Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
pennylanec
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Customer Service Complaints

I ordered a Nook online for my daughter's birthday on a Monday to ship 3 day select.  Her Birthday was on Thursday, so that should work.  I received an email on Monday saying that the order had shipped out.  On Friday, I still had not received it (after her birthday), so I clicked on the tracking information.  It said the label was printed and that was it, so I called ups and they stated they never received the package for shipping.  This is bad enough, but what happened when I tried to call customer service was even worse.  I waited on hold 10 minutes, a nice man came on and asked me all of my information and then told me that it shipped, i said it didn't , he transferred me to someone else.  I told this man the whole story - which took 12 minutes and then he said he couldn't help me and had to transfer me, then I was disconnected.  I then called back and waited on hold 10 minutes, was disconnected without ever talking to anyone.  Called back AGAIN, on hold for 7 minutes and finally talked to a man who told me it shipped - i said "it didn't" please give me a refund. 

As a consequence of this : My daughter did not receive her gift on her birthday, even though I ordered special shipping so that I would have it on time.  I lost 1 hour of time from work.  I became frustrated and upset.  I now have to drive an hour away on a Friday evening before a holiday weekend and will have to deal with traffic (make that 2 hours away!) to purchase one today so that I can give my daughter her gift a day late.  It looks to my daughter like I did not value her birthday enough to make sure I got her gift on time.

They deleted my negative fb comment a few minutes after I posted it, but they can't delete everything!  B&N please pay attention!  You have some AMAZING products and employees.  Why Why Why Why mess it up with horrid customer service and policies? 

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

pennylanec wrote:

They deleted my negative fb comment a few minutes after I posted it, but they can't delete everything!  B&N please pay attention!  You have some AMAZING products and employees.  Why Why Why Why mess it up with horrid customer service and policies? 

I'm totally with you here,  I love my Nook but customer service has always been B&N's weak point.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

There are two types of Customer Service at B&N. CS at the stores is of supreme quality: attentive, knowledgeable assistants are always ready to help with book-related questions or concerns and to provide good supprt for both Nook and Nook Color. However, telephone CS is a different story. Offshore customer service is B&N'"weakest link."
Lector GS
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Unfortunately the customer service dept has nothing to do with the warehouse which is where your nook would have shipped from. The 3 day shipping is for when the product is ready to ship not from when you placed the order. I don't know how BN's shipping procedures work but the label was probably processed then had to get transferred to another dept which physically prepares the boxes/shipments for the labels. I've had this issue multiple times with multiple vendors where it shows as shipped but the tracking isn't actually valid for a few days. It is also possible that someone at UPS failed to scan the package when it shipped and it may show up tomorrow. Yes, they are supposed to scan along every stop on the route but packages do get missed during scanning especially when their drivers and pre-loaders are being expected to do 10 hours of work in less than 8 to make management look good.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I had a computer delivered before the vendor showed it as shipped and before UPS ever showed it in there system.

I have an outstanding order with Amazon.  USPS says it was delivered on Saturday, but it is being delivered to my office and both my office and the entire building are closed on the weekends, so I'll be curious to see what happens tomorrow when I get to work.

In any even, the customer service people are only going to be able to tell you what's in the system and the UPS customer service can only tell you what's in their system, and as the pp said, everything is supposed to be scanned by the shipping company.  Do some things get missed, I would suppose so.

Contributor
fanmynook

I also was on hold for a very short length of time on 2 different calls, and I was told my Nook would be replaced....all in the space of very little time! No arguement, no headache.

New User
bookreadersb

I have a color Nook from Barnes and Noble. I discovered that four of my ebooks were missing off the tablet. I went to the e-library on the B&N website and found the receipts of purchase there. I called their 800 number and explained that the books got dropped and would like them re-loaded. I was told that they were deleted and that they could not be replaced. I did not delete them nor did anyone have access to my tablet to delete them. I've talked to several persons from B&N including the store where I purchased the Nook and they all tell me the same thing that I would have to repurchase the books.
The first book I noticed missing three days after I was at the B&N store Friday evening June 15, where I was on their wifi to download a free book, I had just been reading that book and know that it was on my Nook. Since this book was dropped I check out my Nook library and found three more books missing. The B&N person on the 800 Number said that was impossible since it shows having been deleted two days before. He was very firm about his records reguardless of my having a witness to having had the book. I have been on the B&N Forum and have seen that others have had this same issue. This issue is bigger than myself and B&N needs to address this instead of being dismissive.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

bookreadersb wrote:

I have a color Nook from Barnes and Noble. I discovered that four of my ebooks were missing off the tablet. I went to the e-library on the B&N website and found the receipts of purchase there. I called their 800 number and explained that the books got dropped and would like them re-loaded. I was told that they were deleted and that they could not be replaced. I did not delete them nor did anyone have access to my tablet to delete them. I've talked to several persons from B&N including the store where I purchased the Nook and they all tell me the same thing that I would have to repurchase the books.
The first book I noticed missing three days after I was at the B&N store Friday evening June 15, where I was on their wifi to download a free book, I had just been reading that book and know that it was on my Nook. Since this book was dropped I check out my Nook library and found three more books missing. The B&N person on the 800 Number said that was impossible since it shows having been deleted two days before. He was very firm about his records reguardless of my having a witness to having had the book. I have been on the B&N Forum and have seen that others have had this same issue. This issue is bigger than myself and B&N needs to address this instead of being dismissive.

I'm not clear on why B&N has this policy, other than to avoid lots of people deleting stuff and then asking it to be reinstated.  If you have a record of the sale, and B&N has a record of the sale, then you've paid for the license of the book.  So if the book isn't in your account, and you want it added, I can't see any reason that they shouldn't be able to add it.

That said, before you do anything else, please, back up all your books.

Now, on to your problem.  Does anyone else have access to the account?  If so, is it possible that this other person doesn't realize that deleting is a permanent thing and that it affects the account as a whole?

New User
DGee
0 Kudos

The factors ARE NOT EXAGGERATED. I have wasted countless hours trying to resolve a problem that should have taken 5 minutes to resolve by any normal company's service department. The company is having serious financial problems and it is clear to me as to why, they do not have a CLUE as to how customer service works. They are going down in flames and I am adding my gasoline to speed it up.
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DGee wrote:
The factors ARE NOT EXAGGERATED. I have wasted countless hours trying to resolve a problem that should have taken 5 minutes to resolve by any normal company's service department. The company is having serious financial problems and it is clear to me as to why, they do not have a CLUE as to how customer service works. They are going down in flames and I am adding my gasoline to speed it up.

DGee, let's not forget that B&N is a company that employs thousands of people nationwide who depend on their jobs to survive.  It's quite insensitive for you to say that you are "...adding my gasoline to speed it (B&N's demise) up."  What's your problem?  

If for some reason you don't like B&N, do what others do... become a brain-washed amazon customer.  That will solve your dilemma.  Just be careful if you ever feel the need to criticize them.  The amazon discussion forums only accept positive input, something you may not be very good at.

Lector GS
New User
gemniwmn
0 Kudos

For Christmas, I bought my mother a gift card. I have the receipt. They took the card to their local B&N store on January 17, to have the credit applied to their ebook account. The clerk said there was nothing on it. Despite credit that should be on their account, their VISA is being charged in the amounts B&N claims were applied to the gift card. The rep originally said the first charge was online in December. They sat on it until January 17. Why is their VISA being charged the same charges as the gift card. The first rep I spoke to said it never had anything on it. If that's the case, then, someone explain how the second rep said there were charges?

To their credit, I waited a total of 10 minutes for two calls to be picked up.

To their detriment, three reps didn't listen and kept repeating the same nonsense. is there no one at B&N who is proud enough of who they work for to want to correct what seems to be a big problem with their billing? I work for the feds. If someone comes to me and says something isn't right, I'll dig as deeply as necessary to resolve the issue. Think the feds don't care? We're govened by various regulations and you can always contact your congressperson to get someone to answer. Private sector? Not so much.

Contributor
Eldritch_
0 Kudos

I'm just glad my 1st Gen Nook still works and makes transactions like it's supposed to. Apparently I'm one of the lucky ones. The only problems I've had with my Nook are low battery life and some trouble with the password entry. I bought a good third party extended battery, and an online chat rep helped me right out with the password issue. It sucks that "The Daily" is not updated anymore, but whatever. At least I still have 3G store access. And that's remarkable, considering how long these devices have been out of production. I wish all hardware manufacturers would support their legacy devices like this.