Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
shilohMD

B&N Customer Service Complaints

Like everyone here, I've seen way too many complaints about B&N customer service.  The level of frustration is evident, and (assuming the postings are accurate) justified.

I (like most everyone) have had little/no issues that require CS intervention.  At this point, I am thanking my lucky stars that I've escaped that telephone hell -- and my expectations -- never high for (usually off-shored) CSRs -- have been appropriately adjusted.

I feel the pain for all these people -- but I am powerless to help.  The long-time denizens of this Board have gone above and beyond to help these folk, but they all seem to be at the mercy of CSRs who are (a) inept; (b) uncaring; (c) lying; (d) some combination of some/all of the above. 

I perceive that there are some people who actually work for B&N here on the Board.  It is imperative that someone intervenes and helps to escalate and resolve these issues.

It would also be helpful if a B&Ner would post something about the preferred CS route to take for certain issues:

• billing issues (CC and GC concerns)
  • system issues ("B&N servers are down")
  • hardware issues/replacements (screen/battery/bezel/etc.)

And for each class of issue:

• is email better than phone?
  • is local B&N store better than phone/email?
  • what is escalation procedure?

It's obvious that B&N CS is alienating a lot of new Nook users (and probably scaring away many potential users).  It's also obvious that B&N CSRs are ill-prepared and/or unqualified to assist, and seem to be just blowing people off.  This should be a concern to B&N (hello? any reply from B&N people?)

It's also obvious that this Board is the best place to come for advice/assistance about using the Nook.  But that's of little value to users who can't get past the basic issues -- that are all the responsibility of B&N -- that prevent them from even starting to use the Nook.

Unless and until B&N does something to resolve these basic issues, this Board will continue to be plagued by frustrated posters venting about those issues to those of us whose response is limited to empathy and bewilderment.

Come on, B&N!! The Nook is a good product, and B&N is a good bookseller.  Get your act together!!

[putting away soapbox]

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Customer Service Complaints

Amen.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Well said Shiloh!

Of course you need to factor in exaggeration as well.  I'm not saying "all" but I suspect "some" of the situation descriptions we are seeing here are slightly exaggerated in order to get a response.  That is just my thought though.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Well said Shiloh!

Of course you need to factor in exaggeration as well.  I'm not saying "all" but I suspect "some" of the situation descriptions we are seeing here are slightly exaggerated in order to get a response.  That is just my thought though.

No doubt there are some drama queens (and kings...).  And of course, we (almost)  never hear stories about how well CSRs perform. 

That said, the forte of this Board is problem-solving, and there is little that we can do (other than issue a sigh of relief) when a poster does relate good news...but it does give hope.

I just don't understand the deafening silence from anyone wearing a B&N tie (or  T-shirt or ball cap...).

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

My guess is they are being extremely picky as to where to get involved.  Once you touch it you own it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

I just don't understand the deafening silence from anyone wearing a B&N tie (or  T-shirt or ball cap...).

Especially since prior to the NookColor release if anyone had any issues posted here, someone from BN was all over it almost immediately.  

I think they were truly underprepared for the Nook Color release, the nook 1.5 update and Christmas.  Now, they aren't quite sure how to put it back together. 

Contributor
Jekomo
0 Kudos

I am so frustrated with my Nook classic at this point. I really, really love it when it works, but it's getting to the point now where I open it up to read and am GLAD that it is not frozen. I keep having to take it apart, unscrew the battery, start it up again, put battery back in, wait, etc. It's so frustrating when I'm cozy and ready for bed and just want to read, and then it's frozen.

They ARE sending me a new battery, so hopefully that resolves the issue, but I'm not convinced it's going to do the trick.

I also really hope that they resolve some of these issues, because like I said, I love my Nook and I just really want it to work properly.

By the way, it's less than a month old...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

ellsbells930 wrote:

Especially since prior to the NookColor release if anyone had any issues posted here, someone from BN was all over it almost immediately.  

I think they were truly underprepared for the Nook Color release, the nook 1.5 update and Christmas.  Now, they aren't quite sure how to put it back together. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  I don't think that they're picking and choosing issues -- two months ago, Michael-V would have been all over the stuff we've been seing lately, and probably will be again someday.  I think that they're just overwhelmed.

There was a similar (but less intense) wave of problems when the Nook Classic was new; eventually, things calmed down.  B&N apparently anticipated some of the NookColor hoo-hah by lining up additional offshore resources, but that backfired, as that "solution" is apt to do. 

The new twist is the ongoing difficulty in getting the billing right.  Unhappy customers are a big problem, but when you can't book the sales that you're making, that's an all-hands-on-deck crisis.  :smileysurprised:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Well said Shiloh!

Agreed. For instance, just a week or so ago I called CS and was on hold for no more than 5 minutes or so on each of two calls in one day. From reading these boards you would think NO ONE gets through in less than 30 minutes. 

LisaB

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

The new twist is the ongoing difficulty in getting the billing right.

Seen from the outside (which is all I can see), BN.com must be in total panic mode. Billing isn't working. PubIt! reporting isn't working which makes PubIt! authors worry if they're going to get paid or not. Customers are ending up with failed-purchase e-books in their accounts that they can't download, can't delete, and can't replace. Customers are buying e-books and then not being able to download them. The search engine is mostly running again but the updates are way behind, and EvilReads is poking fun at the results coming out of B&N search.

Who'd have imagined that Christmas Day would be so busy? Well, maybe if they remembered what happened last year, when BN.com was virtually down solid until the 27th. Maybe if they took a look at how many NOOKs and NOOKcolors they'd sold and how many were already registered, meaning the rest were probably Christmas presents. Maybe if they took a look at sales trends in e-books. Maybe if they'd noticed that BN.com was already wobbling under the strain of the NOOKcolor introduction.

Man, I can hardly wait to see what happens next Christmas!

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

I've been having a problem with a NOOKbook for the past month and no one in customer service has an answer for me or has done anything about it.  I bought a book bundle and the formatting is out of whack.  So I asked them to resend me a newly formatted version of this NOOKbook because the one I have is a piece of junk (won't operate properly on computer, nook, ipod touch, etc.).  So now this book sits in my archive because it is useless and I'm out the $15 I paid for it.

ABthree
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Man, I can hardly wait to see what happens next Christmas!

ROFLMAO!  At least this time, they have a whole year to prepare.
Oh, wait -- they had a whole year to prepare last time, too.  Cold comfort, then, and I don't just mean the weather. :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I will say to the original poster that if his/her whole perception of the BN customer service experience is based pretty much just on the posts on this forum, then have they really seen total picture.  Heck, they stated they have not even ever called them themselves.  

Maybe they are great, maybe they suck - has anyone else actually dealt with B&N CS?  are they that bad? 

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

Maybe they are great, maybe they suck - has anyone else actually dealt with B&N CS?  are they that bad? 

Heh, heh. Well since folks have a habit of posting in the wrong forum and the link on the support page of the B&N website dumps them in the wrong forum ... just go to the main forum page and do a search on "customer service" or "billing." Hope you have a lot of time to hit that "next page" link.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

yikes.  that is a shame then if that is true.  I will just cross my fingers my nook keeps working as well as it does, which so far has been flawlessly

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

MaleficentIL wrote:

I've been having a problem with a NOOKbook for the past month and no one in customer service has an answer for me or has done anything about it.  I bought a book bundle and the formatting is out of whack.  So I asked them to resend me a newly formatted version of this NOOKbook because the one I have is a piece of junk (won't operate properly on computer, nook, ipod touch, etc.).  So now this book sits in my archive because it is useless and I'm out the $15 I paid for it.

@MaleficentIL,

B&N does not make the eBooks, they only sell them. It is not in their power to send you a reformatted version of the book.  If you choose to keep it in your library, you will receive the new version if the publisher ever updates it.

If I were you I would request B&N delete the book and give me a refund for it.

They might try to tell you that eBook sales are final, however that does NOT apply to defective eBooks. Be insistent and you will get your refund.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I think the comment above about the file format being junky is an interesting conversation.  In a way that isn't much different then going into a real bookstore, buying a book, then getting to page 40 and seeing pages are not printed correctly, pages missing, smeared etc.  you would think in that case you would be able to go back and get a refund.

if you bought a product and that is defective, electronic or not, you should be able to get your $ back.  an alternative MAY be to go to your credit card company and dispute the charge if B&N won't budge on a refund. 

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier

I do work for B&N, but like mostof my brethren who post I am limited as to what it is within my power to correct. I am a bookseller, I am not in the telephone CS purview, nor can I address many of the concerns posted here. I CAN tell you that I do reply when and where I can be effective and in-store, when a customer comes to me with a problem, I will do everything to get them up and running. Unfortunately I cannot help with your router at home as I am not there, but I can give a few tips covered here. As for addressing customer dissatisfaction, I and I presume others have given feedback, but be aware that our voices are no more effective than yours at our level.
my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

as for the file format issue, in store if we are presented with a misprinted book we can exchange it for a new copy. This is something we can fix. In the case of a badly formatted ebook, we cannot replace it as the root source is bad. As for a refund, I cannot comment as it isnt my decision.
my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
ABthree
0 Kudos

@MaleficentIL

I've always found B&N very responsive to serious formatting issues with eBooks I've bought from them.

As we've been discussing in this thread, B&N seems to be distracted by business issues right now, and is not being very responsive on this kind of problem.  In your place, I'd send them an e-mail outlining your experience to date, just to document the fact that you found the problem shortly after you bought the book and have been trying to resolve it ever since. 

After that, I'd keep calling Digital Support every couple of days, during business hours on the East Coast, if possible.  Once the current crisis is over, I would expect them to do something to satisfy you.

Good luck.  :smileyhappy:

-- St. Basil the Great+