Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons
0 Kudos

ADE, Calibre, etc. - Another Question

[ Edited ]

Edited to add:  What about Nook PC?  I am currently using it as a backup source for my BN books (to get them on my PC).  Is there any benefit to using this for NON-BN books (other than of course using it as a device to read them on the PC)?  I realize it would be one way to keep them all together - but can you sideload from NookPC to Nook?  Also, if I'm using Calibre, is there any additional reason to use NookPC?

I appreciate all the input on my previous post.  Thanks!  I think I will check out Calibre.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get my head around the whole process, so here is my understanding and a couple questions.  If you could correct any mistakes or fill in any blanks, I would appreciate it.

I am listing basic steps only - I know detailed information can be found elsewhere on these boards, BN's main site, etc.

For non-BN (non-Sony) books:

1.  Purchase from e-bookstore

2.  Download to PC

3.  Pull into ADE

4.  From ADE to Calibre

5.  From Calibre to Nook (sideload)

Do you pull all non-BN books into ADE - or only those that require it?  How do you know which require it?  I have been using ADE for all my non-BN books - partly to keep them in one place (I have not downloaded Calibre, yet), and partly because I'm not sure which require it. 

For Sony Books

1.  Purchase through Sony E-reader

2.  Pull into ADE

3.  From ADE to Calibre

4.  From Calibre to Nook (sideload)

For library books

1.  Borrow from library

2.  pull into ADE

3.  from ADE to Nook

For BN Books:

1.  Purchase either through Nook or from BN.com

2.  Check for new content to download recent purchases

3.  Transfer from Nook to PC for input into Calibre, changes, etc. for organizing

Or, would you do this?

1.  Purchase from BN

2.  Download to your PC

3.  Pull into Calibre

4.  Make changes

5.  Sideload to Nook (is there any benefit to this?  I know there are DRM issues which limit Calibre's use, but can Calibre do ANYTHING other than just index the books?)

Or am I missing some step or some procedure that you may find more helpful?  I would appreciate any insights.

Thanks.

Berit

Frequent Contributor
bewhoyouareandbethatwell
0 Kudos

Re: ADE, Calibre, etc. - Another Question

I'm not sure what "pull" means!  I bought a book from Sony and have it on their reader library.  I cna't get it to recognize my nook, and when I open ADE I'm not sure how to move it.

The manual isn't much help.

Thanks!

blemons
0 Kudos

by "pull" I just mean move....

as for getting books from sony reader to ADE - here is what I did:

1.  open ADE

2.  there should be a pull-down menu at top that says "library" - click on the arrow

3.  go to "add item to library"

4.  navigate to where your sony books are stored (for me, on windows 7, it's under My Documents - My Books - Reader Library.

5.  Choose the book you want to move into ADE.

6.  Click "open".

The book should now be in ADE - when you go to open it/read it, etc.  But the file remains stored in the "Reader library" file, while other books that you bring into ADE will be in "my digital editions" - which for me is in My Documents.

ADE does not move the file out of "reader library" but memorizes that you have that book and where it is stored, so it can open it again next time.  And it will be listed in ADE (when you open ADE) with all other books you have in ADE.

I hope that wasn't too confusing...  Try it and maybe you'll see what I mean..

Frequent Contributor
bewhoyouareandbethatwell
0 Kudos

It worked!  Thanks for all the time you took to write that out for me.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

The Sony books may have to be sideloaded using ADE.

Sony, Borders, Google eBook Store, Libraries and a host of other sites use Adobe DRM. If they can be added to Calibre and sideloaded that way, then great! I don't have any Adobe DRM to play with and check out.

blemons
0 Kudos

@ bewhoyouareandbethatwell - You're Welcome.  Glad it worked out.

@ gstone - Thanks.  Please confirm whether I'm understanding this correctly.

Basically, if it's Adobe DRM then it at least needs to be run through ADE before going to Calibre - and possibly even sideloaded from ADE (instead of Calibre). 

But if it's NOT Adobe DRM (i.e. DRM-Free) then it can just be put into Calibre and sideloaded from there - without any reason to run it through ADE first?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

blemons wrote:

Basically, if it's Adobe DRM then it at least needs to be run through ADE before going to Calibre - and possibly even sideloaded from ADE (instead of Calibre). 

To clarify:

1. You have to use Adobe Digital Editions for the one-time activation of your computer. Important: always activate with an Adobe account, never anonymously. If you do an anonymous activation, your Adobe e-books can only be read on that specific computer. Ever.

2. You have to use Adobe Digital Editions for the one-time authorization of your NOOK.

3. You have to use Adobe Digital Editions for downloading every Adobe EPUB (or PDF) from the supplier to your computer. Exception: Sony uses its Reader Library program instead. This is the primary day-to-day usage of Adobe Digital Editions.

4. You have to use Adobe Digital Editions for transferring time-limited e-books — such as a library e-books or galley proofs — to your NOOK. This is because ADE has to set up your NOOK with the proper expiration information. You can copy normal (no time limit) Adobe e-books to your NOOK using Windows Explorer, ADE, Calibre, or any other tool you want.

5. You have to use either Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader Library if you want to read an Adobe EPUB (or PDF) on your computer.

blemons
0 Kudos

Great Information!  Thanks, Doug.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

[ Edited ]

blemons wrote:

But if it's NOT Adobe DRM (i.e. DRM-Free) then it can just be put into Calibre and sideloaded from there - without any reason to run it through ADE first?

DRM Free or BN DRM can both be loaded in Calibre and sideloaded to the nook using Calibre. The same is true for Nook for PC. Calibre has a ton of organizational tools to use. Nook for PC has none.

When Adobe released Server Content 4 it included 2 methods for managing DRM;

Server authentication = Adobe DRM

Local authentication = BN DRM

Server authentication downloads a file which is not a book but your authorization for that book. You open that file with ADE which logs back into the server and downloads the book.

Local authenication is a password stored on each device and used to authorize reading books. Your initial download is the book itself.

I believe it was Doug_Pardee who posted instructions on getting Sony eBooks onto the nook. I'll have to do a search for that and see what he had to say. Sony uses Adobe DRM and their own eReader app rather than  ADE to download books. Or that's my understanding. I will know better after reading the instructions.

Edit: Speak of the Devil. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote: 

Normal Adobe Digital Editions setup (one time):

1. Get an Adobe ID. I recommend that a family use a shared Adobe ID so that they can share their e-books.
  2. Download/Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
  3. Activate Adobe Digital Editions with your Adobe ID. Do not use ADE in "anonymous" mode.
  4. Go to "Library>Authorize" and double-check that the correct Adobe ID has been used.
  5. When you're done, you can close Adobe Digital Editions if you want. Or you can leave it open. You'll be using it again after you're done shopping.

Sony Reader Store setup (one time):

1. Download/Install Sony's Reader software. This is kind of a variant of ADE. You do not want to associate .epub and .acsm files with Sony Reader (especially .acsm, or you'll break downloading to Adobe Digital Editions from other stores and the library).
  2. Run the Reader software and go to the e-store.
  3. Create an account at Sony. You must use the same e-mail address as you used for your Adobe ID. For convenience, use the same password. Otherwise Sony will keep asking for your Adobe ID password.
  4. You will be asked if you want to authorize that computer for Sony Reader's e-store. You do.

By the way: you can have up to six computers authorized to the same Sony Reader account at a time, so you may want to download/install/login/authorize on some other computers. If you do, it might be helpful to go to "my account" and near the bottom is a "manage devices" link that will let you give descriptive names to each authorized computer.

Buying e-books at Sony:

1. Use Sony's Reader software to browse the store and buy any e-books of interest. Note: when you buy an e-book, it's automatically downloaded with no messages or anything. Click the "Library" selection in the left column of the Reader to see that you got it okay, then click "e-store" if you want to go back to shopping.
  2. When you're done, you can close the Sony Reader software if you want. Or you can leave it open.

Getting your Sony e-books into Adobe Digital Editions:

1. Start up Adobe Digital Editions if it isn't already running.
  2. Click "Library>Add".
  3. Navigate to where Sony's Reader software stored your downloaded book. On Windows, it's in "My Documents>My Books>Reader Library" (or something like that, I'm going from memory). I don't know where it is on a Mac.
  4. Add the appropriate e-book(s).

Normal Adobe Digital Editions sideload:

1. Plug your nook into your computer if you haven't already. There should be a nook icon in the left column of ADE.
  2. Drag-and-drop your new e-book(s) to the nook icon. If this is the very first time you've put ADE content on your nook, it might ask if you want to authorize your nook. You do.
  3. When you're done, you can close Adobe Digital Editions if you want. Or you can leave it open.

Normal end of sideloading:

1. Eject your nook.
  2. Go to My Documents on your nook.
  3. Touch Check for New Content.
  4. If that fails to find your new e-book(s), turn the nook completely off (5-second power button press) and back on.

The original Doug_Pardee post I was looking for.

blemons
0 Kudos

Thanks, again gstone.

I definitely have some good information from these boards.

Now I just need to get my Nook so I can try it out!!! :smileyhappy:

Berit