Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bambi10
0 Kudos

Any News on Nook 2 "Project Encore"

Now that the first rumor about nook with wi-fi only has come out..... 

Does anyone have any updated news about the nook 2 being made called project encore. 

I really want to purchase a nook especially with these lower prices, which I think is great.

But I have read that the nook 2 "project encore" may have color and reading in landscape, among several other options.

Just don't want to jump the gun and purchase the nook if the nook 2 is coming out in a few months.

Any news or suggestions?

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Re: Any News on Nook 2 "Project Encore"

Nope no news.  I just google it and came up with nothing but the speculation from back in April.  Just an FYI the "color" eInk screen from E-Ink that is a prototype isn't ful color yet as seen at G8 two weeks ago.  So I doubt any commercial eReader will have a color screen for at least another year!

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Re: Any News on Nook 2 "Project Encore"

[ Edited ]

Until we can compare I can't give a final opinion, but based on what we've seen so far I don't think color eInk is the way to go. I think Mirasol displays will kill eInk, and it's reported we'll see these out this year.

http://besttabletreview.com/qualcomm-announces-mirasol-ereader-for-fall-of-2010/

Basically, Mirasol is the best of both worlds. Resolution and refresh rates capable of displaying full motion video, but not using "projected light" i.e. it will be viewable in all of the same lighting scenarios that eInk excels in.

Edit: Youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmURsmFTUE

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf