Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
dave50

Re: B&N (lack of) response to v1.6 crash is awful.

I agree that an apology from B&N is in order, along with a fix post-haste.  Also a detailed explanation of exactly what is being changed / fixed in the 1.6 update that's so important the faulty update is still being offered on the support page?

Odds are it's simply a bit of legalese in the Terms of Service which was rushed out by the Legal department bypassing the normal QA process. And somebody mistakenly linked in SD support instead of SDHC support in the kernel build...

It would be nice if it included a few stability / bug fixes, such as the issue with "Check for New B&N Content" being "Unable to complete operation" after buying new books, although more likely any code changes would just be something to make it harder to root.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

jofallon763 wrote:

I don't dare turn on wifi on my nook and risk it locking up or losing books on the update, so I'll just buy physical books from Amazon and Borders in the interim.

Or you could always DL the nookbook to your computer and use the app and/or sideload it to your nook.

Correspondent
dave47

All those who have NEVER made a mistake, please raise their hands.

I thought so.  :smileywink:

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

dave47 wrote:

The point isn't that they made a mistake.  It's the handling of the mistake that I take issue with.  It's one thing to say, "Sorry, our bad, we'll remedy this as fast as possible and in the meantime, let's get you back to your last known good setup."  It's quite another to say nothing at all and to continue to offer the release to users. (I say offer because I know the link is still on the support page but I'm not positive they're still pushing it.)

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BelgianAlien wrote:

So do you whine and ask for Microsoft to compensate you when their new bug pops up in a Windows update? Seriously.

Why are you changing the subject? Seriously.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
New User
Halifano

I think that instead of "compensation" that B&N should be thinking of "goodwill".  A goodwill offering of a credit for one book download wouldn't be unjustified and might diminish the bad feeling that many are having over this issue.

Face it, there really isn't ANY excuse for a company the size of B&N to push out a firmware revision that self-admittedly adds no new features for users and which the user did not have any control over whether or not they received and installed the update.  If the technical people who put out the revisision didn't properly test to ensure it worked with all advertised specifications of memory, that points out a serious deficiency in said department that bodes poorly for future updates of all versions of the Nook.

While it might take only a few seconds to transfer content between the external and internal memory, those are seconds that I shouldn't have to devote to a problem directly caused by B&N.  Further, I'll now have to spend time every day or so to check the forums and find out if the problem has been fixed and how to rectify it (without, hopefully, encountering another problem with the revised firmware).

I think I would be within my warranty rights to request replacement of the device since it is not performing within the specifications.  That certainly would cost B&N more than some token goodwill offering.

Sending out a clearly worded apology, while noting that steps have been taken to ensure this kind of fiasco does not repeat itself, is a must for B&N.  Accompanying this apology and explanation should be a small token of goodwill to leave the customer with a positive feeling that they are valued by the retailer.  With no such apology and offering, I'm left with a rather bad taste in my mouth for Barnes and Noble, and probably woudn't look forward to future dealings with the company nor to recommend its products to my fellow users.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

dave47 wrote:

God help you. What has this to do with B&N fouling up people's Nooks with a faulty download they didn't even announce?

Rather than test it out themselves, I think they "guinea pigged" us and are letting us find the bugs for them. You can bet they are monitoring this board

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

It's B&N's upgrade or die program. 

Correspondent
dave47
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

dave47 wrote:

The point isn't that they made a mistake.  It's the handling of the mistake that I take issue with.  It's one thing to say, "Sorry, our bad, we'll remedy this as fast as possible and in the meantime, let's get you back to your last known good setup."  It's quite another to say nothing at all and to continue to offer the release to users. (I say offer because I know the link is still on the support page but I'm not positive they're still pushing it.)

I don't disagree with you but.......

I did read a note here from a member of B&Ns engineering staff explaining that there was a problem with >2GB memory cards and they were working to fix things.  That was yesterday.  So for readers here, there was at least some communication.  And the community manager (Sam) posted a few notes as well.

Now consider the *entire* Nook user world.

How many Nook users visit here?  I'd guess a (rather) small percentage.  How would the majority find out about this issue?  Would they call support?  Some might.  Would they visit a store if convenient?  Ditto.  What of the others?  Dunno.  The deeper the waters, the darker things get.

Could this have been handled differently?  Probably.  Will there be a review of the update process?  Ditto.

Wanna bet they will have a box full of ALL sizes of memory cards, real soon now.

Hey it's Friday afternoon.  Everyone have a nice weekend.  Read somethin'.

Correspondent
dave47

ynot22 wrote:

dave47 wrote:

God help you. What has this to do with B&N fouling up people's Nooks with a faulty download they didn't even announce?

Rather than test it out themselves, I think they "guinea pigged" us and are letting us find the bugs for them. You can bet they are monitoring this board

I was gonna reply to this, but I decided not to.   :smileywink:

keriflur
0 Kudos

Halifano -

Am I correct in assuming this is your first nook update?  I haven't read back through the thread to see if you state that or not.  There have been issues with, well, every N1E update I can remember, since the device came out in December 2009.  I'm not saying this is acceptable, because I don't find it acceptable.  It's just the reality that nook users have been putting up with.

Some of us went out and bought the N2E and will get a whole new round of buggy releases with that device.  I guess we're gluttons for punishment. :smileywink:  At least your device is almost through its update cycle. Once they fix 1.6 and your device is working properly again you'll never have to suffer through another update for as long as you own it.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

B&N responded by asking for information from people reporting the problem so they could troubleshoot. Once they identified the problme, they posted this message yesterday.  Not sure what else they could have done.  They have a problem, they're working to fix it.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-1-6-Update-and-microSD-cards/m-p/...

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

dave47 wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

dave47 wrote:

I was gonna reply to this, but I decided not to.   :smileywink:

Good idea.

Contributor
JamesOcean

As someone who sat on the other end of these bugs for 20 years, take just one second and put yourself in the developers shoes.

Upon finding out there was a real problem, they did post the facts as they know them.

Then they acknowledged that they are working on it.  That is all they can do at the moment.

If they fix this problem in two weeks, they have done their job (And yes, even if it is a minor fix to the software it will take two weeks because the last thing you want to do is have the fix break some other functionality.  So they will take the bug fix release through an accelerated testing cylce but it will be a full cycle of testing.  As embarassing as this is, it only gets exponentially worse if you need to release 1.6.1 then a week later 1.6.2 followed by 1.6.3, etc.  Take your time and get it fixed right the first time -- it is less costly in time, effort and PR.)

If they take a month to fix, this I'll be the first one to start complaining again.

As far as compensation goes, how about a coupon to purchase an Ebook for the same cost as the hardback (most of the titles I look up from favorite authors are much less in physical form than Ebook).

keriflur

JamesOcean wrote:

As someone who sat on the other end of these bugs for 20 years, take just one second and put yourself in the developers shoes.

Upon finding out there was a real problem, they did post the facts as they know them.

Then they acknowledged that they are working on it.  That is all they can do at the moment.

If they fix this problem in two weeks, they have done their job (And yes, even if it is a minor fix to the software it will take two weeks because the last thing you want to do is have the fix break some other functionality.  So they will take the bug fix release through an accelerated testing cylce but it will be a full cycle of testing.  As embarassing as this is, it only gets exponentially worse if you need to release 1.6.1 then a week later 1.6.2 followed by 1.6.3, etc.  Take your time and get it fixed right the first time -- it is less costly in time, effort and PR.)

If they take a month to fix, this I'll be the first one to start complaining again.

As far as compensation goes, how about a coupon to purchase an Ebook for the same cost as the hardback (most of the titles I look up from favorite authors are much less in physical form than Ebook).

I work in software development, so I AM on the other side, all the time.  This is not all they can do.  They can stop pushing the release and stop offering it for sideload since they KNOW it's got issues.  They can tell us that they've stopped pushing it so those of us in airplane mode can connect back up to wifi, and they can offer roll back information and files on the support page.

Contributor
JamesOcean
0 Kudos

From the comments that people have tried to download hte 1.6.0 update and had it not progress, I think we can be certain that B&N is holding back the update until they fix it.

My guess is that the B&N management who has to sign off on press releases is much more familiear with a brick and mortar world where you can hide mistakes more easily.

Perhaps this will be their lesson to release more information, especially to the tech-savy group who will want to know all the details.

Frequent Contributor
sf_az

My card was affected.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to fix it and ended up moving the books onto my nook's main memory.  It was a pain and I was frustrated at the time but reading some of these posts going on and on about compensation reminds me of a saying my grandma used to have.  

"If this is the worst thing that happened to you today then you had a pretty good day."

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien

I know nobody reads those, but as is the case with any company dealing with any kind of digital content, you'll never get compensation for loss of data. Taken directly from their Terms of Use:

Under no circumstances shall Barnes & Noble.com be responsible for any loss or damage, including personal injury or death, resulting from use of the Barnes & Noble.com Site or Services, from any Content, including Digital Content and User Created Content, posted on or through the Barnes & Noble.com Services, from the Barnes & Noble eReader Software, or from the conduct of any Users of the Barnes & Noble.com Site or Barnes & Noble.com Services, whether online or offline.

And we're not even talking a true loss of data... the data is still on the card, the nook just does not read it. 

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

If this were an Apple product they would be explaining to you that the problem is because you are in some way using the device incorrectly, such as holding it wrong.

Correspondent
Anthony1970

sf_az wrote:

My card was affected.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to fix it and ended up moving the books onto my nook's main memory.  It was a pain and I was frustrated at the time but reading some of these posts going on and on about compensation reminds me of a saying my grandma used to have.  

"If this is the worst thing that happened to you today then you had a pretty good day."

Unfortunately people today like to make mountains out of molehills.
OP. There is a sticky that says BN is looking into the matter. It was posted a day BEFORE your tirad. Seriously its not that big a deal. Yeah its a little inconvienent. But not the end of the world.
Perhaps its just best for some people to go back to paper books. I think an electric ereader is just too much stress for some people.