Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

A proposal for the Nook Classic

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Nook Color is out and the reports that I have heard so far are glowing.  I purchased my "Classic" Nook just prior to the announcement of the Nook Color and I decided to keep it rather than return it for the Nook Color.  From the reports that we are getting from those that have the Nook Color, that may not have been the best choice.  However, I am happy with what I have.

Now, I have to look at the "Classic" Nook and the capabilities of the Nook Color and realize that my unit is somewhat obsolete.  Depending on what software B&N comes up with for the Nook Color (NC), it may stretch its capabilities so far that the "Classic" Nook may become an orphan.  Ultimately, that is gong to happen with the march of technology but I have a proposal for B&N or those out there with lots of programming experience. Why not update the "Classic" Nook software to keep it relevant for a while longer.  What do I mean by this?  Let me postulate.

The Nook has a decent processor, an E-ink display, and a touchscreen LCD. It is unlikely that there will be a hardware upgrade option (say replace the E-ink display with a touchscreen e-Ink or another LCD).  However, what if with the Firmware 1.5 you could improve the browsing experience and add some more file types?  Assuming that happens, you could continue to update the file types to add more in the future and the current hardware would support it.  You also have a full fledged LCD screen that with a software update could play videos like the NC.  So with some software updates, you would give the "Classic" Nook the ability to play all of the file types the NC has and make it available for interactive magazines and newspapers.  Ultimately, the device could be a dedicated E-Reader with the ability to display e-books, many or most other files to include periodicals, whatever music you wanted, and have a limited web browsing experience.

Before the nay-sayers jump on this idea, please understand I realize that this would be a very limited device compared to the NC and whatever comes after it.  Yes the videos would be on a very small screen so that video of the latest auto in your favorite car magazine, or the latest how to in your Martha Stewart Home Loving will be tiny and severely compromise compared to the Nook Color.  It won't be able to do Flash so unless the browser is upgraded to HTML 5 (and maybe even then) you aren't going to have web videos or interactivity compared to the NC or its successors.  What it will be is a greatly expanded original e-book reader that can do a lot more things than originally intended.

So why do it?  Why would B&N or the average owner of a "Classic" Nook care?  I can think of a few reasons.  Imagine what would happen to the average consumers opinion about B&N if they upgraded or allowed someone to upgrade the "Classic" Nook in this manner?  They would get great customer feedback because they weren't left in the lurch for the advance of new technology.  Instead of figuratively saying, "well it's old technology and we want more money so you are hosed.  Buy our new toy now!", they would figuratively be saying, "We take care of our own".  It will garner them loyalty which does usually translate into more purchases and the development costs won't be much because it could be a piggyback program on the NC or an upcoming Nook.  Also, for those of who may not have the money to go out and purchase a new Nook (or competitor), this would be very much appreciated and I postulate that it would garner B&N loyalty.  That way if I or another saw both of these things, we would be more likely to purchase another future Nook product because "B&N took care of their own".  All the way around, B&N wins.  More loyalty, more customer satisfaction, and I beleive ultimately, more sales.

So, I put this out there for your comment.  Is my proposal totally flawed, spot on, or somewhere in between?  I look forward to your comments.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT

Re: A proposal for the Nook Classic

B & N still hasn't ruled out the possibility of allowing apps to be written for the NOOK. the NOOKDeveloper faq specifically addresses this. It say that B & N at this time has chosen to start with a sdk for the NOOKColor but plan to expand that to other platforms in the future. I don't think they are going to let the NOOK go by the wayside and make no improvements. The two devices still have different but overlapping audience and therefore to revenue streams.

Frequent Contributor
RebelsLGB
0 Kudos

I don't think B&N is going to abandon the Nook Classic...at least not for awhile while there is still a big kindle, kobo, sony e-ink reader market.  

I think the Nook Color and Nook Classic are two completely different things, and are ultimately aimed at different markets, that will admittedly have some overlap in consumers.  

I hope to get a Nook Color for Christmas, but fully intend on still doing most of my book reading on the Nook Classic, e-ink is GREAT for that, and I really don't think an LCD is going to make Book reading any better.  On the other hand, I've enjoyed my Nook so much, and I also enjoy not having book clutter around the house anymore, and not needing to carry a whole bag of books while traveling (I like to have choices).  How great that now with a Nook Color I can carry these things over to Magazines!  I am going to LOVE not having all of my monthly subscriptions lying around the house with no place to go.  Also, since I don't own a laptop, and have been on again and off again about owning an ipad (too much $$ all I want it for is the internet and easier e-mail than my iphone provides while traveling...and I'm an apple "fangirl" so that's really saying something), this will solve my internet & email issues while I'm away.  Currently I have a carrying case for my imac, which is fine...but kinda bulky, and then I have to set up awhole computer in my hotel or whatever.  Plus there is the battery life...anyone who reads a lot is going to get tired of constantly charging the nook color's battery, not an issue with e-ink devices.

I have a friend who bought an ipad when they were first launched and was enjoying using it as an e-reader.  Then he saw my nook and the e-ink technology in person, and thought it was cool.  He just bought a Kindle this week, and says its much easier for him to read his books on the kindle than the ipad, after months of daily reading on an LCD (after staring at a computer for an 8 hour workday) he was having eye-strain problems.

So I think the Nook Classic will still remain a big seller for B&N with avid book readers, because the technology of that device is aimed at exactly that market.  

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

I agree with the comments so far and I must admit that I like the ability to read on the e-ink and not have any eye strain issues with it.  I think that if nothing else on the Classic Nook changed but a touchscreen e-ink upper panel, that would be a HUGE improvement hardware wise.  Make that touch screen panel a color e-ink panel with my suggested software improvements and the Nook would handle the vast majority of the reasons I bring a laptop with me.  That is another reason why I hope my proposal comes true as it would make my Nook even better for what I require.  Now if I was just an electronics engineer I could figure out a way to make it happen....

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper

I personally have absolutely no interest in NookColor. I wanted an eReader, not an iPad. The LCD screen alone is enough to make an avid reader say "No Thanks!!"

I don't want te eye strain... I want to feel like I'm reading a book, not a document on a computer.

Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

I enjoy my Nook just the way it is.  I wanted an ereader and that is what I have. I'm not interested in emails or facebook while I'm reading.  I hope B&N will continue to support the original Nook.  If my Nook were to become obsolete I'd probably end up going back to DTBs.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP

I'm with the others.  If I wanted an iPad, I would have bought an iPad.  I wanted an e-reader.  Am I in the market now for an iPad?  Yes but that is because the app developers have come up with several useful apps that pertain to my job which would decrease the amount of supplies I have to carry around (I work in home health).  I already have some on my iPhone but the geriatric community can't really read an iPhone that well. 

I prefer my NOOK to be just an e-reader.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

There's a new Nook color out?   I've been so busy reading my old Nook that I hadn't even noticed.  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

IMO the best thing that B&N could do for the Nook is to add some functionality in the area of library management & enabling coverflow for all content. I would like to see a tap (instead of swipe) page advance feature on the LCD & full email functionality. I also like the Kobo feature that uses the currently reading book cover as a screensaver. Just periodically tweaking the firmware would be a positive statement & indicate that they are still interested in their Nook Classic users.

Cheers,

kev

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

Prmetime wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Why not update the "Classic" Nook software to keep it relevant for a while longer.

B&N is updating the Nook software.  Version 1.5 is supposed to give us faster page turns and organizational capabilities for our B&N page.  While I'd very much like to have longer battery life and  Pearl screen, I realize that's something that will have to wait until there's a Nook 2 (I assume (hope?) there will be a Nook 2 at some point).

While you have some interesting suggestions, based on the response so far I think it's clear that there are many Nook users (including myself) who like the Nook the way it is - an ereader that doesn't need to display color.  I'm glad there's a Nook Color and, if I ever have a need for one, I'll buy it.  But I'd rather have a Nook 2. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Urban_Casey
0 Kudos

Technology is continually evolving. Several months from now, the Nook2 will have features and capabilities lacking in both the Nook Classic and the Nook Color. Base your technology purchases on what you really need and like to do. :robothappy:

When you change your focus, you will change your results.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

There's a new Nook color out?   I've been so busy reading my old Nook that I hadn't even noticed.  :smileywink:

:smileyvery-happy:

LisaB

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

To Critterkeeper, Sharno22, and MegSLP,

Perhaps I haven't been clear in my proposal.  I'm not suggesting that anyone get a Nook Color.  Nor am I suggesting that B&N make another Nook Color out of a Nook Classic.  What I am proposing is to give the Nook Classic, some of the functionality of the Nook color through software updates.  You would still have your Nook with an E-Ink screen.  You would just have the ability to do some of the things that the Nook Color can do with your existing hardware.  If you don't want to go online or check email, don't use the browser?  You have no interest in periodicals with embedded video, don't subscribe to them.  If B&N could update the Classic Nook to do some of the things that the Nook Color can do with a free software update, would you get rid of your Nook or be upset if others used that functionality?

Frequent Contributor
polishnookguy

There is no obsolescence in the Classic just yet.   As far as I'm concerned, it has too many advantages.   When you buy a Classic, you buy it for one reason, and one reason only.  To read.  Without hurting your eyes.  There is no interest in apps, or browsers (even though the Classic has the capability), or Facebook, or any of that other silliness, when all you want is a well put together, fine performing reader. 

Look at it this way....the fact that the Classic can be considered "limited" by some is fine with me.  I think of it as expert in the area of reading.   If I want a toy that does lots of things, I'll play with an iPad.   The iPad is a toy.    The Classic is a reader.

Also, I just found out that the Color is following the trend in electronics now that force you to use a proprietary charger.   No more universal charging capabilities like the Classic.    No replaceable battery.   All of the things that make the Classic a practical device,have been removed from the Color.  

Nope, the Classic has all the capabilities I'll ever need in a reader. 

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

Well it appears that my proposal is falling on deaf ears.  As the majority of people who have responded to my proposal have been staunchly in the "I like my Nook just the way it is" camp, I seem to have annoyed more than provoked some thought.  I guess I'm way off base here. :smileywink:

Ah well.  I shall still hope that some of my ideas make it into further revision of the Classic Nook firmware updates.

Frequent Contributor
polishnookguy
0 Kudos

I don't think you're way off base.   There's a very fundamental problem here.  The Classic and the Color are so different from each other, that I think it would be difficult to impossible to enhance the Classic with some of the functionality of the Color.   The first problem is the screen.   The LCD is naturally faster and more responsive than the e-ink, and so can display different things.   Some of the functionality in the Color would not go over well in the Classic.  

Also, people who buy e-ink readers are very defensive of the product and its purpose.   We love the screen and how it's easy on the eyes and visible in sun, and yada, yada, yada.   Any suggestion of placing features that many don't believe even belong in an e-ink reader is bound to ruffle some feathers,  and I think this is what might have happened here.  I don't think you're off base, but It rubs against the fundamental purpose of the e-ink reader....to be read like a real book.      

That being said, wait a bunch of months.   When the new Mirasol screen readers start showing up, your suggestions will start to become the norm.   You might know about it, but if you don't yet know about Mirasol, Google it and check it out.   You'll see how your vision, and the reality of Mirasol are closely tied together.  It's only a matter of time.

Reader 2
hernan84
0 Kudos

Definitely a classic Nook SDK release would be the greatest thing that B&N guys can do. Communities, dev groups and nook app shops will increase its attractive so much. Of course we all know that for B&N guys it means more classic Nooks for sell.

It's great, it's beautiful, it's simple, got the greatest open and linux based mobile SO Android, it's cheap, etc, etc, etc. What else can we request?...

...Oh yes a SDK and a worldwide support :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Prmetime wrote:

You would still have your Nook with an E-Ink screen.  You would just have the ability to do some of the things that the Nook Color can do with your existing hardware.  If you don't want to go online or check email, don't use the browser?  You have no interest in periodicals with embedded video, don't subscribe to them.  If B&N could update the Classic Nook to do some of the things that the Nook Color can do with a free software update, would you get rid of your Nook or be upset if others used that functionality?

We can already look at basic websites and gmail with the beta browser.

I can't imagine looking at video on the tiny, oddly shaped LCD screen on my NOOK.  Really?  It's one of those releases that if it were done, would be panned over and over as worthless and not working.

I'm not against NOOK being optimized, but most of the NOOKcolor features aren't going to work with our current hardware.  Pandora will - but I, personally, don't understand why anyone wants to listen to music from NOOK.  The sound quality isn't as good as my $30 wooted Sansa Fuze and I always either have a real stereo or my phone or mp3 player available.  But, for those that do, it wouldn't bother me if that were implemented because it could actually work.

I would hate to see them add features to NOOK that don't really work with it and then create a lot of bad press.  It does what it does pretty well.  I'm not against it being developed to do other things, even if it does them mediocrely.  I am against it being developed to do things that it can't do better than poorly.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Prmetime wrote:

Well it appears that my proposal is falling on deaf ears.  As the majority of people who have responded to my proposal have been staunchly in the "I like my Nook just the way it is" camp, I seem to have annoyed more than provoked some thought.  I guess I'm way off base here. :smileywink:

Ah well.  I shall still hope that some of my ideas make it into further revision of the Classic Nook firmware updates.

It isn't falling on deaf ears, but sympathetic folks are pretty much silent as "the nook is an ereader only" crowd here usually overwhelms any discussions of enhancements beyond the ereader functionality with posts that at best contribute "that isn't how I use my nook" and at times are significantly negative.  I suppose some of this stems from frustration at B&N's slow response in adopting some desired ereader enhancements, but it is shortsighted as more folks will adopt the nook with other non-ereader features than with ereader features alone.  For example, I got the nook after the browser was added.  I use the nook primarily as an ereader, but do occasionally use the browser and I wouldn't have bought the nook without it.

As for your proposals, I would welcome many of them.  If any of them are adopted though I'd expect it to be done along with the introduction of a new Nook (eink version) assuming the technology remains compatible with the current Nook.  I'd expect those additions to be used as selling points.  My feeling is that B&N will not be adding many more enhancements to the current Nook absent a connection with the next generation Nook.  Maybe a good question for B&N, "will there be a version 1.6 update for the Nook classic?".

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

tmr4 wrote:

Prmetime wrote:

It isn't falling on deaf ears, but sympathetic folks are pretty much silent as "the nook is an ereader only" crowd here usually overwhelms any discussions of enhancements beyond the ereader functionality with posts that at best contribute "that isn't how I use my nook" and at times are significantly negative.  I suppose some of this stems from frustration at B&N's slow response in adopting some desired ereader enhancements, but it is shortsighted as more folks will adopt the nook with other non-ereader features than with ereader features alone.  For example, I got the nook after the browser was added.  I use the nook primarily as an ereader, but do occasionally use the browser and I wouldn't have bought the nook without it.

If B&N wants to add "enhancements" to the Nook, that's fine, but let me choose if I want to add them to my Nook.  For instance, when they added the browser and the games, they reorganized the buttons on the touch screen.  I got to the WiFi and settings areas way more often than games or browser, but I'm forced to have to scroll past other buttons I don't use, to get to the ones I do use.  I bought my Nook to be an eReader, not anything else.  So, I believe that B&N should first make an effort to add the reader options, then, they can add games or whatever, and again, let me choose whether or not I want them cluttering up my Nook.  And let me organize the buttons how I want, so I can move the ones I never or rarely use out of the way.