flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

Re: B&N press event October 26

icebike wrote:

Nook and ebook sales are the only part of B&N that is making money these days.

Not the only. Trade books are falling in sales but are still reasonably profitable, and the college store chain makes stupid amounts of cash. The only place that is really hemorrhaging money are the good old music departments (which makes me sad as a music lead :smileysad:). Remember that BN has continued to turn a profit until the investments into digital were increased last year, which was really responsible for the company slipping into the red. The aggressive closing of underperforming/expensive stores that's been happening recently will free up even more cash.

I'll be happy to post the relevant data once I get home, it was all in the investor packet from the recent shareholder's meeting.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Remember that BN has continued to turn a profit until the investments into digital were increased last year, which was really responsible for the company slipping into the red. The aggressive closing of underperforming/expensive stores that's been happening recently will free up even more cash.

This is just my presumption, but I would imagine that since so many of the original Nooks had to be replaced due to cracked buttons, the company has to be taking a financial hit from that, as well.  Granted, the actual replacing of the bezel with a new sturdier plastic wouldn't cost that much, but the cost involved in the act of refurbishing the used units, manpower required to take the phone calls, process the returns, shipping the units to and fro...  It all adds up.  While this wasn't a full-fledged recall by any means, it seems that the number of replaced Nooks is quite high.  (No, IceBike - before you ask, I don't have any numbers, I'm just basing it on these forums.) 

So, now that the issue is fixed and they're no longer sending out new units as replacements, their costs associated with the cracked buttons should be diminishing quite a bit.  And in another few months, most of the original "weak bezel" Nooks will no longer be under warranty, so that should help with the costs greatly. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

B&N press event October 26 - NOOK Color tablet?

[ Edited ]

CNet has a "reliable" source that says that the big announcement for next Tuesday is NOOK Color, a 7" Android touch-screen tablet at $249. CNet speculates as to the technology of the screen itself, apparently believing it's got to be something more exotic than everyday LCD.

Question: is this just a rebranded Pandigital Novel? The Novel's about $100 cheaper than the speculated price.

Contributor
mopping_five
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here you go, icebike:

http://www.isuppli.com/teardowns-manufacturing-and-pricing/news/pages/amazon-s-kindle-2-costs-185-49...

IT's from last year, and again with the 'as i understand it,' the chip for the eink dropped from 60 to ten dollars this year.

(got this link from the good folks at moblieread)

Contributor
Fbone
0 Kudos

Re: B&N press event October 26 - NOOK Color tablet?

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Question: is this just a rebranded Pandigital Novel? The Novel's about $100 cheaper than the speculated price.

The Novel is only $199 on their own website. It's hard to imagine B&N selling them at even higher cost.

Let's hope for something else :manhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

CNet has a "reliable" source that says that the big announcement for next Tuesday is NOOK Color, a 7" Android touch-screen tablet at $249. CNet speculates as to the technology of the screen itself, apparently believing it's got to be something more exotic than everyday LCD.

WOW - I'm looking at my NOOK charging on the desk next to my monitor and it looks "so last year" now.

If this is a color NOOK with some kind of non-emissive display, then it will be Amazon playing catch-up with B&N after next week.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

http://www.pandigital.net/pandigitalnovel

Image: http://www.pandigital.net/pimg/lg_1-0000392-569.jpg

Users Manual.

The Novel is $199, so 50 dollars cheaper, not 100.

And the Novel is only WIFI.  

Toss in a 3G capability and you are right back up into the speculated price range.

And I just found a permissive change for this unit in the FCC which indicates the addition of 3G support.  

So, let the speculation begin.  Oh, wait. It already has. :smileyvery-happy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

The Novel is $199, so 50 dollars cheaper, not 100.

It lists at $199, but unlike NOOK it's available at a discount. Walgreens has them for $160; $152 for AARP members. That's why I said "about $100".

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Others have picked up on the Cnet rumor and expanded it.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/21/rumor-barnes-noble-to-show-color-nook-next-week/ 

Its still all speculation.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

Well the rumor mill at work is about something completely different than a color nook. Interesting...

Frequent Contributor
debbi801

Phandroid's website is also talking up the color nook rumor.  Sadly, mine would have to die before i could ratinalize buying another just to have color.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I read on one site that it's going to be a Mirasol display, which could be a real game changer - if nook is the first mainstream e-reader to get a color e-ink screen (particularly since amazon has already released their non-color update for this year), it's going to get a LOT of interest.

I don't think I could justify buying a new device this year, but given how much of my reading is newspapers and magazines, I would certainly be a little jealous of a color screen (I would also imagine that the mirasol display could have better B&W contrast for "regular" books).  That being said, this is a cosmetic thing, and it doesn't actually improve the content of the news/books that I'm reading.  (or, at least that's what I'm telling myself :smileywink:)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

I don't think I could justify buying a new device this year, but given how much of my reading is newspapers and magazines, I would certainly be a little jealous of a color screen (I would also imagine that the mirasol display could have better B&W contrast for "regular" books). 

craigslist the old one and make the difference your Christmas gift to yourself.  *halo*

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

very-simple wrote:

I don't think I could justify buying a new device this year, but given how much of my reading is newspapers and magazines, I would certainly be a little jealous of a color screen (I would also imagine that the mirasol display could have better B&W contrast for "regular" books). 

craigslist the old one and make the difference your Christmas gift to yourself.  *halo*

Heh.  my original was actually a Chanukah gift from my dad, but as far as the difference...I've been "in-between" jobs for a little while.  I'm not poor, and I have a few job leads in the pipeline, but buying a color e-reader in order to read what are largely (in my library) black & white books doesn't seem like a prudent/necessary use of resources at this time.

Plus, I just had to buy a new backup drive for my computer, since my old one decided to die on me yesterday, so that's my electronics budget for the rest of the year.  

I've also always been an "every other" tech upgrade person.  I upgrade my phone every two years, even though apple comes out with a new iphone every year.  when I got the nook, I figured it would be on a similar cycle, so it gets upgraded when nook 3 comes out.  Or it dies.  whichever is first.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I understand.  I'm currently "in-between" jobs due to a relocation for my husband's job.

I've not been looking as hard as I should because we can make it on one salary and I *needed* a vacation, but I certainly won't be selling my birthday gift for the color version Christmas gift for myself.  (Sorry I was presumptous.)

Inspired Contributor
MaryMcDonald
0 Kudos

Man, all these updates and new devices is making it hard for me to decide what to buy! (in a good way, that is. :smileyvery-happy: My sister and dad have a Nook and at first, I was leaning towards that, but then I uploaded my book to Amazon back in June, and after reading about the Kindle, I wanted that one. Especially when the new one came out. Then Nook said they were updating it to make it faster and a bunch of other things, and I tilted towards Nook again. Then Kindle said they were going to add the lending feature (I have a lot of Kindle owning friends online). Now Nook has some mysterious announcement, and people are speculating that it is a color Nook. If it's Mirasol, I'm there. If it's a backlit device, I'm not. 

The problem is, my bday is in a month, and I have to decide soon! Gah!

No Good Deed
Wrongly accused of a being a terrorist, Mark Taylor is labeled an enemy combatant. There's no lawyer, no trial, and he leaves his rights outside the cell.
Contributor
Scambugger
0 Kudos

I'm with you (and probably the rest of the general population)--if it's a Mirasol, I'm in.  If it's backlit, there's no reason for me to spend the extra bucks.  I'm definitely getting a Nook, it's just at this point I don't know which one.  

Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook for early Bday gift and glad that I have the gift receipt.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Well, I guess we'll all know tomorrow!

If it's just an LCD device, it's of no interest to me. I love the e-Ink... I can't stand reading off backlit displays. But I'm sure there are folks who wouldn't mind.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Why are you glad that you have the gift receipt Token. I highly doubt you will want to trade in your nook for a LCD screen Nook2.:smileywink: