Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Re: Amazon bloggers say we are nasty

Perry_Mason wrote:

Commodore is back and they have just struck a deal to acquire the Amiga operating system.  They are bringing back the Commodore 64 and the Amiga's.  Google Commodore USA and take a look at their website.

If y'all could see the smile on my face because of this.  I had a Commodore 64.  My cousin had the 128.

We were the youngest (well my brother was younger than me, but pretending he doesn't exist just like I did when I was 10) of 40 cousins on one side and we were spoiled rotten.  His parents bought him the 128 for Christmas one year.  My parents were having some financial difficulty that year that the family knew about.  They knew that M & I were a bit competitive so one of the adult cousins bought a Commodore 64 for me.  I didn't even know it had come from her until many years later; she insisted that it be a gift from Mom & Dad as far as I was concerned.

Now I know why she was Dad's favorite niece.  (Of course when we've talked about it as adults she has told me that she did it because he was her favorite uncle and I was like the niece she didn't have yet.)

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

I had a Commodore 64 and I absolutely loved it. Now, who remembers the Infocom text games? Wish we could get them for the nook :smileywink:

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

If y'all could see the smile on my face because of this.  I had a Commodore 64.  My cousin had the 128.

We were the youngest (well my brother was younger than me, but pretending he doesn't exist just like I did when I was 10) of 40 cousins on one side and we were spoiled rotten.  His parents bought him the 128 for Christmas one year.  My parents were having some financial difficulty that year that the family knew about.  They knew that M & I were a bit competitive so one of the adult cousins bought a Commodore 64 for me.  I didn't even know it had come from her until many years later; she insisted that it be a gift from Mom & Dad as far as I was concerned.

Now I know why she was Dad's favorite niece.  (Of course when we've talked about it as adults she has told me that she did it because he was her favorite uncle and I was like the niece she didn't have yet.)

Ha! Were we separated at birth somehow? I seem to follow you around on threads nodding my head.  :smileyvery-happy: We had a Comodore 64, too. We were living overseas (military base) and were the only ones in the neighborhood with a computer. The other neighborhood kids used to come over to play games on it. We were pretty poor, but my dad traded something for it. My dad was big into bartering for things we couldn't afford. We had aquired our Atari the same way.

Fran

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Po1gara wrote:

I had a Commodore 64 and I absolutely loved it. Now, who remembers the Infocom text games? Wish we could get them for the nook :smileywink:

A Mind Forever Voyaging

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Trinity

Leather Goddesses of Lobos

To name a few.  I still have volumes 1 and 2 of the complete treasures-sets of all the infocom adventures

There is a bulldozer on your lawn.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deemure wrote:

Po1gara wrote:

A Mind Forever Voyaging

Trinity

To name a few.  I still have volumes 1 and 2 of the complete treasures-sets of all the infocom adventures

Those games really were fun! Of course half the fun was just figuring out what commands would be accepted to accomplish what you wanted to do LOL!  I also remember that the writers of some of those games were quite diabolical! There was one game (I think it was called Suspended) that I spent hours trying to figure out how to solve all the problems that cropped up till out of frustration I just concentrated on solving the first one...voila...game over, I won! My husband couldn't believe the things I had to say about THAT writer!:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Po1gara wrote:

deemure wrote:

Po1gara wrote:

A Mind Forever Voyaging

Trinity

Those games really were fun! Of course half the fun was just figuring out what commands would be accepted to accomplish what you wanted to do LOL!  I also remember that the writers of some of those games were quite diabolical! There was one game (I think it was called Suspended) that I spent hours trying to figure out how to solve all the problems that cropped up till out of frustration I just concentrated on solving the first one...voila...game over, I won! My husband couldn't believe the things I had to say about THAT writer!:smileyvery-happy:

Oops, I think it was Leather Goddesses of Phobos.  My mind is forever voyaging.

I kept getting hung up with the Babel Fish in Hitchhiker's Guide.  Kept forgetting to take the towel with me as well.  And I'd always get lost and get the response, "you can't go that way".

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

... she did it because he was her favorite uncle and I was like the niece she didn't have yet.)

Something about that last sentence just sounds wrong to me.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SlaughterS wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

... she did it because he was her favorite uncle and I was like the niece she didn't have yet.)

When you have 12 sets of aunts/uncles someone's the favorite.  :smileytongue:

I was ten and she was almost 30.  Because of that age difference, she felt more like I was "a niece", since her friends had nieces & nephews,  than a cousin.  (There's a "clump" of cousins within 5 years of her age.  She was an only child and didn't get a niece until her then fiance's younger sister had a baby much after the computer issue.)

(The oldest cousin is exactly the same age as the youngest uncle and I always called said cousin "Uncle" even though I understood that he wasn't Daddy's brother, but Daddy's sister's son.)

Distinguished Correspondent
jamartMF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya now I am dizzy LOL 

edited to add:  I know what you are saying.  My mom has eleven brothers and sisters.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

jamartMF wrote:

Ya_Ya now I am dizzy LOL 

:smileytongue:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

SlaughterS wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

As much as I may regret saying this, that last sentence was perfectly understandable to me...:smileywink:  I come from a very small family so I will live vicariously through the large families described here.

►Without order there is chaos◄