Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Amazon beats B&N to Windows Phone 7

Kindle app is now available for Windows Phone 7.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kin_wp7_surl&docId=1000623751

B&N needs to hurry up with a NOOK app for this platform.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon beats B&N to Windows Phone 7

Why?  I don't know anyone who has one of those phones.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

sirwillard wrote:

Kindle app is now available for Windows Phone 7.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kin_wp7_surl&docId=1000623751

B&N needs to hurry up with a NOOK app for this platform.

And we care about this why?

---------
Don
Contributor
MrBlueEsq
0 Kudos

We care because, believe it or not, there are many of us out here who have Nooks and WP7 smartphones.  Add me to the list of people eagerly awaiting Nook's WP7 app, assuming, of course, that there is even one in the works...

Contributor
MrBlueEsq
0 Kudos

Also, the fact that Amazon is actively improving its product at a faster rate than B&N should be a cause for concern too.  I love the Nook and think its a better product than the Kindle overall, but it always seems like B&N is always trying to play catch-up on features.  With Amazon's support for new and increasingly popular platforms like WP7, and its development of new features like the previously exclusive to Nook lending feature, it shows that it cares about customers maybe a bit more than B&N. 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

[ Edited ]

MrBlueEsq wrote:

Also, the fact that Amazon is actively improving its product at a faster rate than B&N should be a cause for concern too.  I love the Nook and think its a better product than the Kindle overall, but it always seems like B&N is always trying to play catch-up on features.  With Amazon's support for new and increasingly popular platforms like WP7, and its development of new features like the previously exclusive to Nook lending feature, it shows that it cares about customers maybe a bit more than B&N. 

It cares more about it's customers because it is adding features that are ALREADY on the nook?

Sounds to me, like they're playing catchup.   Oh yea, and how about that Kindle color....neat hun?    What...they DON'T have a color kindle?

Gee...how about National Geographic on the Kindle....what...it doesn't exist?

Again...who is playing catchup?

True, nothing is static, but for the moment...seems to me, that B&N has MORE to offer than Amazon does.

MicroSoft claims to have sold 1 million W7 phones....but considering that MicroSoft doesn't actually sell phones....I would presume that means they've licensed W7 for 1 million phones.

Now, let me think....300 million people in the US.   Vast majority have cell phone.   1 million MIGHT have W7 phones.....that sounds like 1/3 of 1% might have W7 phones.

Boy...that's a hell of a market jump to go after!

Also, I've been reading eBooks for YEARS on palm's, Pocket PC's and Windows cell phones.   The nook...is FAR superior.  Either model.   THe phone's ONE advantage is it's small size, and that's also it's ONE huge dis-advantage...constant page flipping due the amount of text that fits, and is readable, on one page.

---------
Don
Contributor
MrBlueEsq
0 Kudos

Honestly, the NookColor doesn't impress me at all.  Maybe a jailbroken version . . . maybe...  But for an eReader, I much prefer the eInk display.  Now, if Nook were to come out with COLOR eInk, then we'd really be talking! :smileyhappy:  After fiddling with one, however, my impression is that B&N took a wrong turn there by making a tablet-that's-not-quite-a-tablet-but-not-quite-an-eReader device.

The "classic" Nook, however, is a great device, and I'd love to see more aggressive support and development on it.  For me, its best selling feature over the Kindle is its ability to read multiple formats from multiple sources.  Many of the other features added with the v1.5 upgrade were present on the Kindle first.  Nook used to be able to claim an exclusive with "Lend Me," but Kindle has that now too.  So much for that advantage.  But -- Nook still wins hands-down in the format and book source categories, which for me is a bigger deal than the lending feature (which I have never used). 

The issue with the WP7 app is maybe as much about perception as anything else.  WP7 has only been out a few months, but it's an increasingly popular platform that shows all indications of being around for the long haul.  It's selling at a faster clip than the original Android phones.  From my personal use experience, I much prefer it to both the iPhone and Android OS on phones out there.  Perfect?  No.  In fact, in some ways, WP7 and the Nook share a lot of commonalities, in that they are both playing "catch-up" with the current market leader. 

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MrBlueEsq wrote:

... it always seems like B&N is always trying to play catch-up on features.  ... and [Amazon's] development of new features like the previously exclusive to Nook lending feature, it shows that it cares about customers maybe a bit more than B&N.

Not to nit pick, but isn't that a contradiction? And where's Amazon's KindleColor? :smileywink:

Seriously, B&N and Amazon seem to be on overlapping but different paths to me. Amazon pioneers one direction, and B&N another.