Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Sailor_Harry
0 Kudos

Am I screwed?

So I got the wi-fi Nook in the mail yesterday and so far am extremly dissapointed, more-so with B&N. From the start, I did not know you needed Wi-Fi to register it. There is no Wi-Fi where I am. Second is the fact that you cannot purchase e-books with a foreign IP address. Third is the fact that since last night the touch screen works, however is completely blank. Last, (and this one is small, however is just an example of an "outstanding" product) the word "nook" at the top is not centered and crooked. I'm not mad or even complaining about the last one, I just find it ironic.

Thankfully I can get around the first two issues as I can... Excuse me, could still use it without registering and I had my girlfriend back in the States use my account to purchase the first five books I wanted. I then simply used the Nook program for my computer to transfer the e-books, via USB.

But now it's apparent that after two years, (I've been reading forum posts back from 2009), B&N can't fix there issues with the touch screen. Now, I'm a resonable guy and if I was back home and not on a six month deployment on the border of Pakistan, I would simply turn it in and ask for a replacement. But I'm on a six month deployment in Afghanistan.

My battery is 100%. I've held the power button for 10, 20, 30, even over 60 seconds, each time to restart and be welcomed to a blank touch-screen. I've taken the battery out, placed it back in... I've done pretty much everything that has been suggested. I'm not to familiar with reseting it and if anyone has come up with the secret trick of restoring it, (Lord knows there was time to discover one), I will quit complaining and start enjoying this thing.

My question, "Am I screwed?", is the fact that while the Fire Base I'm at accepts incoming mail and packages, there is no way of mailing anything back home other than letters. So while I'm sure B&N would suggest I simply send it back and then they would send me a working nook, it's just not possible. I cannot get a ride on a helo back to the big base to simply mail a package.

I should have gotten a Kindle or at least had the Nook mailed home first, but unfortunately B&N has books available that Kindle doesn't. I've already purchased $100 worth of books that I would like to read on something other than my computer.

A long post/rant that could be summerized to, "My t-screen is blank white, please help." I would like to stop ragging on my e-reader, actually use it, and stop fantasizing about taking it to the range and putting several rounds of 5.56 and 9mm through the damn thing.

The cover I got for it is nice....

New User
Sailor_Harry
0 Kudos

Re: Am I screwed?

After some lucky button guesses, I was able to pull up the settings screen and check the software. it's V 1.5.

Frequent Contributor
RobinDB
0 Kudos

If you had the kindle you still need wifi to register it and use it for the first time.

It has even more restrictions on.

I use the Nook in spain (in fact 2 my wife has one) no problem at all.

Only time do we connect to wifi is to set the clock, only done this twice in 6 months.

New User
Sailor_Harry
0 Kudos

There is no Wi-Fi where I am at, period. However, registering it has nothing to do with the blank touch-screen.

New User
Sailor_Harry
0 Kudos

Moved the topic to "Technical Support"

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Sailor_Harry wrote:

Moved the topic to "Technical Support"

Hopefully I've posted something helpful in the thread in the tech support section.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

Sailor_Harry,

Thank you for your service.  I hope that your problems get resolved.

Distinguished Correspondent
KindleMichelle
0 Kudos

If you get a WiFi only device, you need WiFi if you want to access that feature -- the same is true for the WiFi only version of Kindle. This is the only comment I'm in the position to make. :smileytongue:

“Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.”
~Oscar Wilde
New User
Sailor_Harry
0 Kudos

True. The Kindle also doesn't have a nice touch-screen....

Frequent Contributor
RobinDB
0 Kudos

Take off back.

remove battery for couple of minutes and replace.

expect it will spring back to life.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Sailor_Harry wrote:

So I got the wi-fi Nook in the mail yesterday and so far am extremly dissapointed, more-so with B&N. From the start, I did not know you needed Wi-Fi to register it. There is no Wi-Fi where I am. Second is the fact that you cannot purchase e-books with a foreign IP address. Third is the fact that since last night the touch screen works, however is completely blank. Last, (and this one is small, however is just an example of an "outstanding" product) the word "nook" at the top is not centered and crooked. I'm not mad or even complaining about the last one, I just find it ironic.

Thankfully I can get around the first two issues as I can... Excuse me, could still use it without registering and I had my girlfriend back in the States use my account to purchase the first five books I wanted. I then simply used the Nook program for my computer to transfer the e-books, via USB.

But now it's apparent that after two years, (I've been reading forum posts back from 2009), B&N can't fix there issues with the touch screen. Now, I'm a resonable guy and if I was back home and not on a six month deployment on the border of Pakistan, I would simply turn it in and ask for a replacement. But I'm on a six month deployment in Afghanistan.

My battery is 100%. I've held the power button for 10, 20, 30, even over 60 seconds, each time to restart and be welcomed to a blank touch-screen. I've taken the battery out, placed it back in... I've done pretty much everything that has been suggested. I'm not to familiar with reseting it and if anyone has come up with the secret trick of restoring it, (Lord knows there was time to discover one), I will quit complaining and start enjoying this thing.

My question, "Am I screwed?", is the fact that while the Fire Base I'm at accepts incoming mail and packages, there is no way of mailing anything back home other than letters. So while I'm sure B&N would suggest I simply send it back and then they would send me a working nook, it's just not possible. I cannot get a ride on a helo back to the big base to simply mail a package.

I should have gotten a Kindle or at least had the Nook mailed home first, but unfortunately B&N has books available that Kindle doesn't. I've already purchased $100 worth of books that I would like to read on something other than my computer.

A long post/rant that could be summerized to, "My t-screen is blank white, please help." I would like to stop ragging on my e-reader, actually use it, and stop fantasizing about taking it to the range and putting several rounds of 5.56 and 9mm through the damn thing.

The cover I got for it is nice....

If you're deployed overseas in the Military and you use your .mil email address on your account you should be able to buy books through the computer.   At least I'm assuming that's how you intended to purchase them since there's no WiFi.