Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

Amazon: We have 70-80 percent of e-book market

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20012381-82.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yet again Amazon/Kindle is in the face of consumers.  C'mon B&N - get out there too!

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon: We have 70-80 percent of e-book market

AllenR wrote:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20012381-82.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yet again Amazon/Kindle is in the face of consumers.  C'mon B&N - get out there too!

I have to say I am one of those who got tired at being offered a smaller selection at a higher average price, so I went out and bought a kindle.

All things equal, I prefer to read on the nook.  But if the book is not available, or if it is but a higher price, on the kindle it goes.

No reason why I can profit from their competition.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

B&N has far more ebooks than Amazon Trish.  No matter how you want to spin it.   Nice try tho...

Inspired Contributor
NomDePlumeIL
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

B&N has far more ebooks than Amazon Trish.  No matter how you want to spin it.   Nice try tho...

If Amazon has the books you want and B&N doesn't, then it doesn't really matter how many books B&N has. There are several books I want to read that Amazon has but B&N doesn't.  It doesn't mean I'm going to drop my nook and get a Kindle but facts are facts.  B&N still has a long way to go.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

For me, one place Amazon is FAR ahead is newspapers and magazines.  My local paper (St. Petersburg Times) is available on the Kindle and there are really only a handful available for nook.

I love my nook and hate Amazon's proprietary format, but with the costs coming down so quickly I can envision myself buying a Kindle so I have the 'best of both worlds' so to speak.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

NomDePlumeIL wrote:

If Amazon has the books you want and B&N doesn't, then it doesn't really matter how many books B&N has. There are several books I want to read that Amazon has but B&N doesn't.  It doesn't mean I'm going to drop my nook and get a Kindle but facts are facts.  B&N still has a long way to go.

The difference is more apparent than real.

I've had my Nook since January and, between B&N, Kobo, Fictionwise, Sony and other epub sources, I have yet to fail to get a book that I wanted that Amazon had, at a comparable price.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
chefclaire

ABthree wrote:

I've had my Nook since January and, between B&N, Kobo, Fictionwise, Sony and other epub sources, I have yet to fail to get a book that I wanted that Amazon had, at a comparable price.

I agree wholeheartedly. Once you factor in thatyou can get books from multiple sources, including public libraries, it's no contest. Nook beats kindle hands down.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

sygram wrote:

For me, one place Amazon is FAR ahead is newspapers and magazines.  My local paper (St. Petersburg Times) is available on the Kindle and there are really only a handful available for nook.

I love my nook and hate Amazon's proprietary format, but with the costs coming down so quickly I can envision myself buying a Kindle so I have the 'best of both worlds' so to speak.

Hey we have the same local paper (sorta)!

The Times does make a ebook format specifically for nook if you're a subscriber to the digital version of the paper, but it does require going to their website and manually sideloading it every day. It would definitely be nice if BN could get it as one of the available ones though the shop.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Shop?

Why not just let us download with the browser directly to My Documents, if, and only if, we have a MicroSD card so there is no risk of messing up the B&N book folders?

Only supported formats.  

Then LTCFWTM (Let the chips fall....)

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

A lot less development time would go into getting a contract with the Times to sell their e-edition in the Shop than coding for all the hoops necessary to do what you're suggesting.

Not that it's a bad idea.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I'm assuming you are stating this with a long career in programming to back it up?

Cuz I'm calling BS on you.

B&N developers had to COMMENT OUT code to prevent downloads using the standard Android browser.  (They didn't invent that browser you know its basically Google Chrome).

Uncommenting it would be a cinch. Restricting it to specific locations is nothing but a chroot jail, which Android makes frequent use of.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

I was not aware it would be that easy to reenable downloading.

I still doubt it's likely to happen any time in the foreseeable future though.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Does anyone really have to be #1?  I can't justify two e-readers and don't need extra gadgets lying around. 

There are probably more i-pods out there, yet I have a Sony mp3 player (it was fairly inexpensive) and some people have the Zune. 

Variety is good!  The Kindle and the Amazon tie-in is fine for many people - just not me.  What's great is that people are reading!

Since I like the option of purchasing elsewhere (I will buy from B&N first if the price is the same) if there's a cheaper price.  I really haven't seen cheaper prices from Amazon in what I read.  Besides that, I do use the library quite a bit for books. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

The difference here is that any mp3 player will play your MP3 files.

Nobody but Kindle will allow you to read your Amazon books.  That's what puts you in a head lock.

If Amazon is so confident of their number one position, let them license (for free) their lame DRM scheme to anyone who wants to make a reader that reads it.  Nobody is stopping them from using Epub.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

The difference here is that any mp3 player will play your MP3 files.

Nobody but Kindle will allow you to read your Amazon books.  That's what puts you in a head lock.

If Amazon is so confident of their number one position, let them license (for free) their lame DRM scheme to anyone who wants to make a reader that reads it.  Nobody is stopping them from using Epub.

This is no different than HD versus Blu-ray.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

This is no different than HD versus Blu-ray.

Its very different.

Those are two competing standards, (in the real world, only Blu Ray will survive), and you can buy a movie on a blu ray disk and play it on any number of different blu ray devices from 10 vendors.

Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

Amazon does have a lot more books in ebook format, than B&N, but the Nook has only been out for a year.  The Kindle has been out for 3 years. 

Frequent Contributor
Coaxial_Creature
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

You can get books from Fictionwise, and other sources on the net, for Kindle as well.   So, the overall spread may be comparable in general, as many sites that sell epub, also sell MOBI.  
However, if you're looking for the convenience of a click-buy-it's on your ereader (I'll often go for this rather than having to look everywhere, judge prices, then have to worry about sideloading), then having a bigger selection of books can matter. 
The other thing that Amazon has going for them, in my humble opinion, is coinstar.  For no fee, you can get an Amazon GC if you put in your old coins; that turns quite nicely into ebooks.    Unfortunately, I believe they have a deal with Borders, one that would most likely preclude them from having one with B&N.   That could drive more people to turn their coins into B&N GCs, that they could use on the online store for books.  

Bones: Once, just once I'd like to be able to land someplace and say: "Behold, I am the archangel Gabriel."
Spock: I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor.
Bones.: Naturally, you could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mr. Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork...
~Bread and Circuses
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Coaxial_Creature wrote:

The other thing that Amazon has going for them, in my humble opinion, is coinstar.  For no fee, you can get an Amazon GC if you put in your old coins; that turns quite nicely into ebooks.    Unfortunately, I believe they have a deal with Borders, one that would most likely preclude them from having one with B&N.   That could drive more people to turn their coins into B&N GCs, that they could use on the online store for books.  

What are you talking about?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+