Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott

B&N (lack of) response to v1.6 crash is awful.

This is ridiculous.

Barnes and Noble, I have dozens of books on both my nook classic and installed on my 4GB SD card.  I am unable to properly use my nook (connect via wifi to both get new purchased content and sync existing content with my other nook readers, get subscriptions, see daily content, etc.) because v1.6 harms my nook, relative to v1.5, which was working fine.

Barnes and Noble should immediately suspend the automatic downloading of version 1.6.  At the same time, Barnes and Noble should immediately and clearly post on the front page of bn.com what has happened, that it is now safe for 4+GB microSD to exit airplane mode and use their nooks normally, and how and when B&N plans to a) fix v1.6 and b) compensate those of us who have lost the proper use of our nooks for two days (and counting).

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Re: B&N (lack of) response to v1.6 crash is awful.

F14Scott wrote:

fix v1.6 and b) compensate those of us who have lost the proper use of our nooks for two days (and counting).

Hmmm just curious, what are you looking for by way of compensation?

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

The automatic update disappeared from my Nook yesterday.

BelgianAlien

So do you whine and ask for Microsoft to compensate you when their new bug pops up in a Windows update? Seriously.

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
F14Scott
0 Kudos

How about a $10 credit at the nook store, about the price of one book?

If the problem is so small that it hasn't been worth mentioning, it shouldn't be too big a hit on B&N, right?

F14Scott
0 Kudos

If your anecdotal experience represents an actual change in the status of the automatic download, then I'm glad v1.6 has stopped.

However, since no announcement has come from B&N, I can't act on information from a stranger with a sample size of one. 

F14Scott

[ Edited ]

First, if the Windows update disabled 4/5 of my hard drive and made me unable to connect to the internet for fear of doing so, you can bet there would be a class action lawsuit in progress already.

Second,  that hasn't happened, so your straw man argument is invalid.

Third, "Whine?"  Blow me.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Compensation?  Compensation?

Because you might (temporarily?) have to move books from your SD card to on-board storage?  Really?

Be pissed off if they don't fix it, demand a new device or a refund if they don't fix it, demand 2,4,6,8,16  2GB SD cards that will work (and be equivalent to your current SD card storage) if they don't fix it.  

Compensation?  This demand is seriously over-the-top to me.

[Note:  I did have to move books from the SD card to on-board storage because I'm one of the first few to report the SD card issue.  I know of which I speak.]

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee

BelgianAlien wrote:

So do you whine and ask for Microsoft to compensate you when their new bug pops up in a Windows update? Seriously.

We'd all be rich!  LOL

I don't think compensation is due but I have to wonder why they don't test these updates before they roll them out.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

I agree that the Update should be pulled until further notice, and if possible send out an Update that rolls people back to the previous software. Considering some people buy this over other ereaders specifically because it has extra storage capabilities, borking them like this is a big problem.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

No, this diatribe of demented entitlement is ridiculous.

B&N has responded, quickly and clearly. Once they were made aware of the problem, steps were taken to determine the exact nature and communicate via these boards that the problem is not with all SD cards, just those of a certain size. And no data is erased from them, it is just currently not being read. And they are working on a fix. (I can't say 100%, but I would hope the stores were made aware of this as well.)

I would counter the bug doesn't "harm" your NOOK, it just disables a certain functionality and is a temporary PIA. If you really need your sideloaded content, you can always load it into on-board memory. I can't imagine a reasonable person needs access to that many books all at once.

Why should B&N plaster this on bn.com? Not all their customers are NOOK owners. Of NOOK owners, what segment are N1E owners (as opposed to NC or N2E)? Of N1E owners, how many are using a card larger than 4GB? I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess that number is a very small fraction of visitors to the bn.com site. It makes absolutely no sense to plaster this there.

As to "compensation"—please. What permanent loss or real harm have you suffered? You can't read some of you books for awhile, unless you decide to take the time to move them from your SD card to native memory. Boo-friggin'-hoo.

DCLOVELL

The "right" to compensation has been killing this country.  IMO it all started with a hot cup of coffee that someone put between their legs while they were driving.  If nothing was done to purposely be malicous and has not harmed anyone...why should there be compensation.

keriflur

MrBanballow wrote:

I agree that the Update should be pulled until further notice, and if possible send out an Update that rolls people back to the previous software. Considering some people buy this over other ereaders specifically because it has extra storage capabilities, borking them like this is a big problem.

+1

I don't think financial compensation is in order, but I do think we need a rollback, some more thorough testing and an increase in communication from B&N on what's going on.  These boards are hard to find with the new B&N layout.  I'm sure there are a lot of users out there that can't access their SD cards and have no idea what's happening because B&N hasn't explained anything on the support site.

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I agree that the comminication has been horrible.  I have a friend at work who has had a Nook for months and did not know about this board.

Sometimes the silence is deafening.....

Frequent Contributor
graycyn

I have to admit, I sure hope they fix this soon. My Nook is staying OFF WiFi until I hear that it is fixed. I have a 16GB card in mine, and I sideload most everything to the card, to avoid the stupid segregated libraries.

I am lucky in that I don't access WiFi more than about once per week, and I'd hit it the day before the update rolled out. But I'd be flaming mad if my Nook's ability to access the card had been borked!

Hope they fix things soon!

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

They do need to:

a) Pull the automatic update to 1.6 until this is solved

b) Place an announcement of such in the Support section for the N1E (agree it makes no sense to plaster it all over the BN site but this would be an appropriate action) so people would know it is safe to go back into the water.

c) Fix the problem

Compensation?  That will depend on how long this goes on.  If I had a Wifi only N1E and this were to go on for a month or so I very well might demand some compensation.  I am guessing they have a lot of incentive to fix this because if you are in airplane mode you aren't buying ebooks.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:
I am guessing they have a lot of incentive to fix this because if you are in airplane mode you aren't buying ebooks.

Or you're buying them from someone else.  :smileywink:

Contributor
jofallon763

I don't dare turn on wifi on my nook and risk it locking up or losing books on the update, so I'll just buy physical books from Amazon and Borders in the interim.

BN's most valuable asset right now is probably the Nook. If they can't handle minor updates to the software smoothly, there's a place for them in bankruptcy court after Borders is done. Buying a nook is a risk. It's a good product, but BN is no Amazon.. It's only that the epub format is relatively open that makes it a decent risk.

F14Scott

The real harm is my  lack of access.

When B&N sells a reader and ebooks, it has asked me to place a great deal of trust in it and its systems.  I now own a $100+ machine and at least $1000 worth of content that I either must either not access or spend a few hours learning how to transfer into internal memory, remembering what I've done, and monitoring this and other forums to see when I can just get back to reading MY content.

Imagine if I similarly had to move all my DTBs from downstairs to upstairs before I could read them, and maybe I'd lose them on the way.  What is my time worth?

And, again, if it's just a small problem affecting only a very few users, then a compensation solution would not be especially costly.  I'm not suggesting a new nook.  Just something to make B&N aware that the expectation by its nook owners is, at the very least, to be able to use their readers. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

F14Scott wrote:

I either must either not access or spend a few hours learning how to transfer into internal memory, remembering what I've done. 

A few hours?  It's one drag and drop.  Highlight the documents on the SD card, right click, select copy then click on NOOK, open the My Documents folder and right click in the white space, select paste.

Done.  

Didn't take a few hours.  Didn't take a few minutes, even.  When it's fixed, you delete them from main memory and you're done.  I really think you are blowing this out of proportion.

Demanding "compensation" is absolutely ridiculous.  If you were demanding an apology and a fix, I'd be on board.  :smileyvery-happy: