Reader 4
BoscosMom
0 Kudos

Background seems darker after upgrade

Does the background seem darker after the 1.5 upgrade? Mine seems a noticeable darker shade of grey after the upgrade, before it was almost white. Is this something anybody else is experiencing? Is there anyway to adjust it? I have it set to auto adjust but still is too dark.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Background seems darker after upgrade

There is no way to adjust the brightness or background on the e-ink reading screen.  The "Auto Adjust" that you are talking about is strictly for the lower LCD screen.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Some sample photos posted on an earlier thread showed a darker background with 1.5.

My wife and I have NOOKs (original 3G model), and she's upgraded to 1.5 while I'm refusing the update. My 1.4 has a lighter background than her 1.5 in Reading mode but not elsewhere. Page turns on 1.5 are faster in Reading mode and slower elsewhere. Also, fonts are noticeably bolder in Reading mode but not elsewhere.

Pure speculation on my part: something changed that slowed page turns even more. B&N found a way to speed up page turns by darkening the background, and did that only on the Reading screen. In order to compensate for the darker background, they used bolder fonts for Reading mode.

Any or all of the above may turn out to be nonsense. I'm just reporting my personal observations and speculation.

Reader
honeybeeBY
0 Kudos

This is the same problem I am having w/my Nook.  The background color is very dark.  It is not even the shade of grey anymore.  The background color on my Nook is like a greenish grey color that makes reading on it uncomfortable.  I have called customer service several times in reference to my problem.  Customer service by the way is horrible.  I must have spoken to about 5 reps and each time I gave them information.  But when I called back to follow-up nothing was noted in my record about previous calls.  If your product is defective, why make the customer feel like they did something wrong.  I AM SORRY I DID NOT GO WITH MY DECISION TO PURCHASE THE KINDLE INSTEAD....

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Greenish gray?

Not on my updated Nook Classic.

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

Greenish gray?

Not on my updated Nook Classic.

Nor on mine. My background does seem a bit darker but it doesn't affect my reading and truthfully, I hadn't really noticed the difference until this thread appeared.