Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
conta
0 Kudos

Another Out-of-US nook st question

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I am currently of out US and I have some stuff to think about, and I think you guys can help me. Yes, I did read buch of posts about this topic in this forum. I have Nook simple touch

So here is the thing: I wanna buy book.

options:

option 1.

I have US bank account with US billing address

2. Can I make new purchases while traveling?

You can purchase books and periodicals while in the United States. You can only purchase digital content if you have a billing address in the United States. Once you have purchased a book or periodical, you can read it on your NOOK Simple Touch anywhere in the world.

This means I can buy from my nook as far as i use my US bank card? or I can buy from website and then download with wifi nook? (if i understood other forum posts right)
I prefer to do not use my US bank accout as I took my money out from it, so nothing in there now :smileyvery-happy:
option 2.
add my european card (account settings) and pay with that? (i mean from website, or nook)
is it possible, as my billing address wont be US?
option 3.
pay with paypal
On the Payment page, select PayPal as your method of payment. You will be redirected to PayPal's web site to confirm the financial details of the transaction. Once you confirm your payment via PayPal, you will return to Barnes & Noble.com to finish placing your order.

PayPal is a safe and easy way to make a secure online payment. It allows online shoppers to enter and store credit card and billing information in one place, thereby eliminating the need to store and update this information on multiple sites. 
with paypal i wanna use my european card. Anyway I never ever was buying nook book, so dont know how this paypal paying works - anyone having exprience?
Anyway, I can buy free books from my Nook and from Webpage, while being out of US
Thanks a lot!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Another Out-of-US nook st question

"2. Can I make new purchases while traveling?

You can purchase books and periodicals while in the United States. You can only purchase digital content if you have a billing address in the United States. Once you have purchased a book or periodical, you can read it on your NOOK Simple Touch anywhere in the world."
As long as a non-US IP address is detected, attempts to purchase will not go through.  That goes for free books, also.
If you have family/friends in the US, you can have them log onto your account and purchase for you, then you can download no matter where you are.
"Anyway, I can buy free books from my Nook and from Webpage, while being out of US
Thanks a lot!"
Have you actually succeeded in purchasing from outside of the US?
Contributor
conta
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

yes I am buying free books from nook, it works just fine... the same as i can buy from website, that's why i think I can buy non-free books if I use my US bank card

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

conta wrote:

yes I am buying free books from nook, it works just fine... the same as i can buy from website, that's why i think I can buy non-free books if I use my US bank card

B&N recently changed its policy.

If you have a US credit card you can buy e-books outside the US now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

conta wrote:

B&N recently changed its policy.

If you have a US credit card you can buy e-books outside the US now.

Thanks for the update, geertm.  I didn't realize there was a policy change.  That's good news.

Contributor
conta
0 Kudos

thanks, i guess i will have to get some funds on my US card...

and my wanna-do-trick with paypal wont work? anyone buying books for nook with paypal?

i guess I can give up using my european card and buying online via website

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

conta wrote:

thanks, i guess i will have to get some funds on my US card...

and my wanna-do-trick with paypal wont work? anyone buying books for nook with paypal?

i guess I can give up using my european card and buying online via website

I don't think you can set paypal as your default credit card or payment method, which is what is required to purchase NookBooks.  There's no option to select a payment type.  I just looked at it isn't listed. Which makes sense since the cc is used as part of the process to create the unlock key for the books.

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

yeah this new policy took place right before Halloween

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Contributor
conta
0 Kudos

lets hope they will let us use paypal soon..

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

conta wrote:

lets hope they will let us use paypal soon..

I really doubt it.  The copy-protection needs a credit card number to lock the file and tie it to a purchaser.

Paypal doesn't give that.

Contributor
conta
0 Kudos

okey,

i add some funds to my US card and all works :

i am at Slovakia [Europe] and my BN account is connected to my US card

buying from website: works

buying from nook: works