Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Weezknight

Re: B&N Groupon Coupon - Pay $10 and get $20 Gift Certificate

AlanNJ wrote:

There was an old line from a Smothers Brothers <remember them?> routine where Tommy Smothers turns to Dick Smothers and says straight-faced: "We accept everybody in America, Dickie"... I try to keep that in mind.

First of all I love the Smothers Brothers (odd for my young age), and I found that to be funny.

Second of all, you're right about using that quote, and I apologize for my earlier tone.  I was coming from another website where, as I said, people were going on and on about using this to rack up PS3's, NookColors, and, literally, $1000's of dollars of stuff.  I found that to be a bit gluttonous, and when I saw people right here on the B&N website buying multiples, I guess it set me off a bit.

Again, I apologize.  Doesn't mean that I still think we should all try and follow the rules as best we can, but I'm willing to offer my apologies.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell

[ Edited ]

jeanniepep wrote:
Are you guys the same ones who said "But teacher, you forgot to give us homework!" and rat out your coworkers for leaving 5 minutes early to pick up their kids?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You nailed it.

I can't tell you how many times I've been lectured on this board for everything from hanging too long at B&N stores without buying a book to deciding not to shop at Amazon. If I said I like blueberry popsicles, someone would be taking issue with my lack of virtue and love for my fellow man.

In fact, I've had to listen to moralizing droning from some of the people on this very thread because I did almost exactly what they are insisting is fine today.

At least now I know for certain I should not be taking any of it seriously. Hot air, anyone?

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

It's been below freezing for weeks in Michigan, I guess I could use a little hot air!  :smileyvery-happy:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Weezknight wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

There was an old line from a Smothers Brothers <remember them?> routine where Tommy Smothers turns to Dick Smothers and says straight-faced: "We accept everybody in America, Dickie"... I try to keep that in mind.

First of all I love the Smothers Brothers (odd for my young age), and I found that to be funny.

Second of all, you're right about using that quote, and I apologize for my earlier tone.  I was coming from another website where, as I said, people were going on and on about using this to rack up PS3's, NookColors, and, literally, $1000's of dollars of stuff.  I found that to be a bit gluttonous, and when I saw people right here on the B&N website buying multiples, I guess it set me off a bit.

Again, I apologize.  Doesn't mean that I still think we should all try and follow the rules as best we can, but I'm willing to offer my apologies.

As far as I'm concerned your apology is accepted.   I can't believe the amounts that you're talking about from those other websites though.  That's incredible!

Nice to meet you... :smileyhappy:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Weezknight
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

As far as I'm concerned your apology is accepted.   I can't believe the amounts that you're talking about from those other websites though.  That's incredible!

Nice to meet you... :smileyhappy:

Thanks, nice to meet you to.

I was so glad when I found these forums after getting my Nook for Christmas.  There are so many knowledgeable people here, that, although I'm pretty good with gadgets, helped me get my Nook running and setup to borrow from my public library!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

I have no proble with people sometimes getting more than a company says they're allowed.  What I take issue with are those who throw hissy fits when they aren't allowed to do it.

Over the summer, B&N ran a free ebook voucher promotion.  That's how I ended up getting sucked into the Dresden Files.  lol  Stores were only supposed to give one voucher to a customer for each ebook. Some of the people on this thread being called unethical are also people who took time out of their days to drive to multiple B&N stores in the summer to get as many free ebook vouchers as they could in order to give them to posters they don't even know personally on this forum.

Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

to those of you who ordered this e-certificate how long before you got the email with your certificate

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Anastacia01 wrote:

to those of you who ordered this e-certificate how long before you got the email with your certificate

It took about 3 hours to receive mine.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

The ones we ordered yesterday evening came in sometime while we were asleep. Today it took me about 4 hours, but I still haven't been able to log in to the Groupon site. My husband ordered his on his Droid and was able to log back in after an hour or so and get the code.

Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I ordered mine over four hours ago, but I haven't gotten the emails yet.  I can't login through the site or through the app on my phone.  I keep getting the error message: "We could not log you in with that email and password.  Please try again."

I'm guessing it may take longer than usual because they're so busy now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

An hour or two, but can't logon to get the code because of site traffic.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

MWorrell wrote:

Keep trying, and check the "stay logged in" box on the login screen when you do get it.  It took about three hours of refreshing the screen on and off, but eventually I got it.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

I think how fast your receive your certificate is depending on how you ordered...

I bought mine this morning using the Groupon app on my Droid, and had the code within an hour.  I also asked a co-worker to buy one as well on her account, and she did - through the website.  3 hours later, she still hasn't received the code.

Also, interesting story - someone over on MR is saying that he bought 14 groupons, printed them all, then hobbled over to B&N brick and mortar store and bought a nook color! I wonder if this is what B&N had in mind...

Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

can BN refuse to take the gift certificates for certain items becuase if its true that someone bout 14 of them and used them to by a Nook Color if enough people do that they may refuse to take them for the nook and related items or only allow a so many to be used per purchase

Inspired Contributor
moemac
0 Kudos

Most of the Groupons usually don't post till the next day on your account.  I am surprised to hear people buying them today and getting them today. That has never happened to me and I have been using Groupons for a long time (I was in the G's program).

"Don't parse the blurb"
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kivvie wrote:

Please don't insult or make fun of others for sticking to their ethical decisions even if you don't believe in them.Some people think Socrates was crazy for drinking the hemlock, but his death made a point we remember today.

I don't know if anyone was insulting anyone, just nice to know we are tame compared to others.  But if this is a slippery slope, then we have been doing this all along as I pointed out.  We all take advantage of sales that say items are limited and go back later and do so again.  Or even run right back in to do it. 

It happens especially at grocery stores, but people don't get worked up about that.  Groupon is making a killing with these if you consider that in Chicago alone, last time I looked they had sold about 6,000.  Of course I don't know how much they get out of each coupon, but this has to be better than the local sandwich shop offers they keep showing.

We used to watch the Smother's Brothers faithfully-that was where I first heard of Mason Williams of course (Classical Gas) and we had Smother's Brothers record albums.  "Mom always liked you best," was quite funny.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

MWorrell wrote:

Keep trying, and check the "stay logged in" box on the login screen when you do get it.  It took about three hours of refreshing the screen on and off, but eventually I got it.

When I got the email confirmation, I installed the android app on my phone and got the code instantly that way.

Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

Anastacia01 wrote:

can BN refuse to take the gift certificates for certain items becuase if its true that someone bout 14 of them and used them to by a Nook Color if enough people do that they may refuse to take them for the nook and related items or only allow a so many to be used per purchase

I don't think BN can refuse to take the gift certificates for certain items; the groupon says you can use it on anything.  However, if you read the terms & conditions carefully, B&N does reserve the right to change the terms of the B&N groupon program, so if they see this happening alot, I wouldn't be surprised.  Most likely B&N wouldn't limit what you could buy with a groupon, but would limit the # of groupons that could be used in a single transaction (i.e. like the limit of 3 for online purchases).

Frequent Contributor
Hmr28
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I must be an idiot (ok no snarky comments). I have the email confirmation that I do indeed have a coupon, can't get in to groupon online, downloaded the app to my phone and can't figure out how to get the coupon using the app.

Nallia
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

kivvie wrote:

Please don't insult or make fun of others for sticking to their ethical decisions even if you don't believe in them.Some people think Socrates was crazy for drinking the hemlock, but his death made a point we remember today.

I don't know if anyone was insulting anyone, just nice to know we are tame compared to others.  But if this is a slippery slope, then we have been doing this all along as I pointed out.  We all take advantage of sales that say items are limited and go back later and do so again.  Or even run right back in to do it. 

It happens especially at grocery stores, but people don't get worked up about that.  Groupon is making a killing with these if you consider that in Chicago alone, last time I looked they had sold about 6,000.  Of course I don't know how much they get out of each coupon, but this has to be better than the local sandwich shop offers they keep showing.

We used to watch the Smother's Brothers faithfully-that was where I first heard of Mason Williams of course (Classical Gas) and we had Smother's Brothers record albums.  "Mom always liked you best," was quite funny.

You know what's funny?  I have never attempted to buy more than one of something if I was told I could only have one before this.  i just couldn't resist for my books!