Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
CJ_West
0 Kudos

Re: 50,000 Free Copies of thriller, The End of Marking Time

Desert Brat,

Sellers / Distributors don't have exclusive rights to books. My giving a book away doesn't really diminish their ability to sell it. In fact it enhances their ability to sell my work. They end up selling more of it. It may be true that my post here sways some readers to choose my free book over one they might have purchased. But I do think free offers expand the market for books more than anything.

I cannot set a price of $0 on Amazon which is my biggest market. If I could set the price to $0.00 on Amazon I would have done this long ago. Because I can't I need to work hard to give away books for free.

When you see books given free by Amazon those are arrangements made between Amazon and the publisher. For unknown writers Amazon won't allow books to be sold free. While I might be able to do this for Nook, it is such a small component of my sales (about 1/1,000th) that it wouldn't really matter.

CJ

Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

Re: 50,000 Free Copies of thriller, The End of Marking Time

I stumbled across this thread, visited CJ's website and provided my "public" email address that I use for subscriptions and posting online, and within a short time (less than 3 hours) he emailed me the NOOK Book version of this title. Thank you CJ, I look forward to reading it! And good luck with the short story you're working on; I look forward to reading that, too.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]