Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: BN, PLEASE MAKE UP STUFF TO SELL MORE PRODUCTS

[ Edited ]

By the way, the same two people posting that this was information they were given are the only ones I can find that state this.  And they are citing their experiences which they posted in another thread.  They are referencing themselves.

The wording that was given in the other thread was that this was said by the BN employee:

"Btw, he also said that the Nook Color has the option of backlight OR e-reader style (with a lamp or the sun). So you can have both!"

This is vastly different from saying it had e-ink and LCD in one device.  The vivid view technology and anti-glare screen on the NOOKcolor is supposed to make it more readable in sunlight or by lamplight compared to other LCD screens like on the iPad.  So the employee was not lying.

Look at this page from BN's website:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-feature-color-touchscreen/379002480/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=35703&...

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
JaneRenee

deemure wrote:

By the way, the same two people posting that this was information they were given are the only ones I can find that state this.  And they are citing their experiences which they posted in another thread.  They are referencing themselves.

The wording that was given in the other thread was that this was said by the BN employee:

"Btw, he also said that the Nook Color has the option of backlight OR e-reader style (with a lamp or the sun). So you can have both!"

This is vastly different from saying it had e-ink and LCD in one device.  The vivid view technology on the NOOKcolor is supposed to make it more readable in sunlight or by lamplight.  So the employee was not even close to lying.

e-reader style = e-ink. I'm not saying he was "lying". He was just not educated on it and, therefore, shouldn't have been talking about it yet.

I know what the context of the conversation was ok? Let's just drop it. 

-Jane Renee
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am glad to drop it.  This was a ridiculous topic created for some unknown reasons.  It could definitely have been worded more charitably and also repeated information that has already been complained about by the same person in one other thread. The OP seems to cite your experience as an example as well.  I did not mean you stated someone lied, but that the person wanted to "look better" or some such.

It's great to accuse people of something and then not find a receptive audience because others are not quite so willing to infer the worst. 

And no, I am not privy to your conversation and am not naive enough to think there are not people that do bad things, but 2 fuzzy examples do not a trend make.

Dropped.  Yay!

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
redfraggle_98

Re: BN, PLEASE TELL YOUR SALES GUYS TO TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!!!

I think we need to cut the salespeople some slack.  I bought my nook about four days before they rolled out the free $50 giftcard promo in late May, early June.  The staff at my B&N was very willing to work with me when I called them and asked if I was eligible for the promo.  They were very nice and friendly to me.  They also explained that they had just found out about the promotion the same time that I did.  I'm sure they wouldn't have been so willing to work with me if I had not taken and deep breath and calmly asked the question.

Reader
TIRLACA
0 Kudos

You almost sound like a Apple fan boy - dishing on a Windows operating system (e-ink versus LCD IP technology). I think you are a bit premature in screaming about a product that hasn't even been released yet. I agree with the others that have posted on this thread - If you are buying an electronic item (or any product) you need to do your research.B&N specifically says exactly what the Nookcolor is on their website. Enough said on theis e-ink versus LCD display. If you don't like LCG displays for an ereader then DONT BUY IT.

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

The experience in the "brick and mortor" store I frequent the booksellers are reasoanbly well informed about the nook.  I have dealt with at least 3 who are pretty well informed.  Of course, when I walk in they ask if they can help me and I just state that I wish to find information on the Nookcolor.  There are at least 2 employees who are very well informed on the subject.  They generally page the nook person and they come to help me.  These people have never told me a lie.  If they don't know they say so and say to me that either they had never thought of that or information is still coming in to them and they will try to find the answer for me. 

This experience has been my experience with all the booksellers I have dealt with.  :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

I have spoken to both my local BN and customer service.  We all need to give them a break -- they received a minuscule amount of information about 5 minutes before the actual launch.  The employee I dealt with mainly on my Nook classic is still there and he has done the most delving into the issues (per other employees) on the nookcolor.  Both customer service and store employees only new 5 minutes before we did.

That type of thing should not have happened, in my humble opinion.  Unfortunately, this is modus operandi for these things.

:smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Again, if I were the consumer I would not purchase from Wal-Mart.  I went on line and the 2 items I found were the wi-fi version and the 3G version.  The prices on those, at least on line, are $1 less than the price at BN.com.  For $1 I woud get the item from the "horse's mouth".  

Gai

deemure
0 Kudos

Jazola wrote:

Again, if I were the consumer I would not purchase from Wal-Mart.  I went on line and the 2 items I found were the wi-fi version and the 3G version.  The prices on those, at least on line, are $1 less than the price at BN.com.  For $1 I woud get the item from the "horse's mouth".  

Gai

I agree but only because I have other issues with Walmart and they are more regarding the corporation and not the store level employees.  My experience with most people in the retail world is that most of them do try to be helpful.  This has also been my case with BN people.  And I know I am not alone.  It just sometimes there has to be the idea that is not so cynical that gives people the benefit of the doubt.

I get so sick of the idea that seems to have taken hold in our everyday lives that borrows from the media-if it bleeds it leads.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have had iffy experiences with salespeople.  And yet, I can in no way begin to count the number of positive experiences if I were to have a large room full of people and counted their fingers and toes and nostrils.

Frequent Contributor
Wisdana
0 Kudos

When the iPad came out in April, I did a lot of research on it before I decided to buy one for my husband. When we went to Best Buy to check them out, I asked the salesman several questions, and got told one or two things that were wrong. I mentioned what I had read and was told I was wrong. Well, guess what? He was wrong, because I double-checked. I didn't have a heart attack, I just went ahead and bought one anyway, because what he was wrong about (paying for 3G) didn't matter since we bought the wifi only one. My point, I guess, is that not everyone knows everything, so do your own research and be as informed as possible.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

1) You take offense to WAY to many things, WAY to easily. This is the interwebs, get used to people not agreeing with you.

2) Consumers, almost as a whole, are undereducated about the products they want to buy..This is one way of saying the consumer is ignorant, or stupid. It is true, I work in electronics retail and I can tell you that about 1/4-1/5 of my clients know anything about even the most consumed products on the planet(cell phones, pcs, tvs).

3) The nookColor was just announced a few days ago, and you expect someone who makes $8 or $9 an hour to be COMPLETELY aware of that product, as well as all the other products they sell, you are crazy. I make significantly more than that to do what I do, and I still don't know everything..In fact, if you walked into my store, and spoke to anyone in there, their personal knowledge would be different, even though we work at the same store, and sell the same products, they might know more or less than I do.

So if this is TLDR material, get your head out of your ass, do some research yourself, then go to B&N and learn more about the nook color...kk?

Darkkin

'People hear what they want to hear and disregard the rest...'  - The Boxer, Simon and Garfunkel

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

deemure
0 Kudos

Exactly.  Often what seems to be someone not being truthful is miscommunication.  A salesperson may hear one thing that was meant as something else and then gives out info that the buyer misunderstands as meaning something else altogether.

Give peace a chance..

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

They just announced c-nook. Don't expect the sales people to know much about it either. Consider how long the nook has been out and as far back as July and August some of the sales clerks weren't able to answer customer questions. It turned out to be passerbys that already had a nook that were able to stop and answer curious customer questions.

Combine that with the fact that most of the people working there now are teens, are you really really that surprised about the lack of information the sales clerks know? Really?

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

There's also a lot to be said for hands-on self-training. Despite the tech specs that they sent us when NOOK originally launched last year, it wasn't until a demo unit was available at my store in December that we were really able to wrap our heads around what the device did and how it worked.

While we do have a year's worth of experience to build from, it's just as likely there'll be a bit of a learning curve with NOOKcolor as well. I hope everyone will please be patient and certainly not jump to ludicrous conclusions like the OP did.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

There's also a lot to be said for hands-on self-training. Despite the tech specs that they sent us when NOOK originally launched last year, it wasn't until a demo unit was available at my store in December that we were really able to wrap our heads around what the device did and how it worked.

While we do have a year's worth of experience to build from, it's just as likely there'll be a bit of a learning curve with NOOKcolor as well. I hope everyone will please be patient and certainly not jump to ludicrous conclusions like the OP did.

THIS is exactly the truth.  I bought mine right away, and although store training materials were available, i was ahead of the curve because I was using mine daily.  The knowlege level at my store varies, but EVERYONE has gone through the training and I can guarantee that if they dont have an answer they know where or who to go to to get one (and I do not refer to myself here)  The same will go for the color model once more info (and a demo device) is available.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!