Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Barbara1955
0 Kudos

B&N Removed Money From MY ACCOUNT !!!!

B&N Removed money from my account...ALMOST a WEEK later a MANY emails THEY refusing to tell me Where IT went GRRRR     A friend gave me a eGift Card for New Years...BUT I returned my Nook!  So Since JAN 4th  WE have been trying to get B&N to Refund Her Money!  About 4 days ago I was checking my account & was Happy to see the Bal was $00000!!!!!!!!!!

BUT When I contacted my friend to congradulate her on Finally getting the refund....SHE DID NOT HAVE IT!!!!  So 4 Days later WE are still trying to get B&N To say What the heck did YOU Do with the MONEY?????  When you deal with B&N its BUYER BEWARE!!       

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Re: B&N Removed Money From MY ACCOUNT !!!!

I know I'm going to be sorry for getting involved in this thread but what exactly does it mean that they "refused to tell where it went"?

You called them up and asked for a status and they said "no we won't tell you"?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
Tweedledee

The gift card is apparently at a 0.00 balance, your friend has not obtained a refund for the gift card - translation of the rant.  Much communication with B&N and friend has still not obtained refund.

Suggestion - go to B&N Brick & Mortor where the card was purchased or for that matter just go to one and try to get them to assist.

I know that I am regreting much like the last poster getting involved.

Furthermore your title is entirely misleading - your account at your bank is just fine, B&N did not take money from it, they just "de-loaded" your gift "gift" card.  Your friend is out the $$$, not you!!!!

Or if this is not the translation of this interesting tirade.....I am sure that you will let us know in either Caps or Bold yellling at folks that are not B&N personnel, just "folks" like you - we do not deserve the rant.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

The title of the thread says B&N removed $ from your account, but then when you read the message you said you called them and asked them to remove the $ (or refund it).  So isn't that exactly what you asked for?  If so the issue sounds like the bank from your friend, not B&N.

I am also not surprised B&N won't give you account information for your friend.  Friend or not I don;t see hem sharing personal banking information, especially if you admit up front it is not you but someone else.  so not surprised the would not tell you where it went.

Correspondent
bayboatin

It would seem awefully strange for any store to refund money for a gift card (e- or otherwise). Just because you don't have your Nook any more doesn't mean there aren't other things to buy from them.

just sayin'.....

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

[ Edited ]

great point bayboatin. 

an eGift card just means it was a 'gift card' that they had sent via email vs hard plastic gift card from a store.  You can use that eGift card to buy anything from B&N, including going into a physical store.  Why not just buy a book or something with it?  The fact B&N even entertained the option of a refund is surprising to me, but props to them if they did.

below are the Terms and Conditions of the egift card:

Barnes & Noble Gift Card Program Terms and Conditions

Your use or purchase of a Barnes & Noble branded Gift Card, eGiftCard, Gift Certificate or other stored value product (collectively, "Gift Cards") indicates your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Except as otherwise provided by law, these Terms and Conditions apply to all Gift Cards, whether purchased at store locations, online, or received from third parties.

1. Except as otherwise stated below, Gift Cards can be used at any Barnes & Noble store nationwide and at BN.com. They can also be used at any Barnes & Noble College, Bookstar or B. Dalton Bookseller location. Electronic Gift Cards currently cannot be redeemed at Barnes & Noble College bookstores or websites.

2. Maintenance, dormancy or service fees do not apply to balances on Gift Cards. Gift Cards have no expiration dates.

3. Hold your Gift Cards securely and write down your Gift Card number and PIN in a safe place. Gift Cards that are lost or stolen will ONLY be replaced, up to the value remaining, with satisfactory proof of purchase AND the Gift Card number. Call 1-800-THE-BOOK in order to have a lost or stolen Gift Card replaced.

4. Gift Cards are not redeemable for cash, except to the extent required by law.

5. Gift Cards may be used to purchase annual memberships in the Barnes & Noble Membership program (continuous billing memberships require a valid credit card).

6. Gift Cards may be used to purchase single issues of eNewspapers and eMagazines; however, they cannot be used for subscriptions to eNewspapers or eMagazines.

7. We reserve the right to prohibit the purchase of Gift Cards with other Gift Cards.

8. From time to time, you may be awarded with or receive "rewards," "promotional" or similar physical or electronic gift cards ("Promotional Cards"). As a general matter, these Promotional Cards shall have the same terms and conditions as the Gift Cards described here, however, they may have expiration dates, delayed activation dates or may be subject to additional restrictions as provided on the Promotional Cards themselves or any packaging or other written materials that accompany such Promotional Cards.

9. Purchase amounts that exceed the value of the tendered Gift Card will require an additional payment for the balance due.

10. Gift Cards purchased online are delivered separately from other purchases.

11. Barnes & Noble reserves the right to hold any order for a security review. If your order is affected, you will be notified via email within two business days.

12. To obtain your Gift Card balance,
click here or call toll-free 1-800-295-3029.

13. Gift Cards will not be redeemed if the card number is invalid or cannot be identified within Barnes & Noble systems.

14. We reserve the right to restrict the redemption of more than $1,000 in Gift Card balances by one person in any 30-day period.

15. Barnes & Noble Marketing Services LLC ("MSL") is the issuer of all Gift Cards (with the exception of Gift Cards marked "Barnes & Noble Bookfairs") that are sold or issued on or after August 1, 2010. MSL is organized and domiciled in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the purchase and sale of Gift Cards issued by MSL shall be deemed to be in Virginia and shall be subject to the laws and regulations of Virginia.

16. Barnes & Noble Marketing Services Corp. ("MSC") is the issuer of all Gift Cards sold or issued prior to August 1, 2010 and all Gift Cards marked "Barnes & Noble Bookfairs." MSC is incorporated in the State of Florida, and the purchase and sale of the Gift Cards issued by MSC shall be deemed to be in Florida and shall be subject to the laws and regulations of Florida.

17. Each of MSL and MSC reserves the right to change the terms of the Barnes & Noble Gift Card program at any time or to contract with another party to administer this program.

18. In the event that the Gift Card system may become temporarily inoperative, you may be unable to obtain information about the balance on your Gift Card and Gift Card transactions, or use your Gift Card to pay for purchases. Please notify us if you have any problems using your Gift Card. You agree that none of Barnes & Noble, MSL and MSC is responsible for any interruption of service or the quality, safety, legality, or any other aspect of any goods or services purchased by you with your Gift Card.

19. Each of MSL and MSC may assign this agreement at any time without notice.

20. You may be the holder of a Barnes & Noble.com gift certificate. Unlike other Gift Cards, Barnes & Noble.com gift certificates can only be used online at BN.com. To obtain your balance on a Barnes & Noble.com gift certificate, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

Ignorance and a juvenile sense of entitlement.  The two elements of the many trolls who post to this message board (they usually make only one post - another sign of a troll).

Frequent Contributor
Barbara1955
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:TROLL:smileyvery-happy:  Since I have been posting here for 6 Weeks!! Now I am a TROLL:smileyvery-happy:

No I dont want Personal information.  But an email saying its been refunded instead of Canned emails would be nice!  OR they could tell HER! 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell

Barbara1955 wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:TROLL:smileyvery-happy:  Since I have been posting here for 6 Weeks!! Now I am a TROLL:smileyvery-happy:

No I dont want Personal information.  But an email saying its been refunded instead of Canned emails would be nice!  OR they could tell HER! 

I'm sorry, but could you please restate your comment in bold italics? It just doesn't quite get through to me otherwise.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

I am so confused.  What is going on?  Did B&N refund something?  Not refund something?  Refuse to refund the money for a gift card with a 0 balance?  Actually take money out of someone's bank account without authorization?

None of these posts make any sense at all.

Inspired Correspondent
DblGee
0 Kudos

I don't know...I've seen various posts on here that B&N offshored their CS and now I'm beginning to wonder if they haven't offshored some accounting functions as well.  I've kept a loaded gift card on my Nook for over a year without any kind of issues.  For the past couple of months my gift card has had a balance somewhere between $50-$100 at any given time.  Yet for the first time ever - they've been applying charges to my credit card instead of the gift card.  Not for every purchase - but enough for me to make sure they've applied the charge to the gift card before buying anything else.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

Barbara1955 wrote:

Why is it that your posts are ALWAYS  annoying? You always have an issue or complaint.

You returned your nook, well that's great for the rest of the thinking world.

All I got out of this is that you want money back on a gift card, good luck with that.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Here is the translation as I see it.

Friend bought egiftcard with which OP bought nook.  Nook returned, money not returned to friend's bank account.  BN won't discuss friend's bank account with OP.  OP does not realize that egiftcards are not refundable (not redeemable for cash). 

OP's keyboard alternately stuck on smiley faces, italics, caps, and bold text apparently due to some random atmospheric condition henceforth known as "the condition".

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Nallia
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

Here is the translation as I see it.

Friend bought egiftcard with which OP bought nook.  Nook returned, money not returned to friend's bank account.  BN won't discuss friend's bank account with OP.  OP does not realize that egiftcards are not refundable (not redeemable for cash). 

OP's keyboard alternately stuck on smiley faces, italics, caps, and bold text apparently due to some random atmospheric condition henceforth known as "the condition".

I am in the midst of a really bad day, emotionally.  This made me laugh for the first time today. Thanks.  I really needed that!

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I want to take my stab at this just for fun.  here is what i think she is saying happened

OP had a Nook.  Someone got her a egift card so that she could use that for her nook.  In turn she decided to return nook, thus wanted a refund on the egift card. current giftcard balance is now $0.00 but B&N can't tell her if the bank now has the credit back.

Now my take - she can use egift cards for anything, does not need to be for nook items.  it was nice of B&N IMO to refund the egift card.  if the balance is now $0.00 I assume she has in essence 'returned' the gift card.  if the credit has not shown up on her friends account sounds like an issue for her and her bank, not the OP and B&N. 

did she get a receipt for the return?  every time I return something I get a receipt and it clearly shows how it was returned. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

It just MAY be possible that they sent her an email BUT it was so filled with exclamation points and boldface that she couldn't figure out what they said... I know there is nobody here who would fill an email with boldface and exclamation points so it must be customer service doing it.  Everything wrong in the world is done by customer service.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
shilohMD

RSC_Nook wrote:

I want to take my stab at this just for fun.  here is what i think she is saying happened

OP had a Nook.  Someone got her a egift card so that she could use that for her nook.  In turn she decided to return nook, thus wanted a refund on the egift card. current giftcard balance is now $0.00 but B&N can't tell her if the bank now has the credit back.

Now my take - she can use egift cards for anything, does not need to be for nook items.  it was nice of B&N IMO to refund the egift card.  if the balance is now $0.00 I assume she has in essence 'returned' the gift card.  if the credit has not shown up on her friends account sounds like an issue for her and her bank, not the OP and B&N. 

did she get a receipt for the return?  every time I return something I get a receipt and it clearly shows how it was returned. 

"for fun"??  I think not.
What you have done is to succinctly and logically present the facts without flames.
What is wrong with you??  You some sort of weirdo?  This Board thrives on innuendo, immaturity, and rudeness...get with the program!
:smileywink:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

Sorry Shilo, I am kind of new to this board.

oops I mean "WOW LAY OFF MY CASE DUDE"  :smileymad: 

Nook sucks!  kindles rock.  why won;t my library books work on them though?  down with customer service, I didn't get a new nook after mine got a scratch 14 months after my purchase

Better?

Nallia
0 Kudos
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Barbara1955 wrote:

You're right, you didn't just make just one post, I was mistaken.  But really, don't you think your complaint is over the top?