Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

 


frantastk wrote:

 

The other day he wanted to know if I had heard about this really cool thing called DOS? :smileyvery-happy: I tried to explain that that's what was around when I was a kid, but he didn't believe me.

 

Fran  


Show him the DOS prompt on your Windows machine:  confirm your status as a goddess in his eyes.

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

[ Edited ]

 


ABthree wrote:

 


frantastk wrote:

 

The other day he wanted to know if I had heard about this really cool thing called DOS? :smileyvery-happy: I tried to explain that that's what was around when I was a kid, but he didn't believe me.

 

Fran  


Show him the DOS prompt on your Windows machine:  confirm your status as a goddess in his eyes.

 


I wonder if the deltree command still works?

 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
Posts: 1,294
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

 


gqb wrote:

@frantastik

 

You feel old?  Your son needs to see a keypunch machine, a Hollerith card, and an IBM 360.:smileyhappy:


I remember upgrading to an IBM System 3. No monitor, no tape drive, all card fed. It used 96-column cards instead of 80-column. That was a huge improvement.:smileyvery-happy:

 

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

 


JohnP51 wrote:

 


gqb wrote:

@frantastik

 

You feel old?  Your son needs to see a keypunch machine, a Hollerith card, and an IBM 360.:smileyhappy:


I remember upgrading to an IBM System 3. No monitor, no tape drive, all card fed. It used 96-column cards instead of 80-column. That was a huge improvement.:smileyvery-happy:

 


So John, what WAS dirt really like when it was first invented?  Have there been any improvements since?  :smileyvery-happy:

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
Posts: 725
Registered: ‎08-13-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

 


ABthree wrote:

 


So John, what WAS dirt really like when it was first invented?  Have there been any improvements since?  :smileyvery-happy:

 


:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

 

 

Although I guess I shouldn't laugh too much - I remember the IBM360 and punch cards too!!!!  Ahhh . . .  to be young again . . .

 

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
Posts: 1,294
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

 


ABthree wrote:

 


JohnP51 wrote:

 


gqb wrote:

@frantastik

 

You feel old?  Your son needs to see a keypunch machine, a Hollerith card, and an IBM 360.:smileyhappy:


I remember upgrading to an IBM System 3. No monitor, no tape drive, all card fed. It used 96-column cards instead of 80-column. That was a huge improvement.:smileyvery-happy:

 


So John, what WAS dirt really like when it was first invented?  Have there been any improvements since?  :smileyvery-happy:

 


Dirt didn't come along until much later. I'm older than the rock that made dirt.:smileyvery-happy:

 

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
sb3312
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎03-06-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

My problem has not been my husband but my 13 year old daughter! She has kidnapped my nook several times now and I have to go asking for it back! I love that she loves to read but I'm thinking we are soon going to be a 2-nook family! Who knew? LOL

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

@sb3312

 

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

 

And good luck with that.  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!

NOOKnapping is a serious issue.  I have yet to see a single ransom demand made or a single NOOK returned.  I think you're just going to have to give yourself some time to mourn and then get a new one.  Obviously, your original NOOK cannot be replaced, but a new one can also hold a special place in your heart in time.  :smileywink:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
Posts: 1,523
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Another big problem with my nook!


JohnP51 wrote:

 


gqb wrote:

@frantastik

 

You feel old?  Your son needs to see a keypunch machine, a Hollerith card, and an IBM 360.:smileyhappy:


I remember upgrading to an IBM System 3. No monitor, no tape drive, all card fed. It used 96-column cards instead of 80-column. That was a huge improvement.:smileyvery-happy:

 


96 column cards?  If we'd had those in the beginning maybe we could have had 8 digit dates and nobody would have worried about Y2K!