Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Advantages of the Nook vs. the Public Library

There exists a myriad of reasons one can think of why owning a Nook is more advantageous than borrowing books from a library.  Can you think of one?

I will start the discussion off with my reason:  A Nook never observes a Holiday whereas the public library does and the Nook never has a closing time.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

Re: Advantages of the Nook vs. the Public Library

Why not use your Nook to access the Public Library? I borrowed an eBook on December 25 this year.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, juneau, perhaps I didn't clarify myself with my Discussion Thread.  Yes, of course, you can always have the advantage of downloading a library book to the Nook but I had in mind of those who do not want to give up reading on paper and insist on physcially going to a library to borrow books.  In other words, they do not approve of eBooks.

Reader 2
Queen-Mack
0 Kudos

Can someone please tell me how to borrow ebooks from a library or how to use the lendme program on my nook color?  There are so many books that I would love to read out there!  Thanks for your help!

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

They automatically return when due if you haven't returned them yet.  No dreaded late fees :smileysurprised:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Queen-Mack wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to borrow ebooks from a library or how to use the lendme program on my nook color?  There are so many books that I would love to read out there!  Thanks for your help!

FrogAlum's Guide to Library Books

Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

I'm sorry, juneau, perhaps I didn't clarify myself with my Discussion Thread.  Yes, of course, you can always have the advantage of downloading a library book to the Nook but I had in mind of those who do not want to give up reading on paper and insist on physcially going to a library to borrow books.  In other words, they do not approve of eBooks.

I gave a reason, even though I didn't understand the question: you can get eBooks when access to the physical books is impossible.

Another: it's far easier to carry a Nook than it is to carry eleventy physical books. Even my Kindle-toting friends agree with that one.

Frequent Contributor
BigmouthStrikesAgain
0 Kudos

Ebooks don't smell.  I have a big aversion to library books because of the smell and dusty grime that comes with them.

Correspondent
ladymis
0 Kudos

You don't have to brave the elements to buy/borrow another book! :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
juneau

Nobody knows what you're reading, so you can read books in public that you would otherwise find too embarrassing (self help/romance/Twilight/etc).

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't believe that most people "approve" or "disapprove" of e-books.  I just think people are just not aware of alternatives.

Prior to getting my Nook I haunted my local library.  I read way too much to be able to afford to buy all the books I want.  Now I still do basically the same thing AND I don't have to leave the house to do it!  Best of both worlds!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I thought of another advantage regarding the Nook vs. borrowing books from a public library, i.e., you don't have to worry about germs.  Someone could have just returned a book which you just picked up and that previous person was sick with the flu and those germs are hovering over that book.

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

My Nookbooks don't slide under the seats in the car, disappearing for weeks while accruing late fees.

My Nookbooks don't smell or have other people's food spills stuck in the pages.

My Nookbooks can be accessed anytime--no holds; no waiting.

Nookbooks all weigh the same.

Buying Nookbooks saves gas money and time.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

I thought of another advantage regarding the Nook vs. borrowing books from a public library, i.e., you don't have to worry about germs.  Someone could have just returned a book which you just picked up and that previous person was sick with the flu and those germs are hovering over that book.

Ummm, if you take your Nook out in public it will get germs... I always carry tissues with me in case my Nook starts sneezing.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Queen-Mack wrote:

Quick summary:

-You probably will have to be a member of a library that has eBooks available.

-You will need to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your computer to get the books from the library onto your Nook.  This is because of the DRM protection on the books.

This has been discussed in great length on the forum.  Enter "Library books" in the search bar

or go to this link:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/What-is-ADE/m-p/554574#M19864

Contributor
tecup
0 Kudos

I love the NookColor and love libraries.  Funny thing, though, when there are no more libraries where will you get your free ebooks?

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

tecup, you brought up an interesting point and something to ponder.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

When I used to borrow DTB's from the public library I was very conservative.  I'd only borrow books after I read through some of the pages and was 90% convinced the book would be something I'd like.  Also, I was never interested in taking out more than two or three books at a time.

With my Nook, I'm not able to read a book prior to taking it out so I rely on the blurb and the identity of the author.  As a result I'm more adventurous and reading more types of books than I ever have.  Some have not been to my taste but many have been very enjoyable.  Also, since e-books are so much easier to handle, I have no reluctance in borrowing as many books as I can find that suit me.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

tecup wrote:

I love the NookColor and love libraries.  Funny thing, though, when there are no more libraries where will you get your free ebooks?

I occasionally buy books from LibraryBIN.com.  You can direct a portion of the sale price to the library of your choice. 
From their How it Works page:
"Building Support for Public Libraries
When you purchase eBooks & digital audiobooks, the funds are credited to the participating public library of your choice!"

Correspondent
KnitKicky

Ummmm, I don't have to shovel my driveway to get to my Nook?  :smileyvery-happy: