Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Groupon Coupon - Pay $10 and get $20 Gift Certificate

You can download the groupon app to your blackberry and get your codes, easy peasy!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

mousetater wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

@LarryonLI:

If I log into a vendor's website using the same login name AND credit card information and that vendor allows me to make multiple purchases then I don't see the comparison with entitlement at all.  On the other hand if I was using multiple email addresses and multiple credit cards that would be a completely different story.

B&N is definitely getting money from me that I may or may not have spent otherwise so everyone wins.  I don't see a problem with that.

By the way, I did use a single email address and a single credit card when placing the orders.

Just my thoughts...

The offer says limited quantity available. How would you feel about someone else not being able to take advantage of this offer because you ordered more than the one the offer says you are allowed?

When a company puts wording in that there are limitations I feel it's their responsibility to enforce those limitations.   This is especially true since they had my same login and credit card four different times.  With all that in mind do I feel bad?

I might if I knew for sure it was just an individual trying to get one coupon but I'll never know that so I'm not going to be concerned. 

If they stopped me I would have been fine with it and walked away with one coupon. 

Businesses need to take responsibility as well.  I have a problem believing that the Groupon website is down because of individuals purchasing one coupon.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

mousetater wrote:

The offer says limited quantity available. How would you feel about someone else not being able to take advantage of this offer because you ordered more than the one the offer says you are allowed?

True, the offer says "limited quantity available".  But then, it also says "one to a customer", and they don't seem to be enforcing that.

Last night when I bought one, over 12,000 had already been sold.  I just did a quick nose count on the 10 biggest cities in the country, and stopped when the ticker passed 25,000 sold.  If the number is "limited", it seems like the sky's the limit.  (Incidentally, that shows a fantastic, encouraging interest in books, doesn't it?)

But as far as your presumably guilt-inducing question is concerned, at this point in the sale, and even more three days from now, if someone is so slow off the blocks that they can't bestir themselves to take advantage of it, I guess my answer is, "Really good!"  And not guilty at all. :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Here is perhaps something to think about.  Groupon may make MORE money if you buy more then if they limit you to one.

I am just saying I can see a lot of folks on impulse thinking 'Great, I am going to order 3 of these, $60.00 for $30.00'.  Only later they forget they have them, don't get around to using them, etc etc.  April 11th hits, it drops to the $10.00 they paid for it.

I know you think 'how would someone not use it' yet I sheepishly admit I have a gift card to a local grocery that I forget to use ALL the time.  I buy my groceries, get 1/2 way to the car and think "ugh, forgot again..."

I could be wrong, but maybe the more folks buy the less of a chance they will use it all. 

Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

mousetater wrote:

True, the offer says "limited quantity available".  But then, it also says "one to a customer", and they don't seem to be enforcing that.

Last night when I bought one, over 12,000 had already been sold.  I just did a quick nose count on the 10 biggest cities in the country, and stopped when the ticker passed 25,000 sold.  If the number is "limited", it seems like the sky's the limit.  (Incidentally, that shows a fantastic, encouraging interest in books, doesn't it?)

But as far as your presumably guilt-inducing question is concerned, at this point in the sale, and even more three days from now, if someone is so slow off the blocks that they can't bestir themselves to take advantage of it, I guess my answer is, "Really good!"  And not guilty at all. :smileyvery-happy:

I wasn't trying to induce guilt.  I was curious. I didn't expect anyone was losing sleep over this, but wondered if anyone considered the limited quantities.

By the way, there could be many reasons a person might not know about or be able to take advantage of the sale as quickly as you were. That doesn't make them slow off the blocks. For example, not everyone reads these boards every day.

ABthree
0 Kudos

mousetater wrote:

For example, not everyone reads these boards every day.

NO?!?!?!?!?!  :smileysurprised:  Perish the thought!!!!!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am certain everyone posting here that is all aghast has at one time or another taken advantage of sales in stores that have limited quantities. 

Tell me if the grocery store has Standing Rib Roast on sale at $4.99 per lb., limit one roast, that you wouldn't check out and go back and get another.  Or how about beer-limit 2 6 packs for $10, or laundry soap, 2 64 oz bottles of Tide for $10 limit of 2 per customer.  Or sales of turkeys where you get one for .30 per lb. with a $40 purchase.  Of course, these aren't accurate prices at all. 

Or, how about, bogo sales. 

You've never ever ever checked out at a store and gone back in and gotten the sale items again?  In fact, people do it all the time-I've seen people split orders at the store and have another person that is with them buy the second purchase with money they give them and they aren't stopped by the grocery police.

I've also seen people do this with coupons that limit quantities.  I'm sure you have never ever ever done this in a store either.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
Weezknight
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

@LarryonLI:

If I log into a vendor's website using the same login name AND credit card information and that vendor allows me to make multiple purchases then I don't see the comparison with entitlement at all.  On the other hand if I was using multiple email addresses and multiple credit cards that would be a completely different story.

B&N is definitely getting money from me that I may or may not have spent otherwise so everyone wins.  I don't see a problem with that.

By the way, I did use a single email address and a single credit card when placing the orders.

Just my thoughts...

I'll have to remember this in the future.  Exploitation/breaking the rules is not a moral quandary when the person being exploited/having their rules broken was "letting" it happen.  Why not, instead, join the civilized part of the human race and notify them of the problem so they can fix it.

ABthree
0 Kudos

Weezknight wrote:

Why not, instead, join the civilized part of the human race and notify them of the problem so they can fix it.

I would, Reverend, but the Groupon website is too busy to take e-mails at the moment.  Too many bookloving savages doubling up on Gift Cards, I expect. :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
deemure
0 Kudos

Weezknight wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

@LarryonLI:

Just my thoughts...

I'll have to remember this in the future.  Exploitation/breaking the rules is not a moral quandary when the person being exploited/having their rules broken was "letting" it happen.  Why not, instead, join the civilized part of the human race and notify them of the problem so they can fix it.

Read my post above and then characterize your own actions.  Basically, even when stores do limit quantities they really want the sales more.  I worked in retail and they prefer that anyone buys what they are selling.  The idea behind limiting quantities is to get more people to view other items that are for sale and not because they want to make sure that some late comers get the deal.  They want exposure.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
jeanniepep

"Excuse me, Groupon Customer Service? Um, I was able to get $60 worth of eBooks for $30 instead of just getting $20 for $10? Can you please connect me with someone who could fix this PROBLEM?"

Are you guys the same ones who said "But teacher, you forgot to give us homework!" and rat out your coworkers for leaving 5 minutes early to pick up their kids?

There has been so much complaining on this board about a) the high price of eBooks, b) how BN coupons are never good for eBooks, and c) how unfair it is that BN memberships are worthless for downloads, despite the fact that those costs are controlled by the publishers and BN can't do anything about it. Maybe BN finally found a way to throw us e-readers a bone without breaking any publishers rules!

Enjoy staying up late re-reading your strict moral code, I'll be cozying up with several brand new books.

Contributor
Weezknight
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

They want exposure.

How much exposure are they going to get, though, when the deal has to be shut down early?  Groupon will end up losing money because I can't see people wanting to deal with them in the future if they can't properly police their own website.

Honestly the people on this board are pretty tame.  I've been reading threads at other deal websites where people are up in the $100's to $1000's spent already.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Weezknight wrote:

Since I am now classified as "uncivilized" I obviously have no way of notifying anyone as there is no internet service in my cave.  I will now return to my normal slovenly boorish behavior and not particularly worry about hurting poor defenseless Groupon where they are undoubtedly crying all the way to the bank.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Weezknight wrote:

deemure wrote:

They want exposure.

How much exposure are they going to get, though, when the deal has to be shut down early?  Groupon will end up losing money because I can't see people wanting to deal with them in the future if they can't properly police their own website.

Honestly the people on this board are pretty tame.  I've been reading threads at other deal websites where people are up in the $100's to $1000's spent already.

That's really nice.  You ignore my question and cherry pick one sentence that I wrote.  Yes, they want exposure, but more than that they want sales and judging from the amount of these sold I doubt they will think it was a failure.  At last count they'd sold a bunch-in large cities they number in the thousands, even smaller ones have sold hundreds, so yes it's a failure and people absolutley will hate them for offering such deals in the future.

And thanks for calling us lame.  Next time you go shopping never take part in a limited item sale.  Even if you go back to the store on a different day do not buy the sale item again.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

I have no idea how these sites work, but my guess is they get to charge more advertising $'s based on hits.  they got a bucket load now.  and now they are in thousands more inbox's then they were previously.  thus they can take that, go to other places, and say 'hey, we have 115,000 active customer emials in XYZ city, want to set up an offer on our site?'  and it sounds better than having 20,000 active customer emails

AlanNJ

I've also told other people that own Nooks about this offer (not on this website) and they'd never even heard of Groupon.  So Groupon owes me!  :smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Here is my Groupon referral if anyone is so inclined.

http://my.groupon.com/r/uu4904054

Thanks!

LisaB

Correspondent
kivvie

I just finished teaching Crito from Plato today, so the ethical dilemma is in my head. I can completely justify why I might want to get more than one, but I also can see the slippery slope of ethics.

I guess you want to ask yourself why a company makes an offer limiting the quantities. Are they trying to "spread the wealth" to many customers, are they trying to increase sales, are they attempting to find new customers? If the answer is to truly increase sales, then the ethical dilemma is easier. Of course people also seem to treat companies with different ethical considerations than they would their neighbor.

Please don't insult or make fun of others for sticking to their ethical decisions even if you don't believe in them.Some people think Socrates was crazy for drinking the hemlock, but his death made a point we remember today.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I've also told other people that own Nooks about this offer (not on this website) and they'd never even heard of Groupon.  So Groupon owes me!  :smileyvery-happy:

Double ditto!

I don't look at it as gluttony, more like doing a service. I am buying in each state and groupon & BN are making out in the deal.

People are awfully judgemental.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Double ditto!

I don't look at it as gluttony, more like doing a service. I am buying in each state and groupon & BN are making out in the deal.

People are awfully judgemental.

There was an old line from a Smothers Brothers <remember them?> routine where Tommy Smothers turns to Dick Smothers and says straight-faced: "We accept everybody in America, Dickie"... I try to keep that in mind.