Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

Re: B&N Groupon Coupon - Pay $10 and get $20 Gift Certificate

here is why I think perhaps it is more a grouppn mess up than B&N.  I BET you could go to groupon today and find loopholes to grab multiple whatever they have today offers as well.  and I bet you could tomorrow.  It just happens that not everyone really cares to get 200 certificates for a $300 massage for $150...

also, yes B&N should of had a lot more controls in place, but seriously go to slickdeals.com and find the 58 page (yes 58 pages) of messages around folks finding ways to scam and trick B&N. 

One person noted you could only use 3 gift cards on online orders, so another found a way to call by phone and whined until he got an oerder rep to hand key THIRTY gift cards as he read them too her.  Another noted the certificate states 1 per person / 1 per transaction, so they instead hand keyed them onto a word doc, then walked that in and made up some excuse about that is the way he manages all his gift cards so that he does not have to carry them all around.  he went to 3 stores before he finally found an old lady cashier (who he admitted targeting) to key in 80 gift cards so he could purchase 5 color nooks.  took her 40 minutes he said

I am sorry but yes you can shake your head at B&N a bit, but when folks are blantantly lying and in my opinion to some degree stealing then there the person with the real issues are the customers.

Some folks basically took all the same merchandise back the next day, got $600 of real gift cards from their returns and are selling them on ebay at a 25% discount, neting 25%.  some bragged about spending 13 hours setting up emails, ordering from groupon, and obtaining the certificates.

If I decided to get 30 of us, go to a B&N and storm in all at once and loot the place, and grab a handful of stuff each, is it right to come back later and say 'geez, B&N should of known this was a possibility'.  sure it is, but eventually one would hope human decency would come into play to some extent.  I kind of think this is just about the same concept.

just because you can find loopholes to manipulate the system doesn't mean B&N or groupon are the ones in the wrong.  you are ...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

schatzieWI wrote:
Greed isn't good. B&N and the people who tried to cheat them deserve the trouble they are having today. Couldn't you just follow the rules and be happy getting a free book?

"Do good and avoid evil" is the easiest advice to give ... but it can be the hardest advice to follow.  Or even figure out.   :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Exactly.  It was Groupon's responsibility to limit the cards.  If they let the sale go through then they need to honor it.

I think what ABThree is saying (and what I am saying) is that Groupon was under no responsibility to limit number of cards sold unless B&N told them stop selling at 50,000 total - no more than 1,000 per city.  (Numbers chosen sheerly out of thin air for example.)

If B&N did do that, then the onus is all on Groupon.  I'm thinking that B&N did not because Groupon is pretty good at stopping a promotion when it has reached its limit.  Certainly they could have erred - and if they did they are responsible - but the sheer fact that they kept selling, implies to me, that while the Groupon said total number was limited, B&N had never actually given Groupon the limit to what they were supposed to sell.  If that's true, that failing (and probably the biggest of the promotion!) is B&N's.

I had totally not thought of that issue at first.  :smileysurprised:

Groupon still needs to close its loopholes, but if B&N didn't tell them to stop selling at 50,000 (or whatever number!), then B&N has to own that part.

ABthree
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

I think what ABThree is saying (and what I am saying) is that Groupon was under no responsibility to limit number of cards sold unless B&N told them stop selling at 50,000 total - no more than 1,000 per city.  (Numbers chosen sheerly out of thin air for example.)

In fact, I agree with your conclusions.  But I'm not trying to say what should have happened, or whose responsibility it was.  I'm just commenting on what did happen.

And it should go without saying (although almost nothing ever does) that hindsight is 20/20.

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I agree Ya_Ya but I still think the initial responsibility is Groupon's.  If B&N had a limit they should have given it to Groupon to enforce.  Who knows what went on behind the scenes?

Now for the good news!

I had ordered 5 cards and had 3 cancelled by B&N today.  I still had 2 Groupons left.  I called Groupon and they are giving me a $40 credit on my credit cards and I can still use one card.  They told me which card is good and that I can add it to my B&N account.  So really the only aggravation this cost me was a call to Groupon and that went very smoothly.

I'm happy.  I'm not out to screw the world.

►Without order there is chaos◄
ABthree
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:
I'm not out to screw the world.

And I'm sure the world is heaving a sigh of relief -- that's not a confirmation we can always get out of New Jersey!  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:
I'm not out to screw the world.

And I'm sure the world is heaving a sigh of relief -- that's not a confirmation we can always get out of New Jersey!  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

You lived in Washington DC, AB... I'm not sure you can talk too much either.  Not sure where you are now though... :smileywink:

ABthree
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

You lived in Washington DC, AB... I'm not sure you can talk too much either.  Not sure where you are now though... :smileywink:

Actually, my family disappeared into the wilderness of Morris County, New Jersey, in the 1740s.  Fortunately for yours truly, they finally emerged almost 200 years later -- and moved to New York!  :smileyvery-happy:

Now I live in Chicago, because this is where people keep giving me jobs:  with any luck, that will continue.

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Actually, my family disappeared into the wilderness of Morris County, New Jersey, in the 1740s.  Fortunately for yours truly, they finally emerged almost 200 years later -- and moved to New York!  :smileyvery-happy:

Now I live in Chicago, because this is where people keep giving me jobs:  with any luck, that will continue.

I hear ya... I'm actually in Somerset County which is right next to Morris County.  I'm glad you're living in a place like Chicago which is certainly not known for corruption or dishonesty either... :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Jekomo
0 Kudos

I bought three, and all three are gone now. I agree; it would have been nice if they would have left the first one that I bought there.

Anyway, they charged my debit card the three $10 transactions. Does anyone know for sure if Groupon is going to refund that money on their own, or are all these people (myself included) going to need to call Groupon individually?

I realize I totally deserve this for being greedy and really wanting that Kate Spade Nook cover.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Luckily I had two I hadn't used to they were able to keep one alive.  I would recommend calling them.  They were easy to get in touch with and very easy to work with.

877-788-7858

Contributor
Jekomo
0 Kudos

Thanks so much! I'm going to call in a bit. I feel so guilty now lol...busted, right?

I do hope they will let me keep one of them, though.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I would think they should.  Part of me is upset that I didn't spend all of mine at once so they couldn't take them away but the reality is that I'm fine with how it ended up.

Contributor
Jekomo
0 Kudos

I'm wondering, though, if I would have "spent" them if B&N would have gone back and just charged my credit card instead.

Anyway, I just called and it was a quick and painless experience. Groupon was very helpful and is crediting me $20 and letting me keep one. Hopefully it all works out as it's supposed to because the CS rep I talked to said it would take a day or two to be fixed in my account.

Thanks again!

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

They told me 4-5 days.  I know what you mean.  I wonder if B&N would be able to charge your card?  I'm glad I won't have to find out!

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

They told me 4-5 days.  I know what you mean.  I wonder if B&N would be able to charge your card?  I'm glad I won't have to find out!

A vendor cannot charge your credit card without your prior authorization for the charge.  I cannot see someone getting into a situation where they ordered a $60 item and trie dto apply 2 groupons ($40.00 total) so it rejected, thwy got the security alert email and then they charged the cc the full $60.00.  My guess is they would cancel the order and the person would have to reorder

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

B&N has to follow the rules, but the customer doesn't?
New User
Pam76
0 Kudos

I joined Groupon, but I don't see where to look for the bn coupon.  Can anyone help?

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Pam76 wrote:

I joined Groupon, but I don't see where to look for the bn coupon.  Can anyone help?

deal ended a few days ago

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

The coupon has been expired for a few days now.