Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
edhoel
0 Kudos

Alternate power supply

Is there and adapter that would allow the charging of the nook while in a car? This would be real handy during power outages.

I have noticed that there are kits that allow the charging of cell phones using a small set of solar panels. Has anyone figured out how to adapt this for the nook?

Frequent Contributor
LizJ70
0 Kudos

Re: Alternate power supply

My cell phone charger is the same end as my Nook Charger.  I use my cell phone charger to charge my Nook.  I assume that you can get a car charger for the cell phone and use it for your Nook in the car.  

Correspondent
htbyron

Nook uses a standard micro-usb charging port, so any car charger or solar charger with that type of plug should work.  They are quite common -- most recent cell phones use the same power plug.  To be safe, you should match the power output.  USB standard is 5V.  The power adapter included with the nook indicates an output of 5V at 0.85A (850mA).  That is a lower current than some USB chargers (which put out a full amp), but I believe some folks have used generic chargers with no bad outcomes.   Using a higher current could damage or reduce the lifetime of your battery, so I have stuck to 850mA chargers.

Inspired Contributor
TheRoadRunner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I use this Belkin part: with the USB cable that came with my Nook. It's rated at 1A (1000mAh) but the Nook only needs to put a maximum amp pull of 850mAh on it.

I've had zero problems with it or my Nook, sits flush with my dash and looks good too.

Cheers.

Cave ab homine unius libri: Beware of anyone who has just one book.
Frequent Contributor
CalicoPete
0 Kudos

You can buy a car adapter for a usb plugin. I know truckstops have them. You can probably find them at Best Buy. They work just like the two prong for nook but have the car power adapter end instead. Best part is you can use it to charge anything that uses usb for charging!
Oh and eh, ARRR!!!
Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

I got a little gimmich from my local dollar store - plugs into lighter socket and has 3 USB ports in it so you can charge phones, mp3 players, whatever. Nominal output is standard 5 volts, so as long as your device has a USB cable you can plug it in. Cost me a whole dollar!:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
rwillen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

edhoel wrote:

Is there and adapter that would allow the charging of the nook while in a car? This would be real handy during power outages.

I have noticed that there are kits that allow the charging of cell phones using a small set of solar panels. Has anyone figured out how to adapt this for the nook?

I use a Rocketfish charger from Best Buy. Works great.