Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Re: B&N; We'd really like an answer. You do read this forum, don't you?

Nallia wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

This was the first lengthy thread I read. Quite an intro to the board, I must say.

I'm going to do some searching and read some other threads now for informational purposes.

Interesting place to say the least.

We're, um, a special bunch.    

I promise that we're not always as contrary as this thread presented us.  Welcome to the asylum.

This is true.  This only happens with very special threads.

Agreed.

Actually this forum is very mild compared to others I frequent. The most a person will see here is implied sarcasm or obnoxiousness.LOL Other than that its a pretty tame place.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Well Nallia looks like you missed that call it still here and alive. HA

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

This was the first lengthy thread I read. Quite an intro to the board, I must say.

I'm going to do some searching and read some other threads now for informational purposes.

We're, um, a special bunch.    

I promise that we're not always as contrary as this thread presented us.  Welcome to the asylum.

This is true.  This only happens with very special threads.

Yes, but typically those very special threads involve bodice ripping vampires and differing forms of zombies, some of which have their bodices ripped.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Aww Gee page 5, and I would say not as intertaining as some of the threads have been.  I was quite dissappointed.  DANG

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

Aww Gee page 5, and I would say not as intertaining as some of the threads have been.  I was quite dissappointed.  DANG

No No, it's Page 9.  What is the matter with all of you, can't you count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

That's because ABthree is on vacation.  These threads just aren't the same without him.  :smileywink:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

ynot22 wrote:

I'm brand new here and I decided to read this thread because it had a lot of pages and I thought it would be infomative. Not so much information but there were a couple of laughs I guess.

If I read it correctly, the OP is hospitalized and using a morphine? drip that he can activate at will?

That could explain some of his ramblings, I suppose. He was definitely living in the Land of the Lotus, I would say.

I also noticed the OP hasn't posted since early this AM. I think he wiped himself out with all that medication.

In a way, I felt sorry for him. Hospitals do not put you on those self-medication devices unless there is extreme pain involved.

My grandmother had one of those after her breast cancer surgery.  We were told there's a "governor" to keep one from getting too much or even overdosing.

My father would become very aggitated when he was on morphine. Don't know if that's what they've got the OP on.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

ynot22 wrote:

<snip>

I'd say that, collectively, our biggest fault is feeing trolls. :smileywink:

LisaB

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

I'd say that, collectively, our biggest fault is feeing trolls. :smileywink:

LisaB

Considering my reading tastes, that's not entirely unwarrented. What else will I do while waiting for the "Song of Ice and Fire" book to come out (other than catch up on a few other series)? [shrug]

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Hey mickeyfin, Do you see a lot of these signs in your neighborhood??

:smileytongue:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Reader 2
Sir_Edward_Reads_A_Lot
0 Kudos

MickeyFinn...Callahan's Mickey?

Here's to all of those who weren't so lucky....

“Most people build as they live, as a matter of routine and senseless accident. But a few understand that building is a great symbol. We live in our minds, and existence is the attempt to bring that life into physical reality, to state it in gesture and form.” - Howard Roark, The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand
Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

I have been waiting for MickeyFinn's diatribe to continue. It had it's moments, I suppose, and some of the responses were glorious.

I wonder if someone slipped him a mickey.

If I had to guess I would say he may have passed away in the hospital (hospitals often give that "owner operated" pain killing drip to people with serious issues.

Or perhaps he's been blocked from posting here? Does this happen?

If he is a "blockee," this means there must be a "blocker," correct? Who weilds the power to block?

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Correspondent
SRay
0 Kudos

I'm still waiting for Barnes and Noble's personal guarantee that they will update my Nook Classic 3G for my lifetime and that of my descendants, lo down to the seventh generation. I notice that they've been pretty quiet about that. May have to rewrite my will and remove the codicil about my nook and it's going to the first male heir. Bummer!

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

If the Mick has left this mortal coil, I wonder if he willed that Nook to anyone?

It occurs to me that i shouldn't joke about this.

He may in fact have passed away in the hospital.

Mick, if you're looking down (or up) at me from somewhere in the afterlife, no offense intended.

Your posts here were a bit, (how shall I say this), offbeat but were at times interesting reading.

Contributor
Mondayn
0 Kudos

Wow, what an epic thread! You guys did an awesome job trying to explain simplicity to a very unique and entertaining individual. I applaud everyone for giving me near an hours worth of entertainment during a slow cashwrap night.

In all jests aside, I've stated once on another thread of the word I received when I asked if we could continue to give support to Nook 1st Gen. after the new Nook announcement. The answer I was given from my supervisor said, "The new Nook will be joining our family of Nooks right next to Nook 1st Gen."

I still provide support for customers who come into my store with their Nook 1st Gens. just as I do with anyone who comes in with a Nook color and I will continue to provide support for Nook 1st Gen. holders for as long as they keep coming into my store or calling with questions. I do hope that this answers some of your concerns that you've brought up.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

I beginning to fear the originator of this thread isn't doing to well with his hospitalization.

As I am new here, and this thread interested me, it was the first lengthy thread I read.

I keep coming back to look to see if the ill-tempered man has come back

I think I'll say a little prayer for him.

He did make me laugh so loud and long at one point, my wife started laughing because she became amused herself at my mirth.

It was this one that got me:

mickeyfinn wrote:

One of my serving wenches once spilled wine on my Ipod.

She feared punishment of course. So the airheaded but fetching dolt put it in the microwave to dry it off.

For months it told me I was in Perth Amboy.

I was so amused by her simplicity I didn't punish her, though the thought of being in New Jersey, land of imbeciles, was disquieting.

Funny man. Funny ha-ha and funny peculiar simultaneously.

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm not upset at all. I have both a Nook Color and a 1st Ed Wifi Nook, and I love them both! I'm NOT so thrilled with the New Nook 2nd Edition, as opposed to my Nook 1st ed...here's why:

1) No user replaceable battery. This is huge...with a user replaceable battery, I can keep my N1E going for years. What do the N2E users do when their battery needs to be replaced?

2) N2E does not support audio. No audio books, podcasts, or listening to my music.

3) N2E does not support PDB format (nor does the NC!)...and as a former Palm user, I have TONS of PDB files I now read on my N1E! Yes, I can convert them via Calibre. Practically, that's a real pain.

4) No web browser. Yeah, it wasn't easy to use, but I could use it in a pinch for Email and discussion groups.

B&N is quite aware that there are plenty of people still using the N1E, so while I don't expect B&N to come out with a lot of new features, I do expect them to put out a maintenance fix so that the N1E users can still download books (hopefully, for B&N, paid ones!) I don't expect B&N to ignore potential customers!

Using Calibre allows you to take books in ANY format and send it to a N1E...so there's no reason to think the N1E will be obsolete in the future.

A brief google search leads to tons of communities that support old technology. There are still people running TI-994a 16 bit computers, for example (the last ones were built in 1982!). Eventually,  when B&N gives up support, there isn't any reason why N1E users can't do the same.

When B&N gives up supporting the N1E, you can always ROOT the thing (go over to NookDevs.com). I would expect an active community to start making new apps for the N1E...a better browser, for one, perhaps a calendar and more useful music player. A weather widget would be nice, too!

Oh...since it's end of life, I expect the price to really go well under $100 for the Wifi only, which makes owning a second one (as a backup) that much easier.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ynot22 wrote:

I beginning to fear the originator of this thread isn't doing to well with his hospitalization.

As I am new here, and this thread interested me, it was the first lengthy thread I read.

I keep coming back to look to see if the ill-tempered man has come back

I think I'll say a little prayer for him.

He did make me laugh so loud and long at one point, my wife started laughing because she became amused herself at my mirth.

It was this one that got me:

mickeyfinn wrote:

One of my serving wenches once spilled wine on my Ipod.

She feared punishment of course. So the airheaded but fetching dolt put it in the microwave to dry it off.

For months it told me I was in Perth Amboy.

I was so amused by her simplicity I didn't punish her, though the thought of being in New Jersey, land of imbeciles, was disquieting.

Funny man. Funny ha-ha and funny peculiar simultaneously.

I dont think you have much to worry about. He didnt post here on a regular basis. Almost Half his postings were in this thread. Out of his 49 posts since april more than 40 happened on wednesday and thursday. His stats showed he visted hours after his last post.(doesnt show that after a couple days)

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

mickeyfinn wrote:

Nay! To the kitchen first and prepare me a platter of... cheese and... do not forget the wine.

You heard it here first, TC wants a little cheese with his whine.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales