Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

Amazon bloggers say we are nasty

Anybody read the recent post on the Kindle boards about how nasty and vicious the people here are.  The OP says that we are vicious and only in love with our Nooks.  I  think that person is confused with the Kindle boards.  Yes, some people here can be mean, but she seems to think that ALL the people on the Kindle boards are sweet.  Some of them can be extremely nasty.  I think she should get her facts straight because she is giving all of us a bad name.  And yes, I did post there saying how she should read through some of the posts there and see how vicious some of them are.  What does she expect, of course we love our Nooks.  They all state how they love their Kindles.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon bloggers say we are nasty

Since I don't own a Kindle I don't read the Kindle boards.  I barely have enough time to keep up with the products I own... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I haven't had my nook for very long but, during my short time here I noticed the only times people are what I would call nasty is because something posted something nasty to begin with like oh I hate my nook posts which my opinion on that is if you hate it so much stop whining and return it to the store. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

I do own both a Nook and Kindle.  I agree that Kindle posters can be very vicious if you post any negative comments about the Kindle. I've had my Kindle for about six months and only lasted on their boards for about a week. 

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930

Does anyone really care what Kindle bloggers think?

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

I read that post on Amazon and was startled when two posters said that the B&N Discussion Board is "dull."  I think the contrary.

It's a shame but there are going to be vicious posters on practically any Discussion Board. 

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Contributor
Pelican71

Sad to say I've noticed that on the Kindle boards. I've owned a K2i since Dec 09 until I gave it to my 13 yr old last month.  I've only owned my NOOKcolor for 3 weeks.  By the way, I like it a lot.

Before I received my NOOK I couldn't get over how some posters would be vilified if they suggested anything about the NOOK or that they had both.  Also if someone ask a question that has been asked before some posters can be snarky.  I really hate that we've gotten so nasty as people.  Maybe its easy to hide behind a computer.  No excuse.

I think there is room for both the NOOK & Kindle.  Thinking back to when techno reporters etc. didn't believe e-readers would last or make a difference, I'm just glad they were wrong.

There's nothing wrong with being brand loyal but there is no excuse to put other people down. 

Reading helps us develop empathy, imagination and a powerful vocabulary. That is why reading matters.
Reader 4
misschriss
0 Kudos

I own a Nook Color and read these boards for info but could care less if some Kindle people have an issue with what Nook people say on the boards. If you have a Kindle and love it then good for you and the same with Nook owners. I don't understand getting upset about what a stranger I will never meet thinks about the Nook or the Kindle.Or about the people who own them. Maybe I am old(39) and just don't get worked up about stuff:smileytongue:

Correspondent
tmpage
0 Kudos

I have posted on here several times and have had some people be just flat-out rude to me. I used to get mad about it, but I finally decided that they can't help it....they are just that way. There are plenty of other people on here who are nice and helpful. That being said, when i was researching Nook vs. Kindle, I browsed their boards too. They have the same mixture of people over there. IMO, that was the pot calling the kettle black. I love my Nook and I try to be nice to everyone on here. It's the Golden Rule!!
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

It is just the modern day equivilent of the Sharks and the Jets...

I suggest we can just have a rumble in the back alley and clear all this up once and for all

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Is 930 good for them?  I'm ready!

Both are good products... that's undeniable.  I prefer my nook over a big, oversized calculator.  Some prefer that big, oversized calculator.  And that's okay.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the kindle, the nook probably wouldn't be here today. 

But I do believe, for me, that the nook offers exactly what I wished was in a kindle and that is the reason I didn't buy a kindle.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Correspondent
Perry_Mason

If you were overcome with temporary insanity and bought a Kindle and then afterwards when your sanity returned you realized you had bought an 80's looking ereader that only let you buy books from Amazon and wouldn't let you read books from the library and worse yet, had a horrible dark gray screen you might just have a sour disposition too.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Forums tend in general to be mean unless a culture of niceness is deliberately promoted and maintained. I'm surprised on occasion at how snarky this board gets, but I'm as guilty as anyone because I like to come on here and rant when my Nook is acting up.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy::smileywink:
ellsbells930 wrote:

Does anyone really care what Kindle bloggers think?

That was my thought.

:smileyvery-happy::smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Bookie_Wookie
0 Kudos

Andromeda208 wrote:

Anybody read the recent post on the Kindle boards about how nasty and vicious the people here are.  The OP says that we are vicious and only in love with our Nooks.  I  think that person is confused with the Kindle boards.  Yes, some people here can be mean, but she seems to think that ALL the people on the Kindle boards are sweet.  Some of them can be extremely nasty.  I think she should get her facts straight because she is giving all of us a bad name.  And yes, I did post there saying how she should read through some of the posts there and see how vicious some of them are.  What does she expect, of course we love our Nooks.  They all state how they love their Kindles.

The original poster on the Amazon boards was talking about the treatment she personally recieved on this board.

She didn't compare the people on each board; both boards have some people that rake others over the coals and both boards have nice and courteous people.  That is the internet, you will find that on most communities.  She was talking about her personal experience.

Wordsmith
shilohMD

Pelican71 wrote:

Sad to say I've noticed that on the Kindle boards. I've owned a K2i since Dec 09 until I gave it to my 13 yr old last month.  I've only owned my NOOKcolor for 3 weeks.  By the way, I like it a lot.

Before I received my NOOK I couldn't get over how some posters would be vilified if they suggested anything about the NOOK or that they had both.  Also if someone ask a question that has been asked before some posters can be snarky.  I really hate that we've gotten so nasty as people.  Maybe its easy to hide behind a computer.  No excuse.

I think there is room for both the NOOK & Kindle.  Thinking back to when techno reporters etc. didn't believe e-readers would last or make a difference, I'm just glad they were wrong.

There's nothing wrong with being brand loyal but there is no excuse to put other people down. 

Reiterating another poster...if people come to the nook board seeking help ("I just got my nook, and I'm having trouble with...") the people on this board seem to go out of their way to be helpful and offer very comprehensive advice.

If, however, someone comes on with a "the nook sucks" message and proceeds to trash the nook, B&N, and anything other than the Kindle, they are only seeking to inflame.  They add no value to the board, and are not really seeking advice/support. 

They are TROLLS and are to be ignored.  Being nasty toi them in return for their one-time appearance is a waste of time and effort (even though one might feel better hitting back...)

Please note that they leave one post and never come back...so any replies are truly wasted.

They truly practice "seagull posting"...fly in, squawk a lot, s*** on things, and fly away... :smileyindifferent:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

[ Edited ]

I didn't read the thread on the Kindle boards this thread pertains to because I don't go to the Kindle boards.  Why would I?  I have a NOOK Classic and a NOOKcolor.  I don't have a Kindle, so I really don't care what they're talking about over there.

Everyone's personal experiences are different.  Some people have a great experience one place and a horrible experience someplace else.  That's just the way it goes.  There have been a few people in the last year who have come here and thanked us for being so nice to them and told us they received nasty treatment on the Kindle boards.

That's just the way the Internet goes.

I really don't know why some people are so possessive of the message boards they frequent.  There's no need to take things so seriously or personally.

Stop caring so much about what random strangers think.

Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492

If you post here because you need help, you won't find a nicer group of people.  If you post to be nasty, you reap what you sow.

That said, nasty Kindle posters can poop and touch it.

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

"...poop and touch it..."

that's a new one...but well said !! :smileyvery-happy:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Bookie_Wookie wrote:

The original poster on the Amazon boards was talking about the treatment she personally recieved on this board.

I don't have a Kindle so I don't read the Kindle boards, but I've seen enough posts here from Kindle owners that show definite troll-like tendencies.

I don't understand why they go to the trouble.  If she was just coming to a community of Nook owners to dump on the Nook, what was she expecting, roses? :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+