Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
SanSW
0 Kudos

Back light in the reading area of the nook

Am I missing something  - isnt there a backlight in the reading area of the nook which will allow you to read in dimly lit areas.  I have found how to adjust the brightness in the touch screen area but not the reading area.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Back light in the reading area of the nook

No backlight on any E-Ink screen, Nook, Kindle, or Sony.  

Backlights cause eye strain and battery drain.

Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs
0 Kudos

This is a joke right?

Correspondent
EmrysIN

You have an eReader, not a laptop. No backlight is a major perk because it doesn't strain your eyes.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@SanSW

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Our good friend and fellow poster, Grammaknits02, found what you're looking for.  See her post:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/I-Found-the-Backlight/m-p/626642

Warning:  some people have found enough dust bunnies around the base of their backlights to require additional housecleaning -- hope that isn't true for you. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

I highly recommend you take up smoking.  With each flavor filled inhalation of that tasty tasty cigarette you get a nice red glow on your beautiful e-ink display to read by.  PLUS, you look cool too!  Man... I miss smoking.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@SanSW

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Our good friend and fellow poster, Grammaknits02, found what you're looking for.  See her post:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/I-Found-the-Backlight/m-p/626642

Warning:  some people have found enough dust bunnies around the base of their backlights to require additional housecleaning -- hope that isn't true for you. :smileywink:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!  ABthree--you are soooooooooo bad!!!!

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

@SanSW - Welcome!

As you use your nook, you'll really be glad it's not backlit.  B&N sells the Lyra Light and the Mighty Bright lights, and there are other lights out there. 

Lyra Light 

It also comes in other colors.

Mighty Bright Green Xtraflex 2 LED Booklight  

There are a variety of different Mighty Bright lights.

New User
SanSW
0 Kudos

Well my IPOD touch does have a backlight which was convenient but the screen was too small which is why I chose a Nook.

Contributor
Philothea
0 Kudos

ABthree, 

Thanks for making me laugh.  I really enjoyed the staging, execution, and result of your backlight post.  PRICELESS !!!!

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

Yes, your iPOD Touch does have a backlight--because it has a different type of screen that basically requires a backlight to be visible.  It is also why the battery only lasts a couple of hours if the screen is constantly in use.

No e-Ink screen on the market has a backlight.  As the others stated, it causes eye strain and it also drains the battery.  You are able to buy various clip-on lights through B&N or other retailers if you wish.  Or do what I do and turn on a lamp.  :smileywink:

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

SanSW wrote:

Well my IPOD touch does have a backlight which was convenient but the screen was too small which is why I chose a Nook.

All kidding aside ... the Nook (and Kindle and Kobo and Sony eReader) are ebook readers using eInk technology. The beauty of the technology is that it gives you, the reader, an experience similar to reading a regular book. There is no harsh back-lighting, which, as other posters mentioned, causes eyestrain. Also, you can go outside in the bright sun and read the Nook as easily as a paperback book. Try doing that on a device with a reflective screen (like an iPod or iPad) and the screen is washed out.

If you like reading in bed at night, there are plenty of mini-lights for the Nook - there is even a cover with a built-in light. You'll see that the Nook is ideal for its purpose - reading! Give it a try and I'm sure you'll see the benefits the device has. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Or if you find you don't enjoy it then return your Nook and exchange it for an eye-strain promoting device.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

This is technically correct. The E-Ink screen is opaque, and a backlight wouldn't light up anything.

Sony did make one model with a built-in front-light: the PRS-700. The front-light is rough on battery life; the battery will run down after about 4 hours with the light on. Sony chose not to make any more readers with a built-in light.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

To those that REALLY wanted to be able to read the (yes, I said "the") Nook in a dark sauna....we are just so S.O.L. :smileysad:

Hope to see you later at...

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

SanSW wrote:

You chose the nook?  I assumed you got it as a gift.  

If you chose it, it would suggest a modicum of research was done where you would have discovered that no e-ink reader as a backlight.  So its the book light route or the lamp for you I guess. The good news is that with future versions of the nook software it will sync your position between the iPod and the nook, so you can use both, and have each know where you are in the book.

Inspired Correspondent
LEChakan
0 Kudos

Continued reading on a backlit device (ie. Iphone, Blackberry, etc.) tires the eyes quickly, ergo the emergence of E-Ink devices, which are purely for reading pleasure.

I hope you enjoy your Nook as much as I enjoy mine! 

New User
crz4mist
0 Kudos

I am currently trying to delete a book from my nook. I noticed on BN website it said open the book then click on the menu screen. Anyone have any idea where the menu screen is?

Thanks,

Misty

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Start a new thread for this topic Misty.  

This thread is about back lights.

You probably don't want to delete, you want to archive.  

Its only possible to do actual deletes from the web site.

Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Backlights cause eye strain and battery drain.

LOL! Yeah, right. Thanks for that "Doctor."