Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

BN, PLEASE TELL YOUR SALES GUYS TO TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

I've seen lots of posts here stating that BN sales or tech guys have been telling potential c-nook buyers that the c-nook can switch between LCD and e-Ink.   I think it's a real disrespect to the customer to rope them in with this kind of blatant misinformation.   

Shame on you BN.   You're either telling your guys to lie outright, or you have seriously confused them with bum tech specs. 

The c-nook is an LCD, and the nook is an e-Ink.    There is no switching!  

Please tell the truth to your loyal customers, each from whom you are about to extract 250 dollars. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech

Re: BN, PLEASE TELL YOUR SALES GUYS TO TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

um... they may just not be well informed... I was in the store 2 days ago for a problem with my screen... and the person knew nothing about the nook... oooh shocker... not everyone is knowledgeable.

Actually, I rather think it is confusion on the part of the person posting, not that they are being told that.

Consumers are stupid.  Remember the whining about the original nook not being backlit and people having to explain that e-ink is supposed to be that way?

Yeah. 

Shame on your for excessive and sensationalistic condemnation.

For shame!!!

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Maybe you could say that to the people on these boards whoe seem to be able to recite what the BN guys said word for word.    If they recant what they say, I'll recant what I say.

Globaltech
0 Kudos

oh puleeez.

it was just announced yesterday.  Nobody has gotten any training at the store level. Some bit of confusion is to be expected, but anybody buying a $250.00 piece of equipment should do their own bit of due diligence.

...and those 'word for word' recitations are often nothing more than 'I wanted to hear xxxx and I did' no matter what they were really told.

Stick that in your salad spinner.

+++++++++++++++++++
Wordsmith
Michael-V

@rafalweb,

I have reported the claims to our stores and callcenters.

FYI.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

I agree with the others. If you are going to be buying something that costs a little more would you want to get information from someone that makes like $9 an hour or research on your own?

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Globaltech wrote:

oh puleeez.

it was just announced yesterday. 

That's what I was thinking.  To the OP - try some deep breaths,   all this anger and drama over an ereader isn't going to do you or anyone else  much good.   Give it some time and steer clear of the boards if it's really that upsetting.    It's all going to be ok and the B&N employees will learn more about the device as they become more familiar with it.

Linda

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

BTW, I think it's a real insult on your part to call the consumer stupid.    They're not stupid.  They just want the straight story an a product for which they're about to shell out a bunch of cash.   Have a little respect for that.  

All I'm saying is that BN should make damn sure all their sales and tech guys not only know what the real deal is with the c-nook, but are able to explain it to the consumer in such a way that no confusion or misinformation is occurring.   

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

Prep is part of a product rollout.   The rollout was in the works well before yesterday, so the prep should have taken place beforehand.     What you're stating is a poor excuse.   I would understand it if it were a mom and pop operation, but BN is a big company.

Hope you like my salad.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael.    Just looking out for the buyers.......

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

In general I have found the salespeople to be rather poorly informed, and I'm sure B&N has lost many sales due to salespeople being incapable of contrasting the Nook's most distinctive features with the Kindle.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

1. It's NOOKcolor, not c-nook or Color Nook or ColorNook or other variations people are using. (Yeah, I'm being a branding Nazi, but it's irritating. Even if you don't want to get the odd capitalization and lack of spaces correct, it's "nook color" not "color nook".)

2. Where is there ANY evidence that B&N is encouraging the sales people to lie? This is a VERY serious accusation, and you've got nothing to back it up. A few sales people making these statements isn't even evidence that those sales people are telling lies, much less that B&N is behind it. Far more likely, these sales people are just uninformed. That's an issue that B&N should address, but it's a far cry from the screaming title of this thread.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

I said either, or.    If I only said that BN is asking the sales guys to lie, that would have been a real accusation.    But ok, fair enough.   I'll backtrack from that line for now (although I don't trust any company and NO company is above fudging the sales lines to make an extra buck).    Still, the statement is real misinformation, and should be corrected.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

Read the title of this thread, which is SCREAMED at the reader. It's a full blown accusation, not an "either, or". You're rant in the actual post also used extremely accusatory text within bolded statements. Statements that at best exagerate the reality that a few sales folks may have misrespresented the product. There's no evidence of malicious intent or widespread incompetence. You're overreacting, and slinging around mud.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

Ok, as you see it.   As I state, I trust no company to be completely honest, and that's how I see things.    You may disagree, but I'll be happy to SCREAM my opinions to the world.   Either the sales guys are seriously misinformed or confused, or BN is feeding them a line.    You won't convince me otherwise.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

I don't care if I convince you of anything. I will stand up and point out you're making baseless accusations, though, whether YOU like it or not.

BTW, understanding that companies are driven by money and being skeptical are good traits, but what you're saying here leans much closer to paranoia. That's not healthy. Most companies aren't going to be deceitful, because in the end that's not good for business. Yes, there will be instances you can point to, but that doesn't change reality. Unless you have proof of deceit be as skeptical as you want, but leave the accusations out of public forums.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

My statement can be seen as an accusation, but I see it as my view of what's going on.   If it seems strong, thenlike I said, I'll backtrack onte "accusation" part, but I still say that BN should be prepping their guys to the letter to give the consumers the correct story.

And I'm not paranoid, I'm just think everyone is out to steal my money........

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

I'm not sure I get your gripe.

I am much more informed about the Nook than most of the sales people in my BN. Why? Because I did my research, bought my ereader and learned as much as I could about it.

I don't expect BN to be as well informed regarding the ereader as they should be, not too many sales people ever are in any area,  so I went into it with my eyes open.

I think some people expect too much from retail associates. They are not trained in every aspect of sales. In my opinion, Nook is still a relatively new concept for BN even though they introduced Nookcolor, which is an entirely different item.

Globaltech

rafalweb wrote:

Prep is part of a product rollout.   The rollout was in the works well before yesterday, so the prep should have taken place beforehand.     What you're stating is a poor excuse.   I would understand it if it were a mom and pop operation, but BN is a big company.

Hope you like my salad.

Now you are just tossing the salad :smileyvery-happy:

Prep is part of rollout, but, much like apple's releases, nobody at store level knows anything until the official unveiling... and you expect these people to be experts in a product? 

...and yes, while you may disagree, a secret unveiling to whoop the kindle for xmas is a major marketing bonus...  heck the product won't even ship until 11/19, so for any poor & confused people, there is time to educate themselves. 

...and now you backtrack on your overzealous accusations... as you should.

again, it was just announced yesterday.  Formal training will be held for both sales staff and tech support.  But what we have right now is merely an announcement and an option to pre-order, which can still be cancelled.

Don't be so cranky.  Lighten up and realize that the training is coming.  But again, I'm not a stupid consumer who takes any salespersons word for anything.  $250 isn't a huge amount of money for me, but it does warrant careful consideration and thought about what may be best for me. 

That is one of the points of this forum after all.... and if you notice, the admin is forwarding those concerns on to management.

Breath in, breath out and realize the world is not ending.

Don't be a drama queen.

+++++++++++++++++++
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

Not cranky.  I smile at every word I type in.     And the world is no fun w/o drama queens.    Disagreement without injury is not a bad thing.   I'm opinionated, and that's it.   But I'm no h8r.  

And I'm not against the sales guys or the tech guys.    I have strong feelings about the corporations in general.    Lemme clarify.     I do not accuse the sales people.    I rail after the company.