Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

Re: Good Case for Fast Admin Intervention

ShazInNV wrote:

MegSLP wrote:

schatzieWI wrote:
To meg, military mail is sent to an address in the states. The military forwards the mail to our soldiers in combat. I can mail a big box to a serviceman in a priority mail box for less than it would cost to send it to you.

No, it is sent to an APO/FPO address.  It is shipped via USPS to New York where the Navy then picks it up.  The zip code on it is the designator for where APO/FPO goes. 

I'm very familiar with the process.  My husband is a logistics officer who has been deployed multiple times.

I think the point is that it costs no more to send a new Nook to this serviceman than it does to send one to me.

Like Meg I sent a large box with about 20 paperbacks in it via book rate to NY.  That's all I paid postage for was book rate to NY.

The problem comes in more so that it is still considered international shipping in terms of needing a customs form.  Yes, you can ship in a flat rate priority box for the same rate (even discounted on one box) HOWEVER, you have to have the customs form.

Honestly, I wouldn't want B&N to ship a replacement NOOK to my husband anyways considering the problems that the soldiers have with their mail being stolen.  Anything that is identified by box or customs form as being a tech gadget is usually stolen.

Reader 4
DG2007
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You couldn't be more right Meg.  MANY companies DO NOT ship to APO addresses.  My brother has been deployed 4 times to Iraq and I can't tell you how many companies wouldn't ship to him.  I was always excited to find ones that would.  

Sure it may not cost more to ship to an APO since it "just goes to NY" but it does require custom forms.  It's not as simple as BN mailing me a package in AZ.  Give me a break.  

Reader 4
DG2007
0 Kudos

MegSLP wrote:

ShazInNV wrote:

MegSLP wrote:

schatzieWI wrote:
To meg, military mail is sent to an address in the states. The military forwards the mail to our soldiers in combat. I can mail a big box to a serviceman in a priority mail box for less than it would cost to send it to you.

No, it is sent to an APO/FPO address.  It is shipped via USPS to New York where the Navy then picks it up.  The zip code on it is the designator for where APO/FPO goes. 

I'm very familiar with the process.  My husband is a logistics officer who has been deployed multiple times.

I think the point is that it costs no more to send a new Nook to this serviceman than it does to send one to me.

Like Meg I sent a large box with about 20 paperbacks in it via book rate to NY.  That's all I paid postage for was book rate to NY.

The problem comes in more so that it is still considered international shipping in terms of needing a customs form.  Yes, you can ship in a flat rate priority box for the same rate (even discounted on one box) HOWEVER, you have to have the customs form.

Honestly, I wouldn't want B&N to ship a replacement NOOK to my husband anyways considering the problems that the soldiers have with their mail being stolen.  Anything that is identified by box or customs form as being a tech gadget is usually stolen.

Seriously!  Just the other day I heard another Army wife complaining of her husband's packages being stolen or items missing when he received them.  It happens FAR too often sadly. 

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

First off, thank you for serving.

Second, Im sorry but I don't think there is very much that can be done, B and N can't really ship it overseas because that would be a lot of extra money for you and them plus it would have to go through costums and of course there would be almost no way to verify that you got it.

Sorry but i do hope the moderator has different news.

I hope you have a safe return when you return

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Contributor
skoon
0 Kudos

Me again.  I am working the problem now with B&N, so thanks to Andy_T for helping with that.

Yeah, shipping here I knew may be a problem, just like me being able to ship mine back would be a problem.  I understand all of this.  I just wanted someone to say, "wait, this is an issue, what can we do to resolve it."  Instead the guy on the other end of the phone basically didn't try to find another solution.  He was so focused on the fact that they couldn't ship to Iraq he didn't stop and think, "wait, this guy still has a busted NOOK that is under warranty and due to circumstances beyond his control he cannot get it exchanged/fixed/returned."

Thanks for all the support and concern and assistance.  I'll keep you all updated when/if the issue gets resolved.

Frequent Contributor
nannyto1
0 Kudos

skoon wrote:

Me again.  I am working the problem now with B&N, so thanks to Andy_T for helping with that.

Yeah, shipping here I knew may be a problem, just like me being able to ship mine back would be a problem.  I understand all of this.  I just wanted someone to say, "wait, this is an issue, what can we do to resolve it."  Instead the guy on the other end of the phone basically didn't try to find another solution.  He was so focused on the fact that they couldn't ship to Iraq he didn't stop and think, "wait, this guy still has a busted NOOK that is under warranty and due to circumstances beyond his control he cannot get it exchanged/fixed/returned."

Thanks for all the support and concern and assistance.  I'll keep you all updated when/if the issue gets resolved.

Thank you for serving your country. Please be careful. I hope B & N gets this worked out to your satisfaction...

gabourele
0 Kudos

Hey everyone sorry I didn't reply back since my first post and my bad for not reading skoon's post properly and my misspelling of "extension" Long day at work... And thank you skoon one of my fellow employees is in the army right now  too and he also said it is hard sending items like this overseas due to customs etc. and again thank you for everything you all are doing for us out there. okay time for bed I have to teach a nook class in the morning night all.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I hope they get it all worked out for you, Skoon. I also hope you have a quick, easy, safe deployment and are back in the states safe and sound soon.

And thanks to Andy_T for helping you out :smileyhappy:

PBReilley
0 Kudos

skoon wrote:

Yeah, shipping here I knew may be a problem, just like me being able to ship mine back would be a problem.  I understand all of this.  I just wanted someone to say, "wait, this is an issue, what can we do to resolve it."  Instead the guy on the other end of the phone basically didn't try to find another solution.  

Yes, CS can be iffy, and it makes matters worse when you get the brush-off. Thank, Andy_T for steppng in.

Skoon, thank you for your service.Come home safe.

Contributor
skoon
0 Kudos

So, I got an e-mail originally from their management team asking some follow-up questions.  I answered the questions and this is the next response I got:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing to us about your Barnes & Noble order. We've
strengthened our order inquiry policy to further protect the privacy and
security needs of our customers.

Before we can send our answer to you, we need your order number, which
you can find in the subject line of your order confirmation email or
shipping confirmation email.

If you no longer have your order number, one of the following pieces of
information will be helpful:
-The last 4 digits of the credit card used on the order, or
-Your billing address AND the title of one of your items.

We also need the email address you used to place your order if it is
different than the one you are using to respond to this email. (If you
reply to this email from another email address, please include your
original inquiry.)

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. If you would
like assistance by phone from one of our Customer Service
Representatives, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665). If you
are outside the United States, please call 201-559-3882.

Visit www.bn.com and click on the options that appear in the upper
right-hand corner to view information about your order.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Charlene
Customer Service Representative

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

Re: Are you for real B&N?

[ Edited ]

@skoon

Sent a PM with that information indicated earlier in this thread.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

This is the same email I've received any time I contacted B&N,  even when I included all that information ahead of time knowing what was coming.   They never get back to you, or if they do they'll give you some kind of canned response that likely will not address your problem.

The only way I've ever gotten anywhere is to call,  though that's not always a pleasant experience either, depending on wait times and English speaking ability of your rep.

Linda

skoon wrote:

So, I got an e-mail originally from their management team asking some follow-up questions.  I answered the questions and this is the next response I got:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for writing to us about your Barnes & Noble order. We've
strengthened our order inquiry policy to further protect the privacy and
security needs of our customers.

Before we can send our answer to you, we need your order number, which
you can find in the subject line of your order confirmation email or
shipping confirmation email.

If you no longer have your order number, one of the following pieces of
information will be helpful:
-The last 4 digits of the credit card used on the order, or
-Your billing address AND the title of one of your items.

We also need the email address you used to place your order if it is
different than the one you are using to respond to this email. (If you
reply to this email from another email address, please include your
original inquiry.)

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. If you would
like assistance by phone from one of our Customer Service
Representatives, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665). If you
are outside the United States, please call 201-559-3882.

Visit www.bn.com and click on the options that appear in the upper
right-hand corner to view information about your order.

We look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Charlene
Customer Service Representative

MegSLP
0 Kudos

I am so sorry that this is taking so long for you to get worked out.  I know you said you were at a small outpost so you probably aren't able to call (questionable on whether or not you have a MWR plus restrictions on how long you can be on the phone). 

Is there anybody at home that would be able to help you out with this?  If not, would the FRG be able to assist?  I was FRG leader for a bit and we did help out with stuff like this for our single soldiers.

Contributor
skoon
0 Kudos

It would appear things are working out.  However I think some lines got crossed and I may end up getting two replacements.  I received a notice that my replacement was being shipped to my billing address (along with a tracking number) and to send my broken NOOK back as soon as I got back to the states.  But then I got an e-mail from Megan who Andy_T referred me to and she asked for my APO address so they could ship my replacement NOOK ASAP.  I told her the situation so they wouldn't send me two.  But either way B&N is taking care of the problem.

Thank you all for your support and help.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Thank you for your service.

I'm glad things seem to be working out.  I hope your replacement gets to you quickly.  Please let us know when it does.