Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎04-05-2010
0 Kudos

A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎06-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

Thanks! 

Frequent Contributor
reba115
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎06-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

I'm not sure what's going on but the eBook, Gray Matter by David Levy, comes up as costing just under $10.00.  Be careful!  2 out of 3 are free tho so that's not bad.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
nannyto1
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎02-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

Thank you for sharing the link. I downloaded the 2 free books...

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
Posts: 57
Registered: ‎12-20-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

Well, I had to put on my geek hat (which looks suspiciously like a colander) to get it done, but I now have Gray Matter, and I didn't pay for it.  I too ran into the greater-than-zero price at BN, so I tried Sony. To get it from there, you have to download their reader software, which I did--but even after doing so and installing it, it still insisted that I needed to download the software.  So I went to the other link, CBD, which required me to open an account, but did NOT require a credit card number. When I went to download the book, it asked me to open Adobe Digital Editions, which I was perfectly happy to do, but then I got some kind of network error message, and the book would not download. A couple more tries got me the same error message. So then I copied the link out of the error message, which ended in .epub, popped that link into my browser, and then had the option to save the epub file on my computer, which I did. Then, in ADE, I went to "add to library" and was able to open the downloaded epub file.

 

Whew!

 

Perhaps this means one has to USE one's own gray matter to acquire a free copy of the Gray Matter book....

Frequent Contributor
wrapunzel
Posts: 103
Registered: ‎11-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

 


CrankyBeach wrote:

Well, I had to put on my geek hat (which looks suspiciously like a colander) to get it done, but I now have Gray Matter, and I didn't pay for it.  I too ran into the greater-than-zero price at BN, so I tried Sony. To get it from there, you have to download their reader software, which I did--but even after doing so and installing it, it still insisted that I needed to download the software.  So I went to the other link, CBD, which required me to open an account, but did NOT require a credit card number. When I went to download the book, it asked me to open Adobe Digital Editions, which I was perfectly happy to do, but then I got some kind of network error message, and the book would not download. A couple more tries got me the same error message. So then I copied the link out of the error message, which ended in .epub, popped that link into my browser, and then had the option to save the epub file on my computer, which I did. Then, in ADE, I went to "add to library" and was able to open the downloaded epub file.

 

Whew!

 

Perhaps this means one has to USE one's own gray matter to acquire a free copy of the Gray Matter book....


Thanks, CrankyBeach!  I was waiting for this to show up free at B&N.  Like you, I also was able to download it from CBD without any difficulty.  It went right to ADE.  Easy, peasy!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

 

Frequent Contributor
SantaFeSue
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎08-06-2010

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

@CrankyBeach,

 

For future purchases or freebies from Sony: open the downloaded app, then click on the eBookstore icon, then enter the title of the book you want. 

 

Very convoluted, but after getting the same "download the app" message many times, I figured out an end-run!

 

Happy Sony shopping!

Correspondent
bookitID
Posts: 113
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

They updated the website. Gray Matter is now free at B&N. Enjoy.

Frequent Contributor
wrapunzel
Posts: 103
Registered: ‎11-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

@bookitID Thanks! And thanks to B&N as well!
Distinguished Correspondent
blemons
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

Word of caution...

 

I tried to "purchase" it from BN - the page was showing as free.

 

But it charged me $9.99

 

I did call CS and they said they would run through a refund and cancellation.

 

Just be sure to check AFTER you "purchase" the free book to be sure you don't get charged.

 

It didn't give me the pop-up of "your credit card will be charged" with the option to confirm or cancel.  It went to my library just like the free books do.  But my order summary showed $9.99 and BN did confirm they are showing me getting charged $9.99

 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

 


SantaFeSue wrote:

@CrankyBeach,

 

For future purchases or freebies from Sony: open the downloaded app, then click on the eBookstore icon, then enter the title of the book you want. 

 

Very convoluted, but after getting the same "download the app" message many times, I figured out an end-run!

 

Happy Sony shopping!


 

To purchase any ebooks from Sony - you need to do so from within the Ap (as stated above).  You cannot do so direct from Sony's website - even if you have the ap downloaded.

 

 

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
Posts: 57
Registered: ‎12-20-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

 


SantaFeSue wrote:

@CrankyBeach,

 

For future purchases or freebies from Sony: open the downloaded app, then click on the eBookstore icon, then enter the title of the book you want. 

 

Very convoluted, but after getting the same "download the app" message many times, I figured out an end-run!

 

Happy Sony shopping!


 

Wow, good work, Sue! I hereby doff my geek hat/colander to you!

 

And I will freely admit, I probably would NEVER have thought of THAT trick....... :smileywink:

Inspired Contributor
CrankyBeach
Posts: 57
Registered: ‎12-20-2010
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

And I'm glad it said so, right on their website, right next to the "want this book?" button....

 

Oh. Wait a minute........  :robottongue:


blemons wrote:

 


SantaFeSue wrote:

@CrankyBeach,

 

For future purchases or freebies from Sony: open the downloaded app, then click on the eBookstore icon, then enter the title of the book you want. 

 

Very convoluted, but after getting the same "download the app" message many times, I figured out an end-run!

 

Happy Sony shopping!


 

To purchase any ebooks from Sony - you need to do so from within the Ap (as stated above).  You cannot do so direct from Sony's website - even if you have the ap downloaded.

 

 


 

Correspondent
Rocknsoul
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:


blemons wrote:

Word of caution...

 

I tried to "purchase" it from BN - the page was showing as free.

 

But it charged me $9.99

 

I did call CS and they said they would run through a refund and cancellation.

 

Just be sure to check AFTER you "purchase" the free book to be sure you don't get charged.

 

It didn't give me the pop-up of "your credit card will be charged" with the option to confirm or cancel.  It went to my library just like the free books do.  But my order summary showed $9.99 and BN did confirm they are showing me getting charged $9.99

 

 


It looks like they've fixed the button. I just downloaded it, and it was free.:smileyhappy:

Contributor
witnwool
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎01-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: A few free NOOKbooks from Tyndale:

Thank you for the tip!