the offer, it is an interesting marketing technique.

For those who are concerned about submitting an e-mail address for a free book, it is available at B&N. The author does not explain why he has chosen to circumvent and undercut his publisher and distributors, in a forum provided by one of the distributors, to offer this book at no cost.

The End of Marking Time

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Author
CJ_West

Desert_Brat,

"The author does not explain why he has chosen to circumvent and undercut his publisher and distributors, in a forum provided by one of the distributors, to offer this book at no cost."

The reason I am offering this book free is simple. I want the book to be read. Those who have read the book have recommended it to others and have increased my sales of this particular book so that it outsells my other books almost 20 to 1. Yes, it is free AND it outsells my other books 20 to 1. Many readers come back to me and say they have purchased all my other books after reading THE END OF MARKING TIME.

I am my own publisher, so I'm not cheating a big firm.  Yes I am offering this book free on BN, Amazon, and anywhere else that will post about the book. These firms are all getting increased sales of my books because I am willing to give this book away.

Many people are hung up on the fact that I'm distributing this book via email. I can assure you that I'm not selling email addresses and I'm insulted by those who suggest I might. Giving the book away via email is not as efficient as a download. That began by accident. I wanted the book available, but couldn't figure out the download on my web page. Then something interesting happened. My friends started telling me how people who didn't want their books were downloading freebies and then trashing them in reviews that began something like "I don't like this genre, but it was free."  They were upset by 1 star reviews from people who would never have purchased the book if it was $.99.

I am looking for people who WANT to read my books. If you don't want my work enough to either send me an email or pay $2.99 on B&N, then please read something else. Don't be offended. There are millions of other choices out there. I am looking for lifelong fans who will be delighted with what I write.

Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

Dringer,

I have no problem with people setting up a dummy email to receive my book.  If they want to go through that much trouble to receive the book, it tells me that they want it.

My offer is technically, send me a request and I'll send you the book.

For those of you who have received the book, you'll notice that I have sent you an email that makes forwarding the book to your friends easy. The email describes the book and the reviews so all you need to do is click FWD.

Many people who have received the book have emailed it on to 20 or more friends and that is highly encouraged.

CJ

Reader 4
soflbklvr
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Ahhhh the return of the blank messages!

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Mr. West,

First let me say, this is from my own curiousity, but I'm sure others have wondered about these things as well.

Would it not have been more prudent to make arrangements with your sellers/distributors to temporarily reduce the cost of this book to $0.00, which would then allow it to be placed in areas that advertise free e-books?

All other books aside, you entered into an agreement with your sellers/distributors to receive a portion of sales on that book in return for listing your book in their catalog and undertaking the cost of advertising and maintaining your book on their websites or other avenues of distribution.

In round numbers, at 50,000 copies based on an arbitrary figure of a 30% share of $2.99 before taxes, means a loss of $44,850 to sellers/distributors; and this excludes the copies that were e-mailed on to "20 or more friends." Would this not be grounds for punative damages on the part of the sellers/distributors?

One of my favorite writers is a well-published author and also gives his books away for free. This is an agreement he makes with the publishing house before he enters into any agreements. These free books are also offered on his own website. He does not publicly undercut his publishers/distributors by using forums or avenues sponsored by said publishers/distributors. He also works to offer legitimate promotional discounts through his publishers/distributors. Again, this is by agreement between the parties prior to the promotion.

Whether or not this generates sales of other works is irrelevant in that you have an agreement on this book. Unless you have an agreement to set aside, even temporarily, the sellers/distributors' share on this undertaking based on other sales, then you are depriving the sellers/distributors of income. Or do you have an agreement to reimburse the sellers/distributors for that loss?

I'm just curious. I like free things as well as everyone else. I am, however, somewhat disturbed in the circumventional course you have chosen -- especially in today's economy when businesses are struggling to stay open, I would think every penny counts toward an end goal of keeping the doors open.

I wish you all the best.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!