Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Re: B&N (lack of) response to v1.6 crash is awful.

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

If this were an Apple product they would be explaining to you that the problem is because you are in some way using the device incorrectly, such as holding it wrong.

If this were an Apple product they wouldn't admit there was even a problem.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott

[ Edited ]

Anthony1970 wrote:
Unfortunately people today like to make mountains out of molehills.
OP. There is a sticky that says BN is looking into the matter. It was posted a day BEFORE your tirad. Seriously its not that big a deal. Yeah its a little inconvienent. But not the end of the world.
Perhaps its just best for some people to go back to paper books. I think an electric reader is just too much stress for some people.

The sticky, oddly placed in the general discussion vice the technical support forum, described a postulated description of the problem.  It did not and STILL has not:

1) Warned users to immediately enter airplane mode to avoid downloading the faulty update.

2) Promised the faulty update has been removed from the automatic upload queue such that it is now safe to connect to WiFi or 3G to use the other radio-based functions of the nook.

3) Published official instructions for how to roll back to v1.5, if one has already received v1.6.

4) Published official instructions for how to move books and other content from the microSD card to internal memory.

5) Estimated the time of the fix to arrive.

and 6) Offered "goodwill" to those inconvenienced by the faulty update.  (I like that suggested term more than my original "compensation," so I'll use it, even though they mean almost exactly the same thing.)

Anthony1970, your "mountain/molehill" comment is a passively phrased ad hominem attack, implying I am one who blows things out of proportion.  At least have the guts to make a logically invalid attack in the active tense.  I could say that people today are B&N fanboy apologist pansies, but such a statement would be equally invalid and cowardly.

Your "go back to paper books" comment is a similarly passively phrased fallacy of false dichotomy, similar to "love it or leave it."  It is entirely possible for me to love my nook, yet be frustrated by the almost non-existent response to a problem that seriously roughens the previously smooth operation of my ereader.

Here's a question for you.  How long could this fault continue without further response from B&N before you would revise your position of non-condemnation?

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

@F14Scott:

Has this update bricked your unit?  No?  Okay then.

There is a problem that affects SOME people.  It affects content on  SOME MicroSD cards only.  The problem has been acknowledged by B&N.  They said they are working on fixing it.

And you want more?

And yes, before you throw it in my face, I am a fanboy. 

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Schwa wrote:

Has this update bricked your unit?  No?  Okay then.

There is a problem that affects SOME people.  It affects content on  SOME MicroSD cards only.  The problem has been acknowledged by B&N.  They said they are working on fixing it.

And you want more?

And yes, before you throw it in my face, I am a fanboy. 

Schwa,

In another post, one concerning trolls, you said, in essence, that the Wikipedia definition of "troll" was right on the money.

What do you think of the Wikipedia definition of "fanboy?"

If you're not familiar with it, it is as follows directly from Wikipedia:

Fanboy/fangirl

Fanboy is a term used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field. Fanboy-ism is often prevalent in a field of products, brands ... .

Personally, I'm not a fan of fanboys.

But then, I value objectivity and fanboys are incapable of the same.

I do commend you for admitting your are a Nook fanboy so anyone who read your post could dismiss it out of hand immediately and not read any further posts you may write concerning Nooks.

10 points for your honesty.

0 points for your opinion on anything even remotely related to Nooks.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
BelgianAlien

Okay, whether you call it "goodwill" or "compensation", it's just as ridiculous. Nothing broke, no data was erased, it's temporarily inaccessible if you refuse to use the workaround of copying the data from your 4BG+ SD card to the nook's core memory or a smaller SD card. B&N is not going to give you anything for it, regardless of how many times you ask and whether you call it goodwill or compensation.

As far as advising users to not update, I can see your point. However, I have turned off my WiFi the day your post started and the update still did not install. I could be totaly wrong, but it looks like B&N might have stopped the automatic rollout of this update. Furthermore if they were to make any announcement about the bug in this update they would simply tell users not to use an SD card of 4BG or larger.

Official instructions on how to roll back will never come from B&N, just because it involves going back to the very first version of the software and it has been reported that on some newer N1E's, it screws them up. Not as in "some data is invisible for a while" but as in "your nook is now FUBAR".

As far as an ETA on the ix gies, as with any software when a new bug is found, it takes them a while to determine how long the fix will take. And as we have seen so many times with B&N, their track record shows they generally don't give an ETA, they just all of a sudden pop up with an update or patch.

I, personally, would have spent my time transferring data to a smaller SD or to my nook's core memory,,, it would have taken a lot less time than what was spent on this thread... but that's just me. 

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

I'd just sure like to see a fix soon! I usually look forward to downloading books on Mondays, when I go out for WiFi after my session at the gym. Guess I'll be doing without that pleasure this week.

And as my books on my card exceed the capacity of internal memory, stashing them all in internal memory is not an option, unless I prune the list. I'd rather wait for the fix.

I'm not asking for goodwill OR compensation, but some news about whether it's OK or not to turn on WiFi without disabling my memory card access would be nice. I'm hearing reports that people have turned on WiFi and no update, but I'd prefer to hear it from the source.              

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Correspondent
Mandroid

And if it was Microsoft, it would be an "undocumentred feature".

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Contributor
kdoherty
0 Kudos

They don't test the software under enough variables before the release because they can test it on you, the customer, when it is released.  See, they figure that your wasted time on an individual basis will not be significant, they can get away with that sacrifice.  If you accumulated each individuals wasted time you would have significant losses.  That loss the company would have to absorb is now divided up upon the users and passed along.  In short, they view your lost time as 'no big deal'.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

BelgianAlien wrote:

Official instructions on how to roll back will never come from B&N, just because it involves going back to the very first version of the software and it has been reported that on some newer N1E's, it screws them up. Not as in "some data is invisible for a while" but as in "your nook is now FUBAR".

There is no need to go back to the very first version to re-install v1.5. A factory fallback will accomplish what's needed to install update 1.5. You may be able to update to v1.5 directly from v1.6 but I wouldn't trust the install unless B&N directed that action.

On failed installs if you call customer support they walk you through a factory fallback and then a manual update to the current version.

Reverting to v1.0 was a requirement for rooting your nook.

BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:
There is no need to go back to the very first version to re-install v1.5. A factory fallback will accomplish what's needed to install update 1.5. You may be able to update to v1.5 directly from v1.6 but I wouldn't trust the install unless B&N directed that action.

On failed installs if you call customer support they walk you through a factory fallback and then a manual update to the current version.

In light of this latest response: My bad, I was misinformed. If there IS indeed an official rollback to the previous version, then I agree they should post it for those interested. 

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

Let me get this right. F14Scott wants BN to provide compensation and other things, including the item quoted below.

F14Scott wrote:

4) Published official instructions for how to move books and other content from the microSD card to internal memory.

They actually already have done this. It is in an obscure language (English) in an equally obscure tome called User Guide or some such impossible to comprehend name. I have tried to understand what the runes used to explain this cumbersome process mean, but have determined BN is now responsible for sending a rentageek to my house to move said books. Or else.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

People want compensation because their NOOK refuses to walk the dog in the morning. Did you really expect anything different here?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

BelgianAlien wrote:

gstone wrote:

In light of this latest response: My bad, I was misinformed. If there IS indeed an official rollback to the previous version, then I agree they should post it for those interested. 

There is no "official rollback". This is a function the Nook has been cabable of performing since day one.

The hidden partition contains both your current operating system and a backup of the operating system that shipped with the unit.

My first Nook would rollback to v1.0. I have since received a replacement and this Nook rolls back to v1.43. (I had to perform a factory fallback to correct a failed install when v1.5 was released.)

To perform a Factory Rollback;

• Unregister your Nook.
  • Hold the power button down to turn the Nook off.
  • As soon as the Nook begins to start up, hold the power button down until it turns off.
  • Repeat this 6 times and on the 7th powerup the Nook will install the firmware version installed when the unit shipped.
  • Register your Nook.

Before running off to do this, a Factory Rollback will erase the hard drive. All of your settings will be restored to the default settings, all your shelves will be gone, all of your books will have to be downloaded again, ADE will no longer recognize the device as registered and any personal documents on the main drive will be erased.

Depending on how you use your Nook and your geekiness level, this could be a major PITA and is why B&N is not posting this as a temporary fix.

Between identifying the error in the software, editing the software and  vetting, don't be surprised if a new update is not released for a month.

Personally I would put up with shuffling files from the SD card to Main memory until a new update is released.

F14Scott
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

They actually already have done this. It is in an obscure language (English) in an equally obscure tome called User Guide or some such impossible to comprehend name. I have tried to understand what the runes used to explain this cumbersome process mean, but have determined BN is now responsible for sending a rentageek to my house to move said books. Or else.

You sure got me.  Those parts about the tome and the runes were gold, pure gold!

Are you this bitter to everyone, or only those insulated from you by the distance of the Internet?

By the way, is that the same user guide chapter that states I may use up to a 16GB microSD card?  Good stuff.

deemure
0 Kudos

F14Scott wrote:

deemure wrote:

You sure got me.  Those parts about the tome and the runes were gold, pure gold!

Are you this bitter to everyone, or only those insulated from you by the distance of the Internet?

By the way, is that the same user guide chapter that states I may use up to a 16GB microSD card?  Good stuff.

You ascribe bitterness where there is none. Sarcasm is not evidence of bitterness. People have stated that BN has posted their acknowledement of problems with 1.6. They said they were working to fix it. You ignore that. You want blood from BN, you speak as is someone kdnapped your child in every post about this. Within my attempt at humor was some actual info, since you seem to think transferring books is an overwhelmingly hard process akin to writing War and Peace, and uou stated they haven't given instructions on how to transfer books from card to nook. I stated that they have, in the User Guide. Now, tell me who is bitter?
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
keriflur
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:
There is no "official rollback". This is a function the Nook has been cabable of performing since day one.

Yes, this is true.  But in order to "roll back" to 1.5, you need to have a copy of the install file for 1.5, and you need to know how to do the rollback.

B&N could (1) stop offering the update for sideloading, (2) include info about the issue on the support page, (3) and provide rollback instructions and A LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE INSTALL FILE FOR 1.5.

It would be a smart thing to do, since if a user is having trouble now, they have to call support, which is a heck of a lot more expensive for B&N than if a user fixes their own issue.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

gstone wrote:

Yes, this is true.  But in order to "roll back" to 1.5, you need to have a copy of the install file for 1.5, and you need to know how to do the rollback.

B&N could (1) stop offering the update for sideloading, (2) include info about the issue on the support page, (3) and provide rollback instructions and A LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE INSTALL FILE FOR 1.5.

It would be a smart thing to do, since if a user is having trouble now, they have to call support, which is a heck of a lot more expensive for B&N than if a user fixes their own issue.

This is not something I recommend doing but if you just have to have v1.5 this is a link to update v1.5.0 signed_bravo_udpate from B&N's site;

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nook/v.1.5.0/signed_bravo_update.dat

Follow the instructions I posted for a Factory Rollback then manually install the update you downloaded. Turn Wifi off before updating and after updating it if is enabled.

keriflur

You're missing my point.  *I* know how to do it and have the file as others have posted the link.  B&N need to be the ones taking the lead and taking responsibility here, for the casual users out there who don't go to forums or don't know about them.  It's just good customer service.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

You're missing my point.  *I* know how to do it and have the file as others have posted the link.  B&N need to be the ones taking the lead and taking responsibility here, for the casual users out there who don't go to forums or don't know about them.  It's just good customer service.

Eh... You may feel it should work that way and I wont argue the point.

I haven't dealt with any company that operates in that manor except On the QT. I just chalk it up to corporate bureaucracy. It takes as long to get over their fear of publicly admitting to a snafu, getting the necessary authorizations, and finger pointing out of the way for something like you suggest as it does to actually implement a fix.

BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Seeing as though you practially have to take your nook apart to install it, the "casual user" will more than likely not have an SD card installed... 

That being said: show me 1 major company who published an official rollback procedure in case the new update does not work. At best you get a warning from them stating you should back up your work before installing the update. Rollback information is something users get from forums like these. 

-----------