Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Groupon Coupon - Pay $10 and get $20 Gift Certificate

Nallia wrote:

Since I'm still paranoid, I'm going to wait until I can register the three I bought.  If they all work fine, I'll buy some more.  :womansad:  I'm installing the Groupon App on my Droid X right now.

I'm equally paranoid.  In fact, probably more:  my paranoia about the Groupon login not becoming available until the deal expired confronted my paranoia about the Gift Cards not working, and won.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I created a password with my purchases.  I used two different email addresses but can't login with either through my laptop or my phone.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

It's just the high volume on the site, and people like me who are buying multiple Groupons in multiple cities are not helping! Sorry! :smileyindifferent:

Groupon offered a 50% gift card from The Gap right before Christmas that completely crashed their whole site, then LivingSocial crashed their own site when they offered half off a $20 Amazon gift card last month. These websites just have no idea how popular these are going to be!

Not saying you should go throwing around your credit card number if you don't feel comfortable, but if you've already bought one (or several) just try to be patient. Groupon has taken good care of my discount needs for a year now; they're trustworthy but just don't have enough bandwidth right now.

deemure
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

I created a password with my purchases.  I used two different email addresses but can't login with either through my laptop or my phone.

Me too.  I installed the app on my iphone tried logging in and it says it's not valid, so I tried setting up that account again and it says I have no groupons.  I probably shouldn't have tried to setup the account, but it was the same email address so I thought it would kick me out and say that account exists already, but it didn't.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Nallia
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

It's just the high volume on the site, and people like me who are buying multiple Groupons in multiple cities are not helping! Sorry! :smileyindifferent:

Groupon offered a 50% gift card from The Gap right before Christmas that completely crashed their whole site, then LivingSocial crashed their own site when they offered half off a $20 Amazon gift card last month. These websites just have no idea how popular these are going to be!

Not saying you should go throwing around your credit card number if you don't feel comfortable, but if you've already bought one (or several) just try to be patient. Groupon has taken good care of my discount needs for a year now; they're trustworthy but just don't have enough bandwidth right now.

Oh, I know.  I couldn't wait and ended up buying two more (for a total of five).  lol  I'm just impatient and want my emails NOW!  :smileywink:

ABthree
0 Kudos

@jeanniepep

I'm sure you're right:  by all accounts, Groupon is highly reputable.

The retail world always seems surprised by how many people still read books.  We saw a similar thing last year when Target ran that great special on Sony gift cards, and kept running out.

It's very encouraging, when you think about it. :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I bought 4 and am considering buying one more.  The problem I saw was that they needed to be used by April 10th or 11th I think or they start decreasing in value.  I read a lot of books but to purchase more than $80 worth of books by the beginning of April is a lot even for me... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

I guess I am just stupid, but I respect when a vendor offers a deal "one to a customer".

After all the posters complaints on this board about peoples sense of entitlement in wanting a new replacement instead of a refurb, or to trade in a NOOK for a Nook Color, then these same people lie about their location to get extra coupons.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Nobody said you have to READ them all by April. :smileywink:

This comes at such a perfect time for me because I'm going on a trip next week and was dying to load up my NC with fun books!  I'm so impatient too - I woke up at 5am and was like I WANNA DOWNLOAD NOW !!

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the heads up!   I just did this for the first time with an Amazon offer about a week or so ago, same offer,   $20 gc for the price of $10.  No hitch with that one, hopefully this will be the same.

I'd love to get more but I'm afraid there may be a problem registering them all to my account.

ETA:  Just want to add, those that managed to purchase several Amazon gc's had their ip's tracked and the additional orders were canceled.  This was through a different groupon service though called 'Living Social'.

Linda

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@LarryonLI:

If I log into a vendor's website using the same login name AND credit card information and that vendor allows me to make multiple purchases then I don't see the comparison with entitlement at all.  On the other hand if I was using multiple email addresses and multiple credit cards that would be a completely different story.

B&N is definitely getting money from me that I may or may not have spent otherwise so everyone wins.  I don't see a problem with that.

By the way, I did use a single email address and a single credit card when placing the orders.

Just my thoughts...

Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

I guess I am just stupid, but I respect when a vendor offers a deal "one to a customer".

After all the posters complaints on this board about peoples sense of entitlement in wanting a new replacement instead of a refurb, or to trade in a NOOK for a Nook Color, then these same people lie about their location to get extra coupons.

I'm right there with you, Larry.

Nallia
0 Kudos

I used the same credit card (and billing address) for all five purchases.  If four of those purchases came back from Groupon as denied I wouldn't complain or be upset for one second. 

ABthree
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

I used the same credit card (and billing address) for all five purchases.  If four of those purchases came back from Groupon as denied I wouldn't complain or be upset for one second. 

Same here.  I don't feel "entitled" and won't feel outraged if it doesn't work, Larry -- I promise!  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I guess that's the point, Nallia.  If they do deny some, well that's the breaks.  And yes, we are trying to do something that it says is not intended.  I'm not demanding they do this for me. 

It would be like me having a broken nook after having it for 5 months and asking if I can get a new one and not a refurb.  If they give it to me, great.  If they don't, I'm not going to post here that they are poopy heads.  That's the difference, I'm not demanding something for nothing, I am asking for an extra deal.  If they say no, I will live with that.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Hmr28
0 Kudos

I've never used groupon before (didn't stop me from buying them though!)

I purchased via my app on my phone, I assume i"ll be getting an email re the coupons. My question is are these coupons time limited? If I purchase more do I need to use them in a certain period or do I just need to load them onto my bn page within a certain time frame? Do they work like a normal gift card?

Frequent Contributor
SirTomster
0 Kudos

Hmr28 wrote:

I've never used groupon before (didn't stop me from buying them though!)

I purchased via my app on my phone, I assume i"ll be getting an email re the coupons. My question is are these coupons time limited? If I purchase more do I need to use them in a certain period or do I just need to load them onto my bn page within a certain time frame? Do they work like a normal gift card?

You can go through the ap on your phone and get your codes.  That is how I was able to get mine since the website is down.  Already added to my B&N account and made some purchases.  

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

My thoughts exactly.  If any one of the coupons I purchased came back denied I would just say "oh well" and move on.  If a company says there's a limit to how many items a single person can purchase then I have to believe it's their responsibility to have the safeguards in place to enforce it.  It would be a lot different if I tried to get the coupons and was limited to one and then I called up and started ranting that they owed me more because I wanted them.

Contributor
Weezknight
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

I'm one of the dumb ones too, I guess.  Of course I also have a budget to stick to, so $20 for $10 was too good to pass up.  But that $10 still counts against my budget.

Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

@LarryonLI:

If I log into a vendor's website using the same login name AND credit card information and that vendor allows me to make multiple purchases then I don't see the comparison with entitlement at all.  On the other hand if I was using multiple email addresses and multiple credit cards that would be a completely different story.

B&N is definitely getting money from me that I may or may not have spent otherwise so everyone wins.  I don't see a problem with that.

By the way, I did use a single email address and a single credit card when placing the orders.

Just my thoughts...

The offer says limited quantity available. How would you feel about someone else not being able to take advantage of this offer because you ordered more than the one the offer says you are allowed?