Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Re: Back light in the reading area of the nook

Bruce, he is correct, its the same reason people are supposed to be given breaks after a certain period of time working on computers.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

RedRapier wrote:

Bruce, he is correct, its the same reason people are supposed to be given breaks after a certain period of time working on computers.

The amount of battery power a backlight uses is infinitismal. I guess maybe in the business world people have to get break time - we can't have anymore law suits, right? "My eyes! I don't get breaks!" What nonsense. I'm on one of my PC's a minimum of 8 hours a day working on coding, my websites, my forums, etc., and I have no problems at all with eye strain. There are many other factors that can cause eye strain other than a mildly back lit nook, notebook or whatever.

But hey - whatever floats the boat.

Correspondent
Kirk_S

Brucester wrote:

The amount of battery power a backlight uses is infinitismal.

You misspelled "huge". I can easily double my iPod Touch's battery life by lowering the brightness. I would say that on a lightly-loaded system, like a laptop that's sitting there waiting for you to type into a word processor or an iPod that's not actively running an app, the backlight is the single largest power draw.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Same on my Droid X.  If I look at what is using the most battery power the "screen" is always on the top of the list.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Brucester wrote:

RedRapier wrote:

The amount of battery power a backlight uses is infinitismal. I guess maybe in the business world people have to get break time - we can't have anymore law suits, right? "My eyes! I don't get breaks!" What nonsense. I'm on one of my PC's a minimum of 8 hours a day working on coding, my websites, my forums, etc., and I have no problems at all with eye strain. There are many other factors that can cause eye strain other than a mildly back lit nook, notebook or whatever.

I'm confused...why are you here? You don't come across as as a Nook owner or even a person who would buy an ereader with an E-Ink display. So...why are you even here trolling a forum dedicated to such a device? And if you ARE an owner of a DEDICATED ereader with such a display and yet this is your opinion......WHY did you buy it? and if you didn't...again...why are you HERE?

pamela

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Brucester wrote:

RedRapier wrote:

Well, my eye surgeon and I had a discussion about Nooks, Kindles and iPads.  He stated that he had purchased an iPad but that he found it strained his eyes when reading for extended periods on it and that he was going back to his Kindle.  But he's only a medical trained ophthalmologist so I wouldn't take his word for it. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Brucester wrote:

RedRapier wrote:

I'm confused...why are you here? You don't come across as as a Nook owner or even a person who would buy an ereader with an E-Ink display. So...why are you even here trolling a forum dedicated to such a device? And if you ARE an owner of a DEDICATED ereader with such a display and yet this is your opinion......WHY did you buy it? and if you didn't...again...why are you HERE?

pamela

I think that the word you're all struggling for is spelled T-R-O-L-L. 

Best to leave Brucester to play with ... himself? :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

I think that the word you're all struggling for is spelled T-R-O-L-L. 

Best to leave Brucester to play with ... himself? :smileyhappy:

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:
**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Or if you find you don't enjoy it then return your Nook and exchange it for an eye-strain promoting device.

No eye strain for me on my Nook or my iPad eye-strain promoting device. :smileytongue: